Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Salt water Fishing tips and tricks » bait size?

bait size?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1bait size? Empty bait size? on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:17 am

kin

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Out of curiosity, what is the largest bait size everyone is comfortable fishing spotties with?

I'm pretty big on 3.5" but i'm hesitant on going anywhere past 4.5". But thinking about the spinner bait fish, spotties will inhale the larger baits just fine. Should I just be throwing larger baits overall to better my chances at the true pigs?

2bait size? Empty Re: bait size? on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:25 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Bigger Baits bigger fish, smaller baits more fish that is what I understand. I will fish up to a 4" plastic and if I like the way it looks in the water I will go up to 5" but 3" is my go-to most often.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3bait size? Empty Re: bait size? on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:38 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
It depends on where you’re fishing. Fishing San Diego Bay, I start with a 5” swimbait and a spinnerbait with a 4” trailer. Fishing in San Diego’s South Bay, I fish a 2 1/2 inch grub. The little grub catches legal spotties, legal halibut, and corvina. Mission bay, 3” baits work great but so do 5” plastics and big spinnerbaits. I think you need to match the size of the baitfish that are available at the time. Just my dos centavos.

4bait size? Empty Re: bait size? on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:42 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
By the way, spotties are pigs. I’ve caught them on 7” swimbaits so don’t be afraid to go big.

5bait size? Empty Re: bait size? on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the largest bait size everyone is comfortable fishing spotties with?

I'm pretty big on 3.5" but i'm hesitant on going anywhere past 4.5". But thinking about the spinner bait fish, spotties will inhale the larger baits just fine. Should I just be throwing larger baits overall to better my chances at the true pigs?

GREAT QUESTION!

I'm definitely not as experienced as most that will chime-in here on this topic and I'm not really certain of what-it-is that you consider to be a "true pig".

Personally ... I stay true to my 1/4oz HUB's.
I've landed some pretty nice SW PB's recently and in the past using them.

My best PB pigs were a Spotty at 18 3/4", a 25" Barracuda a few weeks ago and (2) 36" 21-lbs Halibut out of the (6) legal Hali's I landed last season, to name a few.

For me what is important: ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] confidence in my lure, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] timing: being at the right place on the water at the right time, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] bait presentation ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] understanding the desired habitats of your targeted species and finally [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which is the most important ....... 50% skill and 50% LUCK!

If you feel that going larger or changing colors will entice the bite for you .... then I say ... go for it! Thumbs Up

Good luck out there landing your pigs!

SP Dan      <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

6bait size? Empty Re: bait size? on Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:13 pm

kin

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just curious to see what everyone else says. I've been doing some damage on the spotties and it seems like even the small ones (I'm talking about 6" class fish) have been absolutely choking my bait. I enjoy the action, but I feel bad pulling on the little ones. Just looking to see if I size up from 3.5 up to 4.5 and won't see too much of a drop in bites. So far, sounds like if the fishery allows it to, go for it. I'll size up when I see/confirm the fish are feeding on larger sized baits.

7bait size? Empty Re: bait size? on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Go big or go home right LOL

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8bait size? Empty Re: bait size? on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:48 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin