FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New member looking for something to cover more water

+9
WItuber
Socal Perky
ronniek524
Renegade
Jerdon
SP Dan
HNTFSH
jeffcpr
desmobob
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I just got a shipping notification from NFO... my new Raptor Lite Speed X is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.  My fishfindermounts.com mount for my Garmin Striker Plus 5cv is scheduled to arrive the day before.

I'm excited.  I hope it's a good experience.  It's hard not to be at least a tiny bit worried after reading some of the reviews...   But I'm a worrier by nature and 99% of the time, there was no need to worry.   I'll post a report of my initial impressions and a post-fishing report; maybe both on Tuesday!  Very Happy

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Love mine. Season 4 coming up.

desmobob likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Renegade wrote:Love  mine.  Season 4 coming up.

Thanks for the encouragement! It will be a L-O-N-G wait until Tuesday. I'm like a kid at Christmas when I order something.

Renegade and guido like this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I was out in my Outcast FatCat this morning on Lake Bomoseen in VT. I fished a little size 8 olive and white Clouser on an intermediate line and caught largemouth bass, yellow perch, black crappie and two northern pike (one bit the fly off and escaped with it just as I was about to net him).

We have rain in the forecast for the next two days so I hope to get my waders patched up and waterproof again. I had to wring out my socks after six hours in the tube this morning. Mad

guido likes this post

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

WTG desmobob!
Way to get our and catch some, thanks for sharing.

desmobob likes this post

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

FedEx e-mailed telling me to be ready... my package from Dave Scadden was estimated to arrive between 10:30 and 12:50 on Tuesday. Well, I waited around all day Tuesday and FedEx never showed. I got another e-mail on Tuesday afternoon saying the delivery was estimated to be between 10:30 and 12:50 on Wednesday. So I waited around again all day today. Nothing!

A look at the detailed tracking of the package showed it just arrived in central NY. It was still in Ohio at the delivery time they alerted me to on Tuesday and got to western NY when it was supposed to be delivered today. What an incredible waste of my time. And two days of being pissed off. Why does FedEx bother to send a delivery notification with a delivery estimate of two hours if it's not even accurate to two days?

Sorry... had to vent!

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

FED EX is the worse. Sorry.

desmobob likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

The Raptor Lite Speed X arrived this morning. I unpacked it in the spring snowstorm we had this morning after clearing the snow off my car and covered Bass Tracker boat.   Rolling Eyes

The first thing I noticed was "Made in China" on the box label and a lack of instructions of any kind or an invoice or receipt.

I inflated the two sides and the floor section with the included foot pump, which whistled annoyingly but worked perfectly.  The foot bar and motor mount fit nicely.  With the tube about 2/3 or so deflated, it fit easily into the back of my Subaru Forester with the rear seat folded down.

The second thing I noticed was that the seat --I chose the lightweight foam option-- has mounting straps and brass clips that don't really work well with the attachment points on the tube.  The seat base of the Raptor has four straps attached that sure look like they're for mounting a seat, but they have no clips or buckles.  And the foam seat's hardware doesn't match up to them.  The seat only has attachment straps and hardware on its upright back; midway up and near the top on each side.  There are no loops, straps, D-rings, etc. anywhere on the seat's base, where it would seem there should be to keep it securely in place.

The third thing was that I received two right-side gear bags instead of one left and one right (the only difference is the end the zipper opens from and a seemingly useless open fabric loop on the end... no big deal).

Fourth, there is absolutely no way I could snap the oars into the molded plastic holders that keep them out of the way when not in use.  The openings are far too small.  There may be a chance when the temperature gets up out of the low 40's here and the plastic is a bit more flexible, but I'm doubtful.  The oars seem to stay out of the way on their own when the oarlocks are folded down.  I'm hoping that holds true in actual use.

I'm really hoping to get a chance to put it in the water tomorrow afternoon.  It's supposed to get up into the mid-50's but breezy.

More to follow! I hope the next report is far more positive!

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thanks for sharing this all with us I am very interested to see what you think once it's on the water. I think I know what you are talking about as far as the oar locks. I agree with you the oar locks they use for these types of boats are tough to work especially in the cold.
Just a thought on the D-rings on the side you can add an oar keeper and there are lots of oar keepers out there. If this becomes an issue maybe you can find a quick fix.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Maybe of help, but the made in China on the box is unusual, but the seat and bags very well could be. As for instructions, can be a problem special with cloth seats but he does have youtube vids. The bags are all the same, but a lot of people like it. I use one bag. I went with molded plastic seat and it has like cam straps clips. Easy mount with four stars on the boat. The cloth seats are universal, I have several of them from other toons. The oars are a tight fit in holders but they will fit. Great when having to carry the toon to the water. Hope you figure it out and make it yours.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I for one an interested in the plastic molded seat. Are you comfortable on these types of seat Renegade. I have been sitting the the cloth kayak seat for years now, while I don't have an issue with them I am sure interested in the molded seat style. They seem like they could be more comfortable in the long run.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:I for one an interested in the plastic molded seat.  Are you comfortable on these types of seat Renegade.  I have been sitting the the cloth kayak seat for years now, while I don't have an issue with them I am sure interested in the molded seat style.  They seem like they could be more comfortable in the long run.

I prefer the molded seat. The padding is nice.

jeffcpr likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Renegade wrote:Maybe of help, but the made in China on the box is unusual,  but the seat and bags very well could be.

Thanks for your responses, Renegade and Jeff.  I appreciate your input.

Here's a photo of the label on the box.  Seems pretty straightforward to me...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  

The oars absolutely will not go into the oar holders.  I actually put a small dent in one of the aluminum oar shafts trying to force it into the holder.  It will be an easy fix by trimming them or adding something to them.  Or, as Jeff mentioned, there is a D-ring just above the oar holder.  A very simple home-made oar holder could be attached there.  I'll wait until it warms up before I decide what to do.  It's supposed to hit the mid-50s today.

The right/left bag thing is a non-issue for me and I guess it turns out to be a non-issue period!  I like them a lot.  They are very roomy and have some handy features.

I was tempted to order the hard seat but I'm a bigger than average guy and I didn't want to risk it being too small for me.  That would be probably be a tremendous discomfort.  Bulk and weight were also a consideration.  I also figured I would have the option of trying one later on if I wanted to.

I'm hoping I'll get the Raptor in the water this afternoon!

A question...  In my researching and reading a load of reviews, one mentioned the PVC pontoon material cracking because of being folded.  A saw another general reference  to PVC cracking as well.  My plan to transport my Raptor was to partially deflate it and put it in the back of my Subaru Forester.  This does involve folding the ends of the pontoons inward at 90˚.  No sharp creases involved or anything and it will be partially deflated, but it will get folded in the same general area each time.

Am I better off leaving it inflated and putting it on my roof rack?  That wasn't something I wanted to do, but could, if it was going to help the Raptor last longer.

If I don't get in the water with it this afternoon, I'll get the opportunity tomorrow!  I can hardly wait! I even broke out the Aquaseal and did some more patching on my waders last night.   Very Happy

Thanks,
Bob

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

desmobob wrote:
Renegade wrote:Maybe of help, but the made in China on the box is unusual,  but the seat and bags very well could be.

Thanks for your responses, Renegade and Jeff.  I appreciate your input.

Here's a photo of the label on the box, complete with misspelled name.  Seems pretty straightforward to me...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  

The oars absolutely will not go into the oar holders.  I actually put a small dent in one of the aluminum oar shafts trying to force it into the holder.  It will be an easy fix by trimming them or adding something to them.  Or, as Jeff mentioned, there is a D-ring just above the oar holder.  A very simple home-made oar holder could be attached there.  I'll wait until it warms up before I decide what to do.  It's supposed to hit the mid-50s today.

The right/left bag thing is a non-issue for me and I guess it turns out to be a non-issue period!  I like them a lot.  They are very roomy and have some handy features.

I was tempted to order the hard seat but I'm a bigger than average guy and I didn't want to risk it being too small for me.  That would be probably be a tremendous discomfort.  Bulk and weight were also a consideration.  I also figured I would have the option of trying one later on if I wanted to.

I'm hoping I'll get the Raptor in the water this afternoon!

A question...  In my researching and reading a load of reviews, one mentioned the PVC pontoon material cracking because of being folded.  A saw another general reference  to PVC cracking as well.  My plan to transport my Raptor was to partially deflate it and put it in the back of my Subaru Forester.  This does involve folding the ends of the pontoons inward at 90˚.  No sharp creases involved or anything and it will be partially deflated, but it will get folded in the same general area each time.

Am I better off leaving it inflated and putting it on my roof rack?  That wasn't something I wanted to do, but could, if it was going to help the Raptor last longer.

If I don't get in the water with it this afternoon, I'll get the opportunity tomorrow!  I can hardly wait! I even broke out the Aquaseal and did some more patching on my waders last night.   Very Happy

Thanks,
Bob

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I can only give you my experience. I have and have had at least 30 NFO boats and SUP. I store them in Duffle Bags except the Contender. It is too big and a wood motor mount, so it is rolled up in the rafters of the garage. I have an Assault that is 8 yrs old. No cracks at all. The two Detonators we store in a trailer in Idaho rolled up. I will be there next week but 4 yrs on one with no cracks. I can say, I leave one in the water for 5 months tied to a dock with snow and rain and lotsa sun. The straps that tie the seat down did sun rot. I glued D rings on and cured that problem. Nothing is 100%. If you are a bigger guy, the molded seat might not work. Hubby is 6'3" and 230 lb. Doesn't like them. Sorry for your problems with your new boat.

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Renegade wrote:I can only give you my experience.  I have and have had at least 30 NFO boats and SUP. ...

And you have far more NFO experience than anyone I've run into! I appreciate your insight.

I'm happy to have you dispel my concerns about folding or rolling the boat for transport. It really didn't sound right when I read the first report. The guy made it sound like he folded up his boat once to put it in his car and it was ruined. This was on that west coast web forum where there seems to be several Dave Scadden haters on board...

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was becoming one of them. The issues with my Raptor I talked about are minor and I can work around them or fix/improve them. I can see where that might not be the case with other buyers though, so I wanted to post my first impressions.

The on-the-water impressions are yet to come. I won't be able to get out until tomorrow morning and I might not be able to post anything over the weekend.

I'm looking forward with positive expectations!

Thanks,
Bob

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I am glad you brought this up. I texted Dave on the China on the box. I wanted to know as well. Here is his reply. The rigid inflated floor system in many of our frameless boats, paddleboard's, kayaks and rafts uses what is termed as drop stitch technology. There is only one place in the world that produces drop stitch technology. China. We have to designate made in China on the box because of these components when shipping them to Canada.

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I don't understand he problem with Made in china. It IS made in China right? Or does he claim it is made in the USA.?

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

FloatTubeIQ wrote:I don't understand he problem with Made in china. It IS made in China right? Or does he claim it is made in the USA.?

They are made in USA.  I have seen the place.   But it has been a couple years since Covid.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Renegade wrote:I am glad you brought this up.  I texted Dave on the China on the box.  I wanted to know as well.  Here is his reply.  The rigid inflated floor system in many of our frameless boats, paddleboard's, kayaks and rafts uses what is termed as drop stitch technology. There is only one place in the world that produces drop stitch  technology. China. We have to designate made in China on the box because of these components when shipping them to Canada.

Make sense I have always enjoyed the look of the Dave Scadden boats. Still excited to here the full review from the water.

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Sorry to say there will be no on-the-water testing and review today.  The exhaust system on my Subaru Forester suffered a major break/leak up near the engine (the car is a 2009, so it's no surprise).  No driving until parts are procured and repairs are made!   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dude that sucks at the start of this year my truck Radiator took a dump. Had to wait almost 2 me nths before I could fix it. After it was fix my wife's went out not even a month later. Still recovering from those repair costs LOL.

desmobob likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:Dude that sucks at the start of this year my truck Radiator took a dump.  Had to wait almost 2 me nths before I could fix it.  After it was fix my wife's went out not even a month later.  Still recovering from those repair costs LOL.

Sorry to hear that...

The car is 12 years old and here in NY they dump salt on the roads all winter... nothing lasts long.  I was expecting to have to replace the entire exhau$t $y$tem.  

Turns out the threads rotted away on/around my O2 sensor and it blew out, leaving a hole.  The guys at the local shop are going to weld in a replacement bung and replace the sensor on Monday, so I'm hopefully only on foot for another two days and then I'll be able to get my new Raptor to the lakes!

jeffcpr likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

desmobob wrote:
jeffcpr wrote:Dude that sucks at the start of this year my truck Radiator took a dump.  Had to wait almost 2 me nths before I could fix it.  After it was fix my wife's went out not even a month later.  Still recovering from those repair costs LOL.

Sorry to hear that...  

The car is 12 years old and here in NY they dump salt on the roads all winter... nothing lasts long before rust destroys it. I was expecting to have to replace the entire exhau$t $y$tem.  

Turns out the threads rotted away on/around my O2 sensor and it blew out, leaving a hole.  The guys at the local shop are going to weld in a replacement bung and replace the sensor on Monday, so I'm hopefully only on foot for another two days and then I'll be able to get my new Raptor to the lakes!

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Bob, curious:

1. What is the specifications for the LightspeedX? Length and tube diameter for example? And what is the material?

2. And why this over the Detonator? You wanted max tube size?

Sorry about your bit of car trouble. Hope you get on water soon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum