Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Flyfishing Corner » whose out there?

whose out there?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1whose out there? Empty whose out there? on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:25 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Ok I have been perusing and posting a bit now and this corner seems to be one of the quietest. So I am going to try and make some noise here!

First of all I am going to say that i am an enthusiastic fly fisherman. My casting skills aren't great but I can get the fly in the water. I tie as well, and again not great but well enough that I fool a few fish now and then. I have dabbled with fly fishing for years but in 1994 I got the bug really bad while working in Wyoming. I have since been backtracking through my career to try and catch everything that I have caught with conventional tackle, now with the fly. After "banking it" for a few years the natural progression was to the tube!, and then of course to the pontoon!! So,....Who are the fly fisherman, or potential fly fisherman among you ?? Let's get together here and talk!

bodfish

2whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I have been forced to fly fish a few times, once in Alaska and once at Laguna Niguel Lake. I am totally horrible at it and look like I am just flogging the water but I did some how manage to catch a few fish. The guide in Alaska said he has seen worse and I wasn't too bad after 4 hours into it which made me feel better... and a boat with 4 people on it and I didn't hook anyone.
I have alot of respect for it, it's not easy and takes finess and practice! I'd like to give it a try again if I can pick up a reasonable priced set up at a tackle sale or yard sale. Like to give the flying the harbor a try.

3whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:34 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
never tired it just learn with the bait caster sorry

4whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:51 am

Dano67

Dano67
I have fly fished for more years than I care to admit and I tie. I just started baitcasting when I met jeff and joined the site. I am also new to fly fishing in saltwater. Are you coming to MDR on Saturday? I was tying up some super thin clousers last night to try out there.

5whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Dano reminds me of Indiana Jones out there with his fly set up flingin the CLOUSAH MeeNNOH (said with Austrian accent) lol!

6whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:12 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Aha! I am so glad I am not the only fly fool out there! Hey Dano, thanks for the query about MDR (Marina Del Rey right?) I wasn't sure how open your outings were. Unfortunately I am still waiting for my pontoons to be finished so I am temporarily shorebound. good luck tomorrow!

bodfish

PS
what's the idea with the thin clousers?

7whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:28 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I am all so a novice fly fishermen as well as a novice fly tier, real I just enjoy to fish but I have been non to show up with a fly rod from time to time.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Dano67

Dano67
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Aha! I am so glad I am not the only fly fool out there! Hey Dano, thanks for the query about MDR (Marina Del Rey right?) I wasn't sure how open your outings were. Unfortunately I am still waiting for my pontoons to be finished so I am temporarily shorebound. good luck tomorrow!

bodfish

PS
what's the idea with the thin clousers?
Bob clouser ties them for himself with the total amount of material the size of a wooden match stick. He ties them commercial with more material because people don't think they look right so thin.

9whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Dano67

Dano67
Also if we are talking about it on the forum your always invited to come fishing

10whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:41 pm

CanadianTubeFisher

CanadianTubeFisher
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I love fly fishing I have only used my spinning gear a few times this year. I also tie
my own from foam poppers to foam bugs. I have a 8 weight 9'ft rod two piece, great for chucking larger flies. Love using deer hair for bass bugs and little beetles for panfish.The water is so cold here now that the water is about 2ft lower.

11whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:55 pm

StCroixFan

StCroixFan
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Glad to see there are some fly fisherman in here. Doesn't look like it's over flowing with feather chuckers. But there are a few of us.

http://fishwithkev.blogspot.com

12whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 pm

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
very new to FF, have been getting my gear together over the last 4 months. Been down the local park practicing with my rod and stocking up on a few fly's.
All I have to do now is catch my first fish.
Decided to try FF after years of bait and spin fishing, I suppose I got bored with the old ways, I have had an old antique fly reel sitting around that my dad gave me which he bought in the 50's.

13whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
O man I love to fly!!! I have been hittin a local moutian pond latley an landin a bunch of trout bass an gill on the fly. The last outting I got like 15 bass 5 trout n 1 gill all on black elk hair caddis an lil black n gold poppers. My buddys pretty darn good when it comes to the art but im hangin in there with em. Im down to fly perris or any other tube able pond r lake. Its so much fun to catch anythin on the fly but im gunnas focus on bass here soon with some shad streamers n white woolies.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

14whose out there? Empty re: who's out there on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:31 pm

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Your bringin back memories of mountain lakes. Elk hair caddis and
wooly buggers were always my faves....nothing like a nice catch
on a fly rod...Man,I wanted to pick up some poppers for gills the
other day in Wal-Mart and they wanted about $11.00 for a half dozen
of them!!! SHESH have things changed. I'm gonna be tying my own this
winter for sure!! These Midwest gills will chew up a half dozen
cheapo pops in an hour when they're hittin!

15whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin
Dropped all the bass gear and got back on the fly a couple of months ago.

My only problem is I don't know how to tie. Embarassed

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

16whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 am

StCroixFan

StCroixFan
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Dropped all the bass gear and got back on the fly a couple of months ago.

You can still fly fish for bass with flies. I do it all the time. I fish for catfish and carp too. I won't lie. It is more difficult to catch them with flies. But all the more rewarding when you do. For bass I use something called Stealth Bomber, it's esy to tie and works great. I also use zonker strips and clousers. I've caught striped bass too with sinking line and clousers. You can pretty much catch anyting with flies you just have to talk to the right people. I'm currently trying to hook my first bowfin and gar this year.

17whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:13 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Dropped all the bass gear and got back on the fly a couple of months ago.

You can still fly fish for bass with flies. I do it all the time. I fish for catfish and carp too. I won't lie. It is more difficult to catch them with flies. But all the more rewarding when you do. For bass I use something called Stealth Bomber, it's esy to tie and works great. I also use zonker strips and clousers. I've caught striped bass too with sinking line and clousers. You can pretty much catch anyting with flies you just have to talk to the right people. I'm currently trying to hook my first bowfin and gar this year.

Im gunna have to try carp n catfish on the fly! I was gunna try fer beddin bass too but gotta wait till next spawn. For me I started out tiein woolies an there so easy to do. Then it gets cake from there. When I lived in NE I flyed fer gar on the missouri river an hooked into a nice 4' plus on a lil streamer that looked like a gold fish. They fight like crazy I cant wait to see your pics Thumbs Up

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

18whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 am

StCroixFan

StCroixFan
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
My best flies for Catfish have been beadheaded black wooly buggers or no bead at all and tie them with some weighted wire. I also have a fly called navel lint that's been pretty effective. It's really just a bunch of dubbing bead chain eyes and rubber legs. I have a few rope flies for the gar. Apparently their teeth get caught in the rope and you can pull them in. No hooking involved you just brush the hair out of their teeth with a wire brush. The bowfin I'm still figuring out. I fly fish for everything and where I live is similar to Southern California. I can be at the coast or the mtns with in a 3hr drive. I'm still working on my first red drum and albicore on the fly. There are some pretty good trout streams in Western NC. The South Holston tailrace in TN is amazing. Hatches like you wouldn't believe.

I grew up in San Diego and mainly spin fished when I lived there. I lived in Poway, Alpine, Mira Mesa and Vista. I wish I fly fished when I lived there. Every summer my family would take a camping trip to the Bishop area. I'd fish the streams and lakes all around there. Sometimes I'd tie a fly on my spinning rod and still catch fish with that even though I had no idea what I was doing. I would just pull a bunch of slack line and let the fly drift down stream. If I saw a splash I yanked and tried to set the hook. It worked sometimes but most of my fish were caught dragging the flies or skipping them across the top of the water. Small browns love that. I think it makes it look like an insect laying eggs. When I moved to NC all of the streams were like the ones in the sierra's and a friend taught me to fly fish. I rarely pick up the spinning rod now.

I've seen some nice youtube videos of guys fly fishing at Jennings out of float tubes. They catch some pretty big trout. I think people are some what successful at Mira Mar too. It looks like they use clousers.

Check out my blog when you get the chance fishwithkev.blogspot.com

19whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:25 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I am one of those potential Fly Guys, I have being trying to fly fish for the past 10 years. My wife is the one that got me into it, she also got me my first fly tieing kit. Now I have feathers everywhere in the house and I cannot say that they are the kick but types of flies. But they do fool some fish from time to time. I figure when I retire (years from now) I will have more time to devote to this. For now I will be content with just being the novice. Wink

20whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:03 pm

StCroixFan

StCroixFan
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I am one of those potential Fly Guys, I have being trying to fly fish for the past 10 years. My wife is the one that got me into it, she also got me my first fly tieing kit. Now I have feathers everywhere in the house and I cannot say that they are the kick but types of flies. But they do fool some fish from time to time. I figure when I retire (years from now) I will have more time to devote to this. For now I will be content with just being the novice. Wink

Fly fishing is like any type of fishing you're learning all the time. I've been doing it for the past 5yrs and I'm still learning new things. If there is a Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area you can usually find folks that are happy to take you under their wing and show you things. Just like anyone people are tickled that anyone would be interested in hearing what they have to say. Many of the old timers love sharing their knowledge with new younger fly fisherman.

Jeff, that is really awesome that you are tying. I tie from time to time but I can't say I really enjoy it. I mostly tie flies that are easy and I know work. Buggers, hairs ear, clousers, pheasant tails, caddis if I feel motivated. I do it to save money also. Clousers cost about $3 or more at shops. You can buy two died buck tails, hooks, dumbbell eyes and flashabou for around $25. Even less if you know some hunters. Just two bucktails would allow you tie 100 clousers. It's always special to catch a fish on a fly you tied. I can only imagine what it would be like to catch a fish on a rod you built. That takes too much patience for me. If you ever have any questions or want info on patterns or tactics for specific fish species please feel free to contact me. I'm no guide but I've spent a lot of time researching fly fishing for different species.

21whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:54 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I am one of those potential Fly Guys, I have being trying to fly fish for the past 10 years. My wife is the one that got me into it, she also got me my first fly tieing kit. Now I have feathers everywhere in the house and I cannot say that they are the kick but types of flies. But they do fool some fish from time to time. I figure when I retire (years from now) I will have more time to devote to this. For now I will be content with just being the novice. Wink

Fly fishing is like any type of fishing you're learning all the time. I've been doing it for the past 5yrs and I'm still learning new things. If there is a Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area you can usually find folks that are happy to take you under their wing and show you things. Just like anyone people are tickled that anyone would be interested in hearing what they have to say. Many of the old timers love sharing their knowledge with new younger fly fisherman.

Jeff, that is really awesome that you are tying. I tie from time to time but I can't say I really enjoy it. I mostly tie flies that are easy and I know work. Buggers, hairs ear, clousers, pheasant tails, caddis if I feel motivated. I do it to save money also. Clousers cost about $3 or more at shops. You can buy two died buck tails, hooks, dumbbell eyes and flashabou for around $25. Even less if you know some hunters. Just two bucktails would allow you tie 100 clousers. It's always special to catch a fish on a fly you tied. I can only imagine what it would be like to catch a fish on a rod you built. That takes too much patience for me. If you ever have any questions or want info on patterns or tactics for specific fish species please feel free to contact me. I'm no guide but I've spent a lot of time researching fly fishing for different species.

Thanks very much StCroixFan that is very cool, I am sure you will hear from me one day inregards to tying. Maybe if this section grows some we could start a fly exchange like other boards. I ddi one once and I though it was a lot of fun and a great way to learn how to new patterns. Keep on tying a learning buddy, that is how it happens. Thumbs Up

22whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I`ve never try it or know personally any body that fly fish. but I relly would like to try it some time.

23whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Bass is all I've be targeting since I've got back on the fly. Been hooking them easier on the fly then plastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

24whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Leakytube

Leakytube
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I REALLY WANT TO LEARN THAT WOULD BE COOL Thumbs Up
IS IT HARD TO REEL THE FISH IN WHAT ABOUT THE FEEL WHEN YOU CATCH THE FISH IT

http://www.wmcinc.com

25whose out there? Empty Re: whose out there? on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:31 am

StCroixFan

StCroixFan
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I REALLY WANT TO LEARN THAT WOULD BE COOL Thumbs Up
IS IT HARD TO REEL THE FISH IN WHAT ABOUT THE FEEL WHEN YOU CATCH THE FISH IT

This is a common question. You can strip line in faster than you can reel it. Unless you catch a monster fish you hardly ever fight a fish from the reel. Most of the time you are stripping them in and playing them at the same time. If you catch carp a good size catfish or big bass over 4-5lbs they can take you to the reel quickly. A carp can spool you, meaning taking out all your line to your backing. Backing is what holds your fly line to the reel it looks similar to kite string. It's there to give you something extra in case you get spooled. Cathing carp on the fly is addicting. Common carp fight hard and keep running. Carp in rivers especially.

If you want to learn joining a Club is your cheapest option. Trout Unlimited chapters are the most popular but you can find others in your area if you google it. In San Diego there are two fly shops that have classes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum