FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New member looking for something to cover more water

+9
WItuber
Socal Perky
ronniek524
Renegade
Jerdon
SP Dan
HNTFSH
jeffcpr
desmobob
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

They no longer will be selling these and the 240. They have some in stock at an even better price but they are going fast.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

HNTFSH

HNTFSH
FTFF Gathering Officer

Dan - I wasn't gonna shoot, I have treble hooks.  WAY more dangerous. jocolor

Just pulling your leg on the music, when I hear speakers while float tubing I reminded of the jerk-weed  that invaded my best spot, in city limits, that has a view of downtown. It's a fantastic spot, close to home and I only fish it at night 1. because it fishes better then and 2. I hate giving people ideas.  It's also border line OK to fish from a legal perspective.  It's allowed but frowned upon, all of the shoreline surrounding is Private Property but the water itself is a safe zone.  I have feared for 30 years they'll fence it off or patrol it better at night.

Anyway - a favorite fishing night is 4th of July.  View of the fireworks while fishing is magnificent, I can fish through the traffic leaving and have clear sailing home at 1:00 am.  The jerk-weed I refer to was some dumb-ass with a "crawdad boat" and trolling motor.  He had a date, a cooler, and loud ass music playing as they boated through the water.  Absolutely aggravating as hell.  

I like people, just not when I am hunting and fishing.

SP Dan

SP Dan

Ha ha ha!!!
Believe you me! I would’ve thought about sinking his boat too!!! Ha ha ha!! Thumbs Up

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

WItuber

FTFF Gathering Officer

The Dave Scadden Zonker is the way to go. Bought mine last year really a nice craft wish it had backpack straps but going to rig it up. Really draws little water the only thing that’s in the water really is your bottom 2/3 of lower leg on down. The order is also work very well very slick rig.

jmytuna and desmobob like this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Here is the Zonker for those interested in which one this is.

desmobob likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks.  That's the one I'm leaning toward.  A bonus is that Scadden advertises that it fits in the back of a Subaru Outback.  My Subaru Forester has a slightly taller, slightly shorter cargo area, but it still might fit.  I don't mind having to partially deflate it if it wouldn't.

Edit to add:
I'm also looking at the Raptor.  I'm 6'2" and 250lbs. and seeing the Zonker videos with Dave Scadden in it makes me think it might be on the small size for me.

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Good point. I wonder how much do you, WItuber, weigh....if you don't mind my asking. With the rocker design, a good portion of the tube is actually out of the water and not providing flotation so the next floating 'force' if I can make that term up is significantly shorter than the length of the tube compared to more traditional straight tube bottoms.

desmobob wrote:Thanks.  That's the one I'm leaning toward.  A bonus is that Scadden advertises that it fits in the back of a Subaru Outback.  My Subaru Forester has a slightly taller, slightly shorter cargo area, but it still might fit.  I don't mind having to partially deflate it if it wouldn't.

Edit to add:
I'm also looking at the Raptor.  I'm 6'2" and 250lbs. and seeing the Zonker videos with Dave Scadden in it makes me think it might be on the small size for me.

Bigredokie

Bigredokie
FTFF Gathering Officer

My thoughts on the whole covering more water with the aid of a trolling motor and oars. First to each his/her own do YOUR thing. But why not just buy a two man bass boat with all the features ? Livewells, motors, trolling motors, ect..... Half the tubes your not even in the water. Like i said do YOUR thing but to me if you want to tube fish then belly deep in the water is the place to be. I have tubed everything from half acres ponds to 100,000 acre lakes .. Heck back in the late 90's early 2000's use to go down to lake Fork and tube fish for weeks at a time. Funny story. I was fishin running creek on the north east side of fork and some good ole boys puled up in their ranger and said hey man there is a gator right over there... I just turned and looked at him and said " he's safe I'm not fishin for them today" They just fired up and went on their way shaking their heads.. anyway I love that story. for me its old school round tube , paddle pushers and belly dep in the water.. I have a skeeter now so when I want to cover water i will do just that.

HNTFSH likes this post

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

LOL!! Glad you spared that gator to live another day. Smile

As to why cover water with a float tube, my context is one example. My local lake is nicely over 100 acres and does not allow private boats but allow float tubes. However, at times, chasing the trout that moves around quite a bit requires a fair bit of ground to cover.

Bigredokie wrote:My thoughts on the whole covering more water with the aid of a trolling motor and oars. First to each his/her own do YOUR thing. But why not just buy a two man bass boat with all the features ? Livewells, motors, trolling motors, ect..... Half the tubes your not even in the water. Like i said do YOUR thing but to me if you want to tube fish then belly deep in the water is the place to be. I have tubed everything from half acres ponds to 100,000 acre lakes .. Heck back in the late 90's early 2000's use to go down to lake Fork and tube fish for weeks at a time.  Funny story. I was  fishin running creek on the north east side of fork and some good ole boys puled up in their ranger and said hey man there is a gator right over there... I just turned and looked at him and said " he's safe I'm not fishin for them today" They just fired up and went on their way shaking their heads.. anyway I love that story. for me its old school round tube , paddle pushers and belly dep in the water.. I have a skeeter now so when I want to cover water i will do just that.

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Bigredokie wrote:My thoughts on the whole covering more water with the aid of a trolling motor and oars. First to each his/her own do YOUR thing. But why not just buy a two man bass boat with all the features ? Livewells, motors, trolling motors, ect..... Half the tubes your not even in the water. Like i said do YOUR thing but to me if you want to tube fish then belly deep in the water is the place to be.  

I asked a question about float tubes (and never mentioned trolling motors).  A bass boat is hardly a substitute for a float tube.

I have a Tracker Pro170 bass boat, a 14' aluminum rowboat, a kayak, three canoes (a solo, a tandem, and a whitewater model) and three float tubes.  Horses for courses...

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

It's funny we all have our thoughts on float tube fishing and we now have a lot of different options as well. I for one have been in most all designs of float tubes now and they all have there uses.

There are some many options now to get off shore and on to the water. Your questions were valid and I hope we answered them for the most part. I am sure there is more to add as well. This also might have helped others as well. So back on track to what style of float tube can cover more water.

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Sorry if that previous post seemed harsh.  I didn't intend it as so.

So far, the Scadden Raptor Lite Speed X looks like the one I'm interested in.

One more thing about covering a lot of water... anyone who has suffered a leg or foot cramp while finning their float tube for a long distance would probably appreciate the option of putting your feet up on the foot rest and rowing for a while.  That's another one of my reasons for wanting a tube that can be rowed.

Being immersed in cold water really sets me up for leg cramps.  I've had some horrible nights waking up with massive leg cramps after a long day of cold water float tubing or duck hunting.  Here in the northeast, cold water is part of float tubing.  Trout season opens for me on April 1 and many of the ponds will still be frozen over.  Water temps will be COLD until summer and many will still be very cool then.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

desmobob wrote:Sorry if that previous post seemed harsh.  I didn't intend it as so.

So far, the Scadden Raptor Lite Speed X looks like the one I'm interested in.

One more thing about covering a lot of water... anyone who has suffered a leg or foot cramp while finning their float tube for a long distance would probably appreciate the option of putting your feet up on the foot rest and rowing for a while.  That's another one of my reasons for wanting a tube that can be rowed.

Being immersed in cold water really sets me up for leg cramps.  I've had some horrible nights waking up with massive leg cramps after a long day of cold water float tubing or duck hunting.  Here in the northeast, cold water is part of float tubing.  Trout season opens for me on April 1 and many of the ponds will still be frozen over.  Water temps will be COLD until summer and many will still be very cool then.

I am not familiar with this Raptor Lite Speed X other than it sounds like the light weight material he has. I do have 2 of the Detonator Lo Pro. and absolutely love it. Smaller diameter pontoon and drop stitch floor like SUPs. It has a removeable Keel for tracking as well. I prefer the molded plastic seat and the floor is big enough to stand on if you have that kinda balance. The whole boat fits in a duffle bag. You do need a LVM pump however for that floor.

desmobob likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Renegade wrote:  You do need a LVM pump however for that floor.

Thanks.
Could you tell me what you use for a pump?
I have two sizes of double-action low pressure pumps like this:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is something different needed for the floor sections of the Scadden tubes?

Bob

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use a 12 volt LVM pump that Dave sells. I top off with a K-Pump. But I had a Scadden SUP and still have a Fuzion which are that drop stitch and require more air. Plus the floor of our Contender and the Kayak.

desmobob likes this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This is all great information guys so glad you are all sharing I am learning a lot from this thread. Keep it up everyone. I am really more interested in the Scandden stuff myself but keep all this info coming. I am sure it is helping others as well.

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I just got off the phone with Dave Scadden. He was very helpful and seems like a nice guy. I decided on the Raptor Lite Speed X, which is basically the same as the Detonator Lo Pro except with larger diameter tubes. He had just returned from a show in Oregon and gave me the show special price, which was $200 less than the current "show special price" on the website.

I'll post my impressions of the tube when it arrives!

Thanks for all the help,
Bob

Renegade and Myredyota like this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

desmobob wrote:I just got off the phone with Dave Scadden.  He was very helpful and seems like a nice guy.  I decided on the Raptor Lite Speed X, which is basically the same as the Detonator Lo Pro except with larger diameter tubes.  He had just returned from a show in Oregon and gave me the show special price, which was $200 less than the current "show special price" on the website.

I'll post my impressions of the tube when it arrives!

Thanks for all the help,
Bob

Sweet buddy cannot wait to hear what you think.

desmobob likes this post

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

That's great Bob. Can't wait to hear your report.

As a side note, I did a fair bit of research and did find quite a bit of critique of their after sale service and warranty. However, no critique on the performance of their crafts though he apparently used to advertise it as class 5 capable but don't see him doing that now so this is good.

desmobob likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

FloatTubeIQ wrote:That's great Bob.  Can't wait to hear your report.

As a side note, I did a fair bit of research and did find quite a bit of critique of their after sale service and warranty.  However, no critique on the performance of their crafts though he apparently used to advertise it as class 5 capable but don't see him doing that now so this is good.  

Thanks!

Yes, there are some poor reviews based mostly on customer service. After talking to some customers myself, I decided to go ahead and purchase a Scadden boat without much worry.

Time will tell if I made a good purchase decision.

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Statistically, I think you will come out ahead as I believe most products never need warranty service. This is super - love to hear your feedback/review.

desmobob likes this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

desmobob wrote:
FloatTubeIQ wrote:That's great Bob.  Can't wait to hear your report.

As a side note, I did a fair bit of research and did find quite a bit of critique of their after sale service and warranty.  However, no critique on the performance of their crafts though he apparently used to advertise it as class 5 capable but don't see him doing that now so this is good.  

Thanks!

Yes, there are some poor reviews based mostly on customer service.  After talking to some customers myself, I decided to go ahead and purchase a Scadden boat without much worry.

Time will tell if I made a good purchase decision.  

I have heard the same about Customer Service. I agree these types of boats don't really need the warranty as the are easy to repair and if you take care of them will last you for years. One of the bigger reason I like the PVC style tubes.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

By the way what a great looking personal water craft.

Renegade and desmobob like this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I'm one of those folks who researches the daylights out of almost any purchase I make.  I'm sure I've read tens of thousands of reviews over the years!   Suspect

One thing seemed to stand out about the Scadden reviews... the negatives were few but very vocal/angry/condemning.  It seemed unusual to me.  It made me wonder if some of the unhappy people may have had a personality conflict with Mr. Scadden that affected their experience.  

I know that kind of thing can happen with a small company where the owner deals directly with the customers.  It's different than having a trained customer service rep who can politely deal with people who may be upset, angry, or even a bit rude.  Sometimes, owners don't do well with that...  

That's just a theory of mine and I might be completely off base...

Renegade and Myredyota like this post

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

desmobob wrote:I'm one of those folks who researches the daylights out of almost any purchase I make.  I'm sure I've read tens of thousands of reviews over the years!   Suspect

One thing seemed to stand out about the Scadden reviews... the negatives were few but very vocal/angry/condemning.  It seemed unusual to me.  It made me wonder if some of the unhappy people may have had a personality conflict with Mr. Scadden that affected their experience.  

I know that kind of thing can happen with a small company where the owner deals directly with the customers.  It's different than having a trained customer service rep who can politely deal with people who may be upset, angry, or even a bit rude.  Sometimes, owners don't do well with that...  

That's just a theory of mine and I might be completely off base...

I read some as well, mostly on Washington sites and the complainers were Outcast fans and associates. I personally know of several complaints that were unfounded, but shizz can happen.

desmobob likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum