Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » My Braided Line Epic Failure

My Braided Line Epic Failure

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty My Braided Line Epic Failure on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:14 pm

OldMan

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Thought I'd get some to try on my ultralight gear. OOPS!!!

I was an utter failure at tying the two kinds of line (braid and fluorocarbon) together, so I stripped the braid and just re-filled with 4# fluorocarbon on all our reels I'd put it on.

Maybe I was trying with too small a line for me to tie it well, but it failed so I went back to what I know.

Last edited by OldMan on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

2My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
I use the Royal Polaris knot, also called the Alberto Knot for braid to mono or fluoro.
Here is a link:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Every other knot I have tried becomes too convoluted or time consuming. I have problems with flouro on tiny ultralight reels so I just run mono in 2 pound test.

I hope this helps

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan
I used to use the double Uni knot but that got to be a bit too much especially when the wind would pick up.

As my reports read, I now use the Royal Polaris knot and it
has never failed me.  I’ve been known to put my lines to their maximum test with a few of the large fish I’ve landed.
My Royal Polaris knots have been field proven by me to be a dependable strong knot and it’s really easy to tie braid to whatever line.

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
If you take the time to look at all the spools at the fishing store, you can see a wax like film on most of the braids, making it smooth to the touch . Some manufactures don't use a film. I two would use the Alberto knot, strip the end of the braid with Goof Off, making it abrasive, so it bites into the fluorocarbon or mono leader. That's all good when tying knots in your garage. I too have lost some nice trout because of knot failure, like Jerdon I went back to Izorline XXX co-polymer, 2#...........GT

5My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm

OldMan

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:If you take the time to look at all the spools at the fishing store, you can see a wax like film on most of the braids, making it smooth to the touch . Some manufactures don't use a film. I two would use the Alberto knot, strip the end of the braid with Goof Off, making it abrasive, so it bites into the fluorocarbon or mono leader. That's all good when tying knots in your garage. I too have lost some nice trout because of knot failure, like Jerdon I went back to Izorline XXX co-polymer, 2#...........GT
Yeah, I went to Daiwa fluorocarbon. Sometimes I make things more complicated than I need to, just because my mind is creating different ideas all the time, but most of the ideas are...not so good. This was an example for me.

6My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:02 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan
This past weekend I removed the braid from five of my reels and replaced it with new 30-lb Daiwa Samurai 8-carrier braided line.

I partially spoiled the first half of each spool with spectra first and then I finished capping off each reel with approximately 80-85 yards or 240-255 feet of braid so’s not to waste it on the spool.

I should be good for another 3-5 years! YAHOO!

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

7My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:37 am

MarkG

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Am I wrong to be using a very small swivel to connect the FC leader?

8My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:47 am

SP Dan

SP Dan
There is no wrong as long as you catch fish.

I preferred to keep it simple. With a swivel you are now dealing with a mechanical device and two knots.

I personally prefer to keep it down to just one knot, which will decrease my chances of something failing me during a good fish fight or that once in a lifetime fish strike.

I try to always be fully prepared for that moment when opportunity presents itself! 

SP Dan      <“))><

9My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:13 am

SP Dan

SP Dan
After all; I truly feel in my heart, I have a 30 pound halibut with my name on it out there! Cool

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum