FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Umbrella rig
by jmytuna Yesterday at 9:49 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:27 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Safety Safety Safety

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Safety Safety Safety Empty Safety Safety Safety Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:56 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This has been our theme for years now Safety Safety Safety this is something we should all think of. Wear your life vest know your waters, and be sure to have a plan in case. I was looking online today and found some float tube fishing articles. This one was a story about going overboard.

Just part of the article
"I was anchored in about 16 feet of water at about 4 p.m.," Crooks recalled. "You sit up high on that kick boat of mine. There is no stripping apron on that model either, so the line goes down by your legs. Normally, it's not a big deal because guys use floating line. But with the sinking stuff, the line goes down and can tangle with your legs. Three or four times previously, it wrapped around my swim fin, and I reached down and untangled it."
"On this occasion, it wrapped around the buckle on the side of my fin, and I couldn't flick it off. So I lifted my left leg and reached down and bent forward to take the line off," he said.
Between the waves rocking the craft and Crooks leaning over to reach the buckle on his fins, the balance of the kick boat was tipped.
"The next thing I knew, I had just touched the fly line on my fin and as soon as I touched it, the float tube turned upside down," Crooks said. "It happened so fast you donbt even realize what happened. Just as I was going over, I heard Mark yell, 'Oh, no!' I was in the water. The water was 56 degrees. Fortunately, it wasn't in the 40s. But believe me, 56 is cold."
Crooks had a life jacket beside him on the kick boat, as required by Wyoming law. He wasn't wearing it. Now, with the kick boat upside down, he couldn't get to it.
"I was legal with the life jacket on board. Wyoming law doesn't require boaters to be wearing one, just to have one with them. I had assumed that being legal meant I was also being safe. That was a bad assumption," he said.
"I went completely under and came back up. I had my fly rod in my left hand. The kick boat was now upside down, but because it was anchored, it didn't move. I grabbed that with my right hand," he said. "Those tubes (pontoons) are big and they're hard to hang onto. When you get shocked like that, you begin to not think clearly. The change in your body's environment is so dramatic and so instantaneous."

I have seen people go into the drink, and have heard stories as well. Please everyone is careful out there and always wear you PFD.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2Safety Safety Safety Empty Re: Safety Safety Safety Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

If any of you float tubers out there have a swimming pool or have access to a swimming pool, why don’t you try this sometime as a personal test:

Set your float tube into your pool with your life jacket sitting next to you on your tube,  voluntarily flip your tube over (no cheating by touching the bottom of the pool) and see how difficult it is to put your life jacket on when it’s floating next to you in the water and also how difficult it is to flip your tube back to right-side-up and to get back onto the seat of it!

I’d like to hear from you on how difficult it actually was for you to achieve getting your PFD jacket-on and to right side your tube and then to get back onto it.
Let’s not forget to add the equation of that you have just dumped all your rods, gear and electronic equip down to the bottom of the 55° to 65° pool or lake! Burrrrr!!

I always wear my PFD! No excuses!

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

3Safety Safety Safety Empty Re: Safety Safety Safety Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I have pushed off into the water from my Cumberland to test out how it would be to climb back on in the warm waters of Lake Perris. It us exceptionally difficult and requires a great deal of energy. I have decided if I do go in I will hang on to the tube for floatation and back stroke to shore.

4Safety Safety Safety Empty Re: Safety Safety Safety Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:27 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Did you have your life jacket on or did you attempt to put it on after you were in the water?

5Safety Safety Safety Empty Re: Safety Safety Safety Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

SP Dan wrote:Did you have your life jacket on or did you attempt to put it on after you were in the water?

I did not bother with the life jacket at all. Nothing on board and just my trunks on, and it was difficult. I got up and down 3 times or so to see if there is a trick to it. It is much easier to grab hold of the tube and kick to shore. I am sure the life jacket would add to the difficulty of climbing back on.

I can say I always wear the life jacket when I am fishing.

6Safety Safety Safety Empty Re: Safety Safety Safety Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Jerdon wrote:
SP Dan wrote:Did you have your life jacket on or did you attempt to put it on after you were in the water?

I did not bother with the life jacket at all. Nothing on board and just my trunks on, and it was difficult. I got up and down 3 times or so to see if there is a trick to it. It is much easier to grab  hold of the tube and kick to shore. I am sure the life jacket would add to the difficulty of climbing back on.

I can say I always wear the life jacket when I am fishing.

That was some great hands-on information and advice that you shared with all of us Jerdon.
I don’t believe too many of us; including myself, have ever tried to climb out of the water and back onto their float tube.
It sounds like a very difficult task indeed unless a person is of great upper body strength.
You just reinforced my reasons; for my need for personal protection by remembering, to always wear my PFD!

Thank you Jerdon Thumbs Up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum