FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Today at 7:08 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BigMaxFloats Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Braided Line Epic Failure

+3
SP Dan
Jerdon
OldMan
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty My Braided Line Epic Failure Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:14 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thought I'd get some to try on my ultralight gear. OOPS!!!

I was an utter failure at tying the two kinds of line (braid and fluorocarbon) together, so I stripped the braid and just re-filled with 4# fluorocarbon on all our reels I'd put it on.

Maybe I was trying with too small a line for me to tie it well, but it failed so I went back to what I know.

Last edited by OldMan on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

2My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I use the Royal Polaris knot, also called the Alberto Knot for braid to mono or fluoro.
Here is a link:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Every other knot I have tried becomes too convoluted or time consuming. I have problems with flouro on tiny ultralight reels so I just run mono in 2 pound test.

I hope this helps

3My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I used to use the double Uni knot but that got to be a bit too much especially when the wind would pick up.

As my reports read, I now use the Royal Polaris knot and it
has never failed me.  I’ve been known to put my lines to their maximum test with a few of the large fish I’ve landed.
My Royal Polaris knots have been field proven by me to be a dependable strong knot and it’s really easy to tie braid to whatever line.

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

If you take the time to look at all the spools at the fishing store, you can see a wax like film on most of the braids, making it smooth to the touch . Some manufactures don't use a film. I two would use the Alberto knot, strip the end of the braid with Goof Off, making it abrasive, so it bites into the fluorocarbon or mono leader. That's all good when tying knots in your garage. I too have lost some nice trout because of knot failure, like Jerdon I went back to Izorline XXX co-polymer, 2#...........GT

5My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

GT wrote:If you take the time to look at all the spools at the fishing store, you can see a wax like film on most of the braids, making it smooth to the touch . Some manufactures don't use a film. I two would use the Alberto knot, strip the end of the braid with Goof Off, making it abrasive, so it bites into the fluorocarbon or mono leader. That's all good when tying knots in your garage. I too have lost some nice trout because of knot failure, like Jerdon I went back to Izorline XXX co-polymer, 2#...........GT
Yeah, I went to Daiwa fluorocarbon. Sometimes I make things more complicated than I need to, just because my mind is creating different ideas all the time, but most of the ideas are...not so good. This was an example for me.

6My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:02 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

This past weekend I removed the braid from five of my reels and replaced it with new 30-lb Daiwa Samurai 8-carrier braided line.

I partially spoiled the first half of each spool with spectra first and then I finished capping off each reel with approximately 80-85 yards or 240-255 feet of braid so’s not to waste it on the spool.

I should be good for another 3-5 years! YAHOO!

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

7My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:37 am

MarkG

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Am I wrong to be using a very small swivel to connect the FC leader?

8My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:47 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

There is no wrong as long as you catch fish.

I preferred to keep it simple. With a swivel you are now dealing with a mechanical device and two knots.

I personally prefer to keep it down to just one knot, which will decrease my chances of something failing me during a good fish fight or that once in a lifetime fish strike.

I try to always be fully prepared for that moment when opportunity presents itself! 

SP Dan      <“))><

9My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:13 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

After all; I truly feel in my heart, I have a 30 pound halibut with my name on it out there! Cool

10My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:50 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

For me, it's a 17-20 pound King, a five-pound Brown, Rainbow, Cutt, Brook, 2-pound Koke, five-pound Tiger, Bowcutt, etc. All species of trout are my chosen fishing targets.

I wish I knew more about fishing for landlocked Kings, Coho, etc. I want to do some Salmon fishing but I sure as sh*t cannot afford a guide.

Suggestions? I'm even buying some light salmon gear. I've been watching YT vids about curing roe, and looking into that. In terms of fishing, as long as it's legal and doesn't exceed 20 pounds, my salmon fishing is meat hunting. I don't have a boat (only a Cumberland) so it's not really suitable for any salmon except Kokes and I don't even want to think about a downrigger. I'd rather do something else.

11My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:07 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

GT: Next SS check, I'm ordering some izorline like you mentioned. See how I like it. 4# and 12#

12My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:24 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Oldman

The izorline XXX Super Co-polymer line is an excellent line.
I've been using it for years for it's abrasion resistant qualities.
It's a premium monofilament that's extra limp, extra strong and extra tough.
It's also an excellent choice to use on spinning and conventional reels.

I look forward to your follow up post on your experiences after having used the izorline XXX.

SP Dan      <"))><

13My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:32 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

And you shall have such a report!

14My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:14 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I don't think the XXX will disappoint you. I did Coho this past June, flasher, a metallic skirt, single hook, my buddy Thomas loves the Gamagotsu hook and a small piece of shrimp soaked in a red brine........its a winner.......tight lines Old Man.......GT

15My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:56 pm

Floatingbassturd

Floatingbassturd
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dan, just saw your comment about partially spooling and topping off with another type of line. U used to do the same then I started just stripping my line onto another reel when it got worn bringing the bottom half to the top and putting use to all that unused line. This also makes it much easier to strip my reel and keep tension as I reel it on the other reel. Then I use baitcaster so may not work for those with spinning reels.

16My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I considered flipping it onto another reel Dave but the thing is that when I tie on a new leader, I always remove approx foot of the braided line as well each time.  
So, after a couple years of cutting off a foot each time, my braid is getting to be a little too short for what I prefer to have on a spool.

When I purchased the spool of braid I purchased 1,500 yards, so I have plenty to last for a very long time.

17My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:35 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

OldMan wrote:Thought I'd get some to try on my ultralight gear. OOPS!!!

I was an utter failure at tying the two kinds of line (braid and fluorocarbon) together, so I stripped the braid and just re-filled with 4# fluorocarbon on all our reels I'd put it on.

Maybe I was trying with too small a line for me to tie it well, but it failed so I went back to what I know.

Are you having the knot slip? Typically when running lighter lines, you'll need to do more loops in the knots in order to have enough surface area for an effective connection. IE: With an albright knot using 4lb, I'd need about 15 loops vs only 7 for 12lb test. It's also a good idea to have a good adhesive to drip onto the knot to minimize slippage.

However, there are applications where running non spectra is ideal and in my opinion, salmonoid fishing is one of them.

Also, what type of salmon fishing are you interested in and where are you located? There are opportunities for salmon from shore all around the american river/nimbus dam area (i believe it's still ok to fish the dam, although it has been a while) and further down the river around benecia as well.

18My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

GT wrote:I don't think the XXX will disappoint you. I did Coho this past June, flasher, a metallic skirt, single hook, my buddy Thomas loves the Gamagotsu hook and a small piece of shrimp soaked in a red brine........its a winner.......tight lines Old Man.......GT
I actually went with Platinum but it's still Izorline co-polymer. I like the green.

On an unrelated topic, next year, we ought to meet up in the Sierra, do some trout fishing from the tubes. Small lakes like Lundy, Gull and Silver in the June Lake Loop. Convict down near Crowley. If we're there midweek, we ought to be able to avoid most of the crowds, esp at the more remote (but accessible by car, I have bad feet) lakes. Whaddya think?

19My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:49 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

kin wrote:

Are you having the knot slip?
Yup. Honestly, for me it was just too much hassle. I gave up. If anyone wants a partly used spool of 15-pound braid, contact me via PM. All it'll cost you is shipping.

kin wrote:Also, what type of salmon fishing are you interested in and where are you located? There are opportunities for salmon from shore all around the american river/nimbus dam area (i believe it's still ok to fish the dam, although it has been a while) and further down the river around benecia as well.
I'm interested in summer and fall Kings in the Sac or Feather River. My sister and I are talking about we two couples hiring a guide in August or September next year and hitting the good spots. If J and I can come home with 20-30 pounds of salmon fillets, we, our cats and the smoker will all be happy. I use alder for smoke wood on fish. Cherry and apple are too strong a flavor for salmon or trout. If we catch that much, it'll be money well-spent.

Trout and river salmon fishing are the types of fishing in which I have the greatest interest. Not a bass guy, I get seasick on charter boats in the ocean. So a charter on the Feather or Sac is my idea of fishing for big fish. Are they marlin? No. Are they big enough to get me aroused (wink)? You bet!!!

I'll actually have to buy gear for the trip, no WAY I'm using a guide's rigs, not this guy, in this lifetime. J and I will use spinning reels (Daiwa 2600c) and I have to buy one rod, a seven-footer for J. I already have one seven-foot rod which is long enough for me. I'll have to spring for the two vintage Daiwa reels (Yay Ebay!!!). Have to buy both reels and put 30-lb Izorline platinum line on them (Hi GT). I can use the guide's lures (wrapped with sardines, or something) but the rod and reel will be our own.

Last edited by OldMan on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Because I'm a dumbass...again)

20My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

OldMan wrote:
kin wrote:

Are you having the knot slip?
Yup. Honestly, for me it was just too much hassle. I gave up. If anyone wants a partly used spool of 15-pound braid, contact me via PM. All it'll cost you is shipping.

kin wrote:Also, what type of salmon fishing are you interested in and where are you located? There are opportunities for salmon from shore all around the american river/nimbus dam area (i believe it's still ok to fish the dam, although it has been a while) and further down the river around benecia as well.
I'm interested in summer and fall Kings in the Sac or Feather River. My sister and I are talking about we two couples hiring a guide in August or September next year and hitting the good spots. If J and I can come home with 20-30 pounds of salmon fillets, we, our cats and the smoker will all be happy. I use alder for smoke wood on fish. Cherry and apple are too strong a flavor for salmon or trout. If we catch that much, it'll be money well-spent.

Trout and river salmon fishing are the types of fishing in which I have the greatest interest. Not a bass guy, I get seasick on charter boats in the ocean. So a charter on the Feather or Sac is my idea of fishing for big fish. Are they marlin? No. Are they big enough to get me aroused (wink)? You bet!!!

I'll actually have to buy gear for the trip, no WAY I'm using a guide's rigs, not this guy, in this lifetime. J and I will use spinning reels (Daiwa 2600c) and I have to buy one rod, a seven-footer for J. I already have one seven-foot rod which is long enough for me. I'll have to spring for the two vintage Daiwa reels (Yay Ebay!!!). Have to buy both reels and put 30-lb Izorline platinum line on them (Hi GT). I can use the guide's lures (wrapped with sardines, or something) but the rod and reel will be our own.

Those daiwa's are tanks. I have a 700 and 1600 size. If you don't mind staying close to shore, check out the nimbus dam area...but it's less sporting since you end up snagging most of the fish while fishing beads. What rods do you have in mind? Personally, I love my kenai special and my daiwa heartland back bounce. I use a longer rod for the larger salmon and the shorter stuff for the trout. Let us know how you do! I miss salmon fishing and I heard this year turned out great for the ocean fish.

21My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

kin wrote:

Those daiwa's are tanks. I have a 700 and 1600 size. If you don't mind staying close to shore, check out the nimbus dam area...but it's less sporting since you end up snagging most of the fish while fishing beads. What rods do you have in mind? Personally, I love my kenai special and my daiwa heartland back bounce. I use a longer rod for the larger salmon and the shorter stuff for the trout. Let us know how you do! I miss salmon fishing and I heard this year turned out great for the ocean fish.
A heartland rod is WAY out of my price range. Even used.

I have a 700 and a 1300c. I have bids in on two 2600c models, on Ebay. Both look very newish in the photos. For J. I'll buy her a new Daiwa rod. Haven't decided on a model, yet. I need to get her a 1300c for her 6' rod. I have one I've had for 40 years. Still in great shape. My 7' rod is an old Daiwa fiberglass model from 40 years ago. I see 10-foot rods for Salmon but those HAVE to be for the ocean. Not room enough for six (including the guide) 10-foot rods on most of the boats I see river guides using (on youtube). Seven feet is fine for us.

J's ultralight reels are 1000 size. A Sweepfire and a Spinmatic D. I have the aforementioned 700c and a Spinmatic D 500, even smaller. Her Sweepfire has 4-lb flourocarbon. My reels will have Izorline platinum green, four-pound. Her Spinmatic D will get the same. Eventually the Sweepfire will have it, as well. I have to get the 700C repaired (needs the drag rebuilt, a guy in Benicia (Todd) said he'd fabricate some drag washers for my 700c. Pretty awesome someone is willing to refresh a 36-year-old reel.

22My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:00 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Old Man I am going to assume the 2 reels mentioned are spinning........I will also assume that you will be trolling for your salmon on the river. If so I find bait casters to be my preference for trolling. All around easier to use when trolling.

Next year tubing the Sierras works for me....we will stay in touch and make it happen, tight lines......GT

23My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

GT wrote:Old Man I am going to assume the 2 reels mentioned are spinning........I will also assume that you will be trolling for your salmon on the river. If so I find bait casters to be my preference for trolling. All around easier to use when trolling.

Next year tubing the Sierras works for me....we will stay in touch and make it happen, tight lines......GT
I've trolled with ultralight spinning gear. I've never used anything but, and I do not want to have to get used to gear on the fly. I've never used a bait caster because I didn't have interest in them. Still do not. I'll suck it up and use my spinning gear.

24My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:44 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I hope you land a large salmon, tight lines........GT

25My Braided Line Epic Failure Empty Re: My Braided Line Epic Failure Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:58 am

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

GT wrote:I hope you land a large salmon, tight lines........GT
Thanks, brother GT. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum