FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Skunk buster landed, Sun 11-22-20
by SP Dan Today at 9:03 am

» R.I.P Ornery Bob
by TobyB Yesterday at 9:21 pm

» 10th Annual FTFF Toy Drive Details and List
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:21 pm

» When you wish upon a star!
by jeffcpr Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:12 pm

» Sunday KING TIDE Session At LAH
by SP Dan Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:31 am

» Report from LAH 11-18-20
by SP Dan Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:55 pm

» Outcast Prowler w Fish Finder and K-Pump
by Basstuber Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:37 pm

» Maxxon, Seven Bass, 12bb, or???
by jeffcpr Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:58 pm

» LAH Sat 11-14-20
by SP Dan Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:26 pm

» Vote on the Best Pumpkin
by JohnnyB Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:00 pm

» 48 minute LAH Session For One Fish!
by SP Dan Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:17 pm

» Float tube vs pontoon
by Jerdon Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:45 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » U.S. Post and Topics » U.S. West Region Introductions and Discussions » Fishing Reports Western Region » Are casting reels labeled right

Are casting reels labeled right

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Are casting reels labeled right on Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:05 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Show of hands, how many right handed people reel their spinning reel with their left hand? Then go out and buy a right handed bait caster reel and reel with their right hand? I think the manufactures have it backwards or is it just me? so many questions..lol

SP Dan likes this post

2Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
I started out on spinning equipment in freshwater and never gave the left-hand reeling a thought, cast right handed and reel with the left. However, when I used conventional equipment on the saltwater boats it was always righthanded. My right thumb was the line handling guide and I still cast right handed. My first bait caster was lefthanded Abu Garcia 5501. Somehow it just felt funny. So, righthanded it is.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:13 am

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
So u cast right and switch hands to reel. Its just seems weird seeing people do that. You could get a bite on the drop and not be ready. I can see maybe on the boat needing strong arm to reel but i like my strong arm on the rod.

4Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:04 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:So u cast right and switch hands to reel. Its just seems weird seeing people do that. You could get a bite on the drop and not be ready. I can see maybe on the boat needing strong arm to reel but i like my strong arm on the rod.

With the baitcaster I throw righthanded and my hand is wrapped around the reel, finger on the "trigger" and thumb on or near the spool. On the drop my thumb is on the line as it feeds out and have set the hook with my thumb on the spool before I had a chance to put it in gear several times. I can say it used to seem counter productive to me as well. But somehow I just evolved to the switch hands technique.

With the spinning reel I am one of those guys who has his left hand on the line trying to feel the bite a lot of the time.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

5Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:36 am

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
I only brought up the subject because i see so many right handed reels for sale online and in stores. I think many people buy the righty and just get use to it.

6Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 am

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Kinda like my left handed dad teaching my right handed uncle to play pool. To this day my uncle still shoots lefty.

kin likes this post

7Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:58 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Yep that is me as well I and right handed with left handed spinning reels and right handed baitcasting reels. I am going to switch a spinning reel to right handed just to see what happens for me. salute

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am

Thefloatingfisherman

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
I have only ever use left handed reels for spinning and casting. I’m right handed but ever since my first spinning reel I just always went with left bait casters. Harder to find but worth it for me. I don’t think I could cast the opposite way it just feel weird thinking about it lol

JohnnyB likes this post

9Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:30 pm

kin

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I use both depending on technique. If i'm throwing rubber/pitching lures, I'll tend to throw with a lefty reel under the assumption of getting hit on the drop. However, If i'm throwing reaction baits such as cranks and spinnerbaits, I'll throw with a right hand retrieve reel. Mind you, I also walk the dog a lot better with my right hand than my left. Good to be proficient using both?

10Are casting reels labeled right  Empty Re: Are casting reels labeled right on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:49 am

steve-aka-fishy

steve-aka-fishy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I use left handed reels for spinning and baitcasting. I've tried using right handed reels because they're easier to find and purchase but it just doesn't feel natural to me.

I would much rather have control of the rod with my dominant hand for the twitching involved with fishing. Just feels more accurate to me.

Another thing is my right hand is stronger than my left so when I'm pulling on a fish I feel I have more force and control with it.

JohnnyB likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum