FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» 9th Legal Hali & New PB, Sun 10 18-20
by david886720 Today at 10:51 pm

» "Saved" By The Skunk-Buster at LAB 10-19-20
by SP Dan Today at 7:40 pm

» SALMON SEASON IS OPEN!!
by JohnnyB Today at 3:50 pm

» Are casting reels labeled right
by Jerdon Today at 9:04 am

» Its about time for another Pumpkin Carving Contest.
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:38 pm

» Report From NPH
by JohnnyB Yesterday at 8:09 pm

» LAH Thurs 10-15-20. Trifecta, Legal and "The One That-Got-Away!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:55 pm

» Shinfins???
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:48 am

» Tray for the Cumberland
by JohnnyB Yesterday at 9:08 am

» FS Maxxon XP240
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:02 am

» 10th Annual FTFF Toy Drive Details and List
by jeffcpr Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:05 am

» FixMyKite self stick valves
by Jerdon Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » U.S. Post and Topics » U.S. West Region Introductions and Discussions » Fishing Reports Western Region » First time out since January

First time out since January

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First time out since January Empty First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
So I decided it was time to fish and my plan was to try a Wednesday evening to avoid crowd's.  Newport at 18th street was still kind of busy but I managed to find my way to a safe launch spot.  
I put my new Frogg Togg waders and Seavenger booties to the test this day.  And I will post a review soon on that.
I launched at about 5:30 and fish till 9 pm.  The tide was incoming and the wind was strong west to east.  Water was warm and filled with Moon Jellies.  It was a slow day with and I manged 5 total 3 spotties and 2 Crocker.
The big story was the hug one that got away.  With my down rod in the rod holder at about 7:59 I got hit and my line was running.  I struggled to get the rod out of the holder as he was pulling so hard. Issue was I had 6lb Mono on this rod.  You could fill it was a barn door of a Halibut as you could fill the thump thump of his tail.  Only 2 minutes in I know I was in trouble and he had plans of spooling me.  It was great to feel the fight but he snapped my line and the fight was over.  One day I will find him again and the results will be different.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 7:37 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
WTG on getting out and catching a few, that had to feel good. Bummer on the light line snapping.

Thanks for sharing

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 10:25 am

SP Dan

SP Dan
This would have been your first legal Hali?!
6# line?   Why?????? Huh??
Did you forget to change out your line?

Bottom line ... you were not fully prepared for “that very moment” when opportunity presented it’s self to you.

Well, as long as you are having fun and being safe, carry on! 👍

SP Dan     <“))>

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 10:37 am

f4mnect

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Nice to have u back in the water

5First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:This would have been your first legal Hali?!
6# line?   Why?????? Huh??
Did you forget to change out your line?

Bottom line ... you were not fully prepared for “that very moment” when opportunity presented it’s self to you.

Well, as long as you are having fun and being safe, carry on! 👍

SP Dan     <“))>

I always have that rod spooled with 6lb. Its for the tough bite not meant for my trolling or down rod. So yes i blew that one personally. Would have been a tough fight even with a good set up. It ran straight to the anchored boats. I was screwed from the get go. One day I will get it.

6First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 11:42 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Nice to have u back in the water

Felt great to be back on the water.

7First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 1:04 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan
Halibut make short runs and they tire out really fast and they head straight down to the bottom to chew on their catch.

Straight runs ..... that had to be a large bat ray, that’s what they do.

You had 4 months to prepare for one day of fishing and you used 6# line! ha ha ha! Good on juvenile (short) fish. And how did it work out for you with big fish so far?
It will make you come back with stronger line for sure!

I use 15 lb fluorocarbon leaders and I‘m always ready! 😎👍

SP Dan <“))><

8First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 5:44 pm

Komori

Komori
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
We fish with 6 and 8 lb mono on our spinning rods all the time in the bay. You need to use light line to fish light jigs and light single hook spoons. They sink quicker and have better action. If we go next to pilings, rocks or kelp, out come the heavier bait casters with heavier line. That fish sounds like a shark or ray, but could have been a big Sandbass or one of those rare Striped Bass that occasionally find their way into Newport. My brother-in-law caught a 17 pounder there.

9First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 6:02 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I don't know guys my mind went straight to Halibut. All I can say was Dam I lost it until next time fishy.

10First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 6:46 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan
Wish list.

11First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Its always good to have a want right.

12First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Fri May 22, 2020 9:01 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan
Absolutely Jeff!

I WANT you to get your fish ... almost as badly as you WANT it!

In fact ... I hope that I may be there to assist you in any way; my friend, by taking pic's during the fight and of you holding it in the end.
This will happen for you. HIS WILL.

SHhhh! This is a HUGE secret .....
"the percentages of you landing your "Moby Dick" will increase each time you get your hook wet and in-front of a fish.

So ... let's hook-it-up and make this happen ... this season!  Thumbs Up
You still had an excellent session for not haven been out (your decision) for such a long period.

You've still got the touch!

PS ... The Hali's are here now in our bays folk's ... let's all get-a-few!

SP Dan

13First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Sat May 23, 2020 7:58 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:We fish with 6 and 8 lb mono on our spinning rods all the time in the bay.  You need to use light line to fish light jigs and light single hook spoons.  They sink quicker and have better action. If we go next to pilings, rocks or kelp, out come the heavier bait casters with heavier line.  That fish sounds like a shark or ray, but could have been a big Sandbass or one of those rare Striped Bass that occasionally find their way into Newport.  My brother-in-law caught a 17 pounder there.

Thanx for chiming-in kormori,

I'd luv to see a pic of your brother's 17 lb Stripper from his float tube.
Please take a moment and take a look at my pic ... holding a 34.5" Stripper against my chest, from the surf. (just 1 of 5 landed)

I've never caught a Stripper in the SW inner harbors, FW lakes, San Francisco Bay or it's estuaries nor from the CA Aqueduct but have I landed (5) five Strippers while surf fishing in SoCal: in Manhattan Beach and Hermosa beach.

I was using 55-lb braided at the time and I was also a member of "Team SWAT on FNN" at the time as well.
We held the "Hunting Giants" Event every year in Malibu, for 7 years in a row. Maybe you herd of the yearly fishing event?!

Perhaps you could take the time and show me how it's done with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] line in the salt water kormori. I'd luv to be able to land more fish.  Very Happy

I'm always open for a fishing invite when someone starts expressing to me how to fish differently than my common sense experiences have already taught me.  
Cool So please show me how-to kormori, I'm always open ...  Thumbs Up

PS ... I've always luv'd a good: my daddy, my friend, my brother type of stories or of "the one's that got away" stories. lol

SP Dan

Hey Dan easy up man this is a friendly place we all have stories and we all have opinions.  Be kind Dan we are all in this together.

Last edited by jeffcpr on Sun May 24, 2020 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

14First time out since January Empty Re: First time out since January on Sun May 24, 2020 6:28 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:We fish with 6 and 8 lb mono on our spinning rods all the time in the bay.  You need to use light line to fish light jigs and light single hook spoons.  They sink quicker and have better action. If we go next to pilings, rocks or kelp, out come the heavier bait casters with heavier line.  That fish sounds like a shark or ray, but could have been a big Sandbass or one of those rare Striped Bass that occasionally find their way into Newport.  My brother-in-law caught a 17 pounder there.

Thanx for chiming-in kormori,

I'd luv to see a pic of your brother's 17 lb Stripper from his float tube.
Please take a moment and take a look at my pic ... holding a 34.5" Stripper against my chest, from the surf. (just 1 of 5 landed)

I've never caught a Stripper in the SW inner harbors, FW lakes, San Francisco Bay or it's estuaries nor from the CA Aqueduct but have I landed (5) five Strippers while surf fishing in SoCal: in Manhattan Beach and Hermosa beach.

I was using 55-lb braided at the time and I was also a member of "Team SWAT on FNN" at the time as well.
We held the "Hunting Giants" Event every year in Malibu, for 7 years in a row. Maybe you herd of the yearly fishing event?!

Perhaps you could take the time and show me how it's done with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] line in the salt water kormori. I'd luv to be able to land more fish.  Very Happy

I'm always open for a fishing invite when someone starts expressing to me how to fish differently than my common sense experiences have already taught me.  
Cool So please show me how-to kormori, I'm always open ...  Thumbs Up

PS ... I've always luv'd a good: my daddy, my friend, my brother type of stories or of "the one's that got away" stories. lol

SP Dan

Hey Dan easy up man this is a friendly place we all have stores and we all have opinions.  Be kind Dan we are with you.

I guess that this past 4 months of being alone in isolation is having it’s toll on on me as well, even though I try to stay busy and occupy all my free time.

My apologies Komori, my response came across rather harsh.
I appreciate your experiences and your stories. I also appreciate your expertise on the freshwater bass species which you helped me to ID the Spotted Bass last year caught at Perris.

Thanx Jeff for winding in the ol’ kite string.
Big breath .... exhale

Time for a breather .......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum