Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Flyfishing Corner » whose out there?

whose out there?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26whose out there? - Page 2 Empty re:Whose out there?? on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 am

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Wow, great to know there are so many Fly Rod enthusiasts on this forum!! I'm going to be hittin it hard this summer/fall after about a
15 year hiatis. Now that I am back in the mid-west and seeing we had such a mild winter/spring I'm thinkin' the pheasant season will be
good this year. The reason I mention this is I will have access to
a boat load of hackels and other feathers once I start "harvesting".
I was in a Bass Pro a few months ago and almost fell down when I saw
what they get for these on the shelf!! I'll be able to send some out
to you guys FREE "if God doesn't take me first" so keep that in mind. I
always thought winter was the time to tie anyway because I don't get
much out of standing on the ice over a hole these days. My health
just doesn't allow me to get cold for too long. Isn't gettin' old
the PITS!! LOL Oh well..just sayin

27whose out there? - Page 2 Empty re: who's out there?? on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:34 am

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Just to reiterate...I did say FREE because one can get in a lot of
hot water with the DNR if you try to sell or profit from wild game.
That is a definate NO-NO!!! But free among friends...it's all good!
Check this site out. Almost every feather on a ringneck is good for
something or another! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by blues4bill on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link wasn't showing blue-needed space)

28whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:16 am

Free2Fish

Free2Fish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I'm an old time fly fisher and fly tier that just got back into the sport after a 20 hiatus. I used to fish mainly trout and small-mouth but have recently moved into warm water fish. The main reason is I'm retired and it just doesn't make sense to drive 2 or 3 hours to fish every day. Smile I've got a so-so rule to try to fish within a 1/2 hour of home and that has gotten me into some great fishing this year.

Harry

http://ichthyolatry.blogspot.ca/

29whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:59 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Free2Fish!
you are a lucky guy considering where you hail from. Fly fishing here in SoCal is a little tougher and a bit unconventional, but we still have a good time. Fact is we have some great fly fishing here if you are willing to put in a bit of effort and accept a few compromises to the conventional fly approaches. I have always wanted to visit Manitoba in the fall for those Monster Muskies and Pike, bucket list! maybe one day.

bodfish

30whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:08 am

Free2Fish

Free2Fish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Hi Bodfish,

Not many Muskies in Manitoba but they are close by; just east of us in Ontario. Lake of the Woods is just over 100 miles away and is great for muskies and Lake trout.

We have a couple of trophy fisheries...channel cats in the Red River and trout in the Parklands. And you're right on the pike, we've got a lot of those. Smile

I live on the Assiniboine River and had a monster carp on the other day. he took me into the backing in seconds, I had no control at all. I chased him down the bank but he eventually wrapped around a tree. It was funny, he could take line but when I pulled back I was hooked solid. I eventually just broke the line. Fun day with a fly rod!

Harry

http://ichthyolatry.blogspot.ca/

31whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Outthere flyfisfer on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:16 pm

tronarat

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
I guess you could call me a flyfisher. My wife talked me into it a bunch of years ago. Living in Wy. you'd think if would be easy. I'm a puddle fisher, and a dredger.Can't remember where I put the spool with my floating line. You are more likely to be able to keep up with an incoming fish by stripping than by reeling. That being said, if it comes at you like a torpedo and you are fishing barbless, it all depends on who gets lucky. The fun part comes when it goes under you and you have to hope the tangles in your stripping basket will feed through the guides when it runs behind you.
I use a 4# 9' rod with a mix of 4&5# sinking lines (it's hard to find a fast sink 4#). If I feel real frisky I've got an 8' 2# that has taken more than it share of 18" browns and rainbows. That's when tubing becomes more like jug fishing.

32whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:40 am

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
I got a fly rod and tried it some years ago. After several hours of trying to fly fish I felt I looked more like Elmer Fud in a windstorm! I am just glad that there was no one around to see me.

33whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Fly fishing is an art which takes some very well practiced skills. I feel anyone can do it if they put it to great practice and have a passion to learn and improve. I myself would say I am a novice I have fly fished quite a bit with very limited success, but I will say this working hard pays off and when you land you first fish wow the rush is cool. Even through it was a bluegill I was still stocked.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

34whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Mon May 04, 2015 7:21 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Late to the party but here goes. I was raised on a cane pole from the time I was 5. I was a cane pole man up till I was in my 40's (bluegill mostly). I was always a city slicker type. When I met my father in law (redneck royalty) he was fly fishing for bluegill and we would have contests. He whooped me every time. After about 10 years of this abuse, I became converted. I got a 5 wt about 6 years ago and started learning. I still do a double clutch cast sometimes, but I get the line out there. My father in law and I chase the bluegill spawn. When Iowa limited to 25/day panfish was the first time I ever saw him cry. He used to fill 5 gallon buckets before the law changed. We tie our own, and he has a special pattern he came up with that slays bluegill.

St Croix fan has posted excellent advice in this thread. Join a local club. I haven't tied a fly in 2 years, joined a local club a couple months ago (meets monthly) and have tied about 40 or so since joining. I thought I forgot how, but picked it back up quickly. When I start, I try to tie 5-7 at a sitting before I take a break. Fly fisherman are a pretty good bunch in my experience. If you see somebody fly fishing, talk to them, perhaps they will teach you something. Watch them cast. It's all about loading up the pole correctly. My cast is not perfect, and I work on it, but once I cast 3 or 4 times, it comes back. I try and fly fish every chance I get. Fishing for catfish is the other thing I like to do. Fly fish during the day, catfish at night.

Not everything is expensive. I got a couple hundred dollars worth of tying materials at a garage sale for 10 bucks. Picked up a st croix pacemaker rod with an automatic reel for 8 bucks at a garage sale. Hope this helps.

35whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:50 am

Emmet

Emmet
New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
I live in western North Carolina, and fly fish exclusively, mostly for trout in mountain creeks. I live on Lake Chatuge, and recently bought a Togiak float tube. On it's maiden voyage, I caught an 18" smallmouth on a 9' 8 wt Loomis with a blue-&-white Clouser minnow. I'm thinking of rigging it with a 9 wt shooting head and a switch rod butt extension to extend my range.

36whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:22 am

atavuss

atavuss
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I have fly fished off and on for years, never got really good at it but I can get a fly on the water. Most of the time I use a 2wt. fly rod and reel which makes it really interesting and fun as long as the Trout are around 14" or smaller.

37whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:51 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
It looks like there are some more fly guys here now.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

38whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Emmet

Emmet
New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Most of the time I use a 2wt. fly rod...

Me too; a TFO 8 1/2' 2 wt is my favorite for trout streams; for the lake I have the aforementioned 8 wt and a TFO 8 1/2' 5 wt, which I just spooled with an old sinking line. Perhaps I'll try it out in the morning.

39whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:03 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I also prefer to fly fish exclusively, and tying files gives me more satisfaction. I tied a new fly that looks like a bee, and caught some nice fish including a 2 1/2 lb bass (posted pic in Western Iowa fishing report) on this new fly (3 weight).

To those having difficulty, I would recommend checking out your local library. I am reading "Master the Cast, Fly casting in seven lessons" by George V. Roberts Jr. This book is very informative, and goes over basics such as grip, stance, the mechanics behind the cast, in addition to the lessons (have not finished the book yet). I have checked out 2 other books on fly casting as well.

My in-laws have given me some good advice, I was casting the forward stroke too quick. Counting to 2 before beginning to go forward helped me. Also stopping the cast abruptly at 10 o'clock helped me get my cast to the next level. After I practiced on my last outing, I was able to increase my distance by about 25% as well as my accuracy. I was able to get my cast right up to the edge of the areas I was targeting (weeds).

It is frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very addictive. I recently bought a 3 weight rig and really like it. The rig I like the most is kind of strange. I bought a custom 2 piece (of 3) at a flea market for 2 bucks. I had a 2 piece rod (lakeside), took the top piece off and attached to the custom 2 piece. Matched up really nice and is about 11 ft long. I picked up a used Eagle Claw (brave?) reel, took it apart and cleaned it up. I can really get the line out far when this pole loads up. I have less than 50 bucks in this set up and I couldn't be happier. Caught some nice fish on it first outing including a 9" crappie and a 13 1/2" bass.

40whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:32 am

atavuss

atavuss
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
2 wt. action:

41whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:01 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I live in western North Carolina, and fly fish exclusively, mostly for trout in mountain creeks. I live on Lake Chatuge, and recently bought a Togiak float tube. On it's maiden voyage, I caught an 18" smallmouth on a 9' 8 wt Loomis with a blue-&-white Clouser minnow. I'm thinking of rigging it with a 9 wt shooting head and a switch rod butt extension to extend my range.  

An 18" smallie must pull like a freight train! salute

Half fast had some good recommendations.  If I can add another book, Casting with Lefty Kreh is a great resource. A friend brought it along on a trip.  It's loaded with tons of info. I have seen Lefty Kreh cast in person and it's pretty inspiring if you're into fly fishing.  He can put out a fair cast with only with his hands (no rod).  He wrapped a cast around/in-front of two guys walking out on his seminar as a demonstration. I had a great view because it was right in front of me. To see the line curve around them was awesome: to see their expression was even priceless!

I'm not a great caster but I was taught pretty well.  If you're having trouble getting line out there, I was told to remember a few things, 1.) cast with the big muscles, 2. let the rod work for you and 3. don't drop the rod tip.
First, you don't cast with the little muscles, you cast with the big muscles.  A lot of people flick their wrist back and forth like cracking whip. It works for super short distances but, you need to utilize your shoulder, elbow and forearm with a quiet wrist to move a lot of line (also weight transfer like swinging a bat.) I was taught the wrist movement is similar, if not the same, to the motion of a firm handshake.  
Second, half fast's "2 count" is a must to load a rod. The rod will do a lot of the work for you if you let it. His pausing allows the weight of the fly line to build up energy in the rod to propel it forward. You'll feel the line pull and bend the rod backwards. It's like pulling on a rubber band. And it's the same as conventional casting where not only the speed of the rod but the load (bend) helps cast your lure/bait.
Lastly, don't let the rod tip drop during the false casts.  This is pretty important because it does two things, keeps the rod loaded and keeps a tight loop which is important for distance. A rod that is more perpendicular to the moving line can store more energy (the line is  moving horizontally so, keep the rod as vertical as possible.) And, if the tip of the rod moves from say 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock on the forward cast, then the loop size increases and energy is lost to the vertical direction instead of keeping it moving in the horizontal direction. Stop the rod high (11 o'clock to 1 o'clock) on both the forward and back casts and everything will fall into place.  Also, on the release, stop the rod high and let the line flutter to the water for quiet presentations.

It can be frustrating but, will be rewarding when you get the hang of if.  Since we're float fishing here, you can always chuck out as much line as you can and kick/troll the rest out. That gets played out quickly if you have to do it all day pale  My buddy supsurfer (some of you have met him on the water already) got into fly fishing just a couple of years ago at one of his son's Boy Scout camping trips and his passion for it has him as one of the better fly fisherman I know.  He has become a pretty good all-a-round fly fisherman and ties up some great patterns as well; a bonafide bass wrangler (some decent 'but kickin too.). This summer, I think it's time for some pelagics though.

A couple of places that can help you out are Long Beach Casting Club (I think they have members at the casting pond at Fred Hall helping out), Pasadena Casting Club and Bob Marriotts Fly Fishing store in Fullerton. Tons of videos online for fishing, casting and tying, too.

42whose out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: whose out there? on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Emmet

Emmet
New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member

An 18" smallie must pull like a freight train! salute
He crash-dived like a submarine, turned sideways, and stuck to the bottom like an anchor. I'm glad he wasn't hooked onto my 2 wt!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum