FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 2 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trolling motor on Cumberland

+3
Jerdon
SP Dan
tednruthy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Trolling motor on Cumberland Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:50 pm

tednruthy

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi All,  My 3rd post.  I spent the spring until now studying rod holders and misc mods you all and others on UTube have done.  My goal was to use your ideas on my tube and to add a trolling motor.  I am 72 yrs old and have limits to how far I can push myself around with fins.  I am less than a year into this sport but have fished all my life.  I am finally at a point where I am happy with my setup and wish to share.  I have a 24FtLb MinnKota I bought used.  I turned the motor around on the shaft so that it PULLS when the tiller is mounted pointing backwards.  I started with the transom centered in the front of the tube but moved it to the side and now steer very comfortably with my left arm.  I have a VMax 35AH 12V sealed battery in a battery box in the bow behind my back.  Plenty of power for my small Garmin fish finder, a 12V air pump and the motor for I am guessing at least 4 hours of intermittent use.  The trolling/running speed is 0.5 to 2.4 mph.  It feels very stable when powering around.  I weight about 215 lbs, the battery about 25 and the motor about 15.  I still carry the fins stored behind the seat for insurance.  See the pictures and ask any questions you like.  I have had it out on the water for about 3 hours total trying it and making adjustments.
The tube looks front heavy but when I set in the seat it looks very level.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:09 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

It looks like a well-thought-out motorized float tube.
I wish you many hours of enjoyable leisurely fishing once you get motored over to your fishing spots Sir! Thumbs Up
Thank you for sharing your ride with all of us!

SP Dan     <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

3Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

It looks like it works great.
How is launching with that set up? I mean can you walk any distance and set up, or do you back right up to a launch ramp?

4Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Kathy

Kathy
FTFF Gathering Officer

great looking set up ... thanks for sharing and glad it is working for you.. will be planning something for mine next season... meanwhile playing with my fishing kayak, pontoon and Cumberland float tube.. kayak and pontoon motorized just need to deal with the float tube next... just because I can.. lol

5Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:49 pm

tednruthy

FTFF Gathering Officer

Jerdon wrote:It looks like it works great.
How is launching with that set up? I mean can you walk any distance  and set up, or do you back right up to a launch ramp?

Ref the launch question.  I carry the battery box, transom, motor, fins, tray and tackle/poles down to the shore/launch location separate from the tube.  I carry the The tube, and all the gear that fits in the zip pockets by flipping the tube upside down on my head and walk down.  Oh, the rod holders/battery box frame (all the PVC) is strapped onto the tube that is pre-inflated and in the back of the SUV or truck.  About 3-4 trips on foot.  Close parking is good.  I built a set of wheels but haven't tried them yet.
Ted in the 'FT Wet Nuts'

6Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

i LOVE this setup. Has anyone a parts list, table of limits and/or construction instructions?

However, I'll be importing a lithium battery (12vdc, 30AH) from China. Lithium batteries all come from there, anyway, so i might as well cut out the middleman, and deal directly with the sellers. AliExpress.com has a LOT of good batteries (lithium) that will cost you about the same as lead acid over here, will last longer, can be more deeply discharged than lead-acid batteries and is THE storage medium of the present and future. The demand for lithium is growing exponentially, so get in on the ground floor.

The other thing about dealing with China is this: once you get used to the shipping times (about a month for the free shipping) and start planning ahead, it's really easy to stay out ahead of anticipated needs. Just order far enough in advance, and relax. Keep track of it (I will help if asked, I know a lot of the procedures, now; please PM for more info) but if you're expecting an American level of customer service, you'll be disappointed. As I said, you can do better but not in the US.

But man, if you have instructions and specs for your motor mounting system, I'll owe you a blast of your favorite adult beverage or cannabis strain.

Pissing on tariffs is fun, too. I pee on 'em a lot.

7Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

This is my set up a little heavy but you can unhook it and leave it on the shore when Fishing it works sunny

8Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:07 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

DANG Rick!!
That is one heck of a SWEET setup Sir!! Thumbs Up
I’d luv to see that in action! :lol What a Face

9Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Wow that is cool both setups are way cool.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

10Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:08 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

That's a great setup but I won't be using a lead-acid battery, I need the weight carrying for my fat a$$, but the battery and the fish finder (and battery) weight very little (Garmin Striker 4) so I don't need the float and they're not made any more, anyway.

I like TednRuthy's setup more. Compact, yet elegant and simple. I just need the design specs (length of the structural tubing segments). Are TednRuthy still around?

11Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

that is just to fight the wind at silver Wood it is about 10 years old salute

12Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Kathy wrote:just because I can.. lol
Not only that, you're doing it so we don't have to. Very Happy

13Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Reply to OLDMAN Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:55 am

tednruthy

FTFF Gathering Officer

OLDMAN,  I am still around but been traveling from NJ to MI.  I will unpack the "FT Wet Nuts" and take some more pictures of the frame and transom in the next few days. I originally had my motor in the center front but it was way too difficult to steer with the tiller behind my head while setting facing the other direction!

14Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:39 pm

tednruthy

FTFF Gathering Officer

All, I am posting here by request more pictures and explanation of my MinnKota powered Cumberland.
I weight about 215#.  The Cumberland is rated at 350# load capacity.  The motor and sealed lead AGM battery and box add about 60#.  The motor is a 24 ft/lb 12v old MinnKota.  It is a standard rear transom mount that I simply removed one bolt in the down shaft and spun the motor 180 degrees to reverse the direction, so it now PULLS instead of pushes the tube.  The left side mounted transom is very comfortable to drive.  I added a large steel wide angle ‘Ski mirror’ I bought from Amazon so I can see where I am going since I face opposite the direction I travel.  I estimate the battery life to be over 4 hours with full time fish finder use and intermittent powering and trolling use of the motor.  The FF shows the battery voltage.
The following pictures [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] show the tube with the PVC assembly and motor on it and in the water.  Note in picture [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that the tube is low in the bow due to the motor and battery weight.  When I set on the seat it balances out fine.  I have the battery mounted as far to the opposite side of the bow compartment as possible to offset the motor hanging off the left side.  Side to side is nicely balanced this way.  NOTE that this rod holder frame has been redone many times to improve it so it has a LOT of extra couplings etc.  I tried a center front transom first, but the motor steering/control was VERY uncomfortable, so I switched to the left side which is great.
I am now going to try to insert 28 pictures with some explanations.  
Let me mention that this PVC frame is made to take apart and fit in a cardboard box. The entire boat and accessories minus the poles and battery fit in a car top carrier as I travel all summer in a motor home.
In picture [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the up arrow on the left shows the back of the tube a little up out of the water.

In picture [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] note the transom holds the cover on the battery box.

Picture [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] shows the direction of travel and comfort of control.

Picture [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] shows where each bow corner of the PVC assembly fits in relation to the air valves and the battery box location.

Pictures [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] hopefully leave few questions.  I do not include exact measurements.  You can modify to suit your needs as far as rod holders etc.  I fasten this onto the tube with four pieces of nylon rope from the corners to the D rings on the bottom of the tube.  I leave minimal stuff on the tackle pockets and of course carry the motor, battery, fins, poles, anchor and remaining tackle and bait in separate trips from the car or truck.  3-4 trips I'd say.

Send specific questions via PM or this thread if you have them.

[You must be
registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be

[You must be

[You must be
#!9

[You must be

15Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

This is great, but what diameter PVC did you use?

16Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

tednruthy

A step by step guide from a tested design. I like how the battery is slung low to keep the center of gravity down.

Thanks for sharing

17Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm

tednruthy

FTFF Gathering Officer

OldMan wrote:This is great, but what diameter PVC did you use?

The frame is all 3/4 inch pvc.  The rod holder elbows (not shown) are 1 inch and the tubes that slide over them are 1 1/4 inch.  Like the mirror tube is 1 1/4 and it slides into the short 1 inch PVC in picture [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  I used all schedule 40, the white as you can see.

ROD HOLDERS, Etc..  Every vertical threaded female location shown gets optional rod holders or 'whatever' holders, net, pliers, flag, you name it.  Maybe you all might not realize this.  I didn't show these for clarity purposes... See picture [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that shows 3 of these fittings for example.

18Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:41 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Welp, now I have my fall/winter project. Next spring, we be POWERED!!!

I think I'm going to turn mine around, so the tube it self go backward (forward as I'm sitting). I can turn the motor backward or forward depending on which direction I want to go.

TednRuthy, thank you SO MUCH!!! You get to the Bay Area, dinner's on me!!!

Folks, use lithium batteries for this setup. You won't regret it.

19Trolling motor on Cumberland Empty Re: Trolling motor on Cumberland Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Impressive design Sir! Thumbs Up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum