FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 2 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Full Gigbob 2.0 Review

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Full Gigbob 2.0 Review  Empty Full Gigbob 2.0 Review Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:38 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So I have had this Inflatable for about 3 to 4 months now and have had it out a few times already.  But today was the first time I have had the entire frameless pontoon on the water as a whole boat.  Before today I have only had the drop stitch top on the water.  That worked well but I needed to test out the complete boat.

The reason I did not have it out sooner was two fold one, when it arrived it did not have oars.  Their oars were back ordered and with all the shortage in supplies from overseas there was no idea when the complete Gigbob wit oars would arrive.  The option was to wait or take it without oars.  I have waited for years now so it was a no brainer to send it. I will figure out their oars.  The other reason I have not taken the whole thing out was just getting it to the water on my own.  After some brainstorming I figured out how to use my new DIY wheeled cart and it worked like a charm.

I will say this, a big downfall is building the boat.  The float platform comes separate from the pontoons and you have to line up the pockets on the top section with the Pontoons and slide in the plates to connect it all.  That is a tough build and the first time putting it together it took me about 30 minutes just to connect one side.  Good thing is now that I have done it, it seems to go faster.  The next big issue is attached the Oar Lock plates and anchor plate on the back.  This also takes a lot of work and struggle but I am sure in time it will get easier.  

Right out of the box it seemed to me that the Top part minus the Pontoons would be the way to go.  But I had to get it all out there for a true test and today was the day.  Once in the water I could see the pros and cons pretty fast.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pros of the Gigbob 2.0
1. The size or space on the boat is amazing.  Plenty of room to add attachments and to work from.

2. The Added Pontoons made for close to a full foot of me off the water surface, great casting platform.

3. The Pontoons act like shock absorbers on the water, as boat wakes roll up you don’t fill it as much as a normal tube.

4. The construction as with most hybrids is just amazing, longevity of these types of boats is long with basic care.

5. Visibility by others I know we can all be seen but the profile of this boat just makes you stand out more.

Cons of the Gigbob 2.0
1. The size of the boat, transporting it in a car is tough, (not impossible as it breaks down into a large backpack) but you will need to assemble and inflate at the water side.  Plus transporting it to the water is not easy. You need a wheel cart, extra help, or the ability to back up to the water.

2. Height, nearly a full foot off the water which changes your kicking style.  You are basically about ankle deep in the water so it is a change in kicking for anyone not use to these boats.

3. The Pontoons cute down on the bow of the boat and you have a narrowed area for your legs in front of you.

4. The overall weight of the boat, this by all means does not mean it is heavy as it looks.  When you go to move it you can see it is not as heavy as it could be.  But it is not a float tube so you cannot just backpack it in completely inflate.  Once again it comes in a backpack which holds everything and all together weighs about 50 lbs.

The Gigbob 2.0 on the water handled well, as I mentioned the Pontoons seemed to act like shock absorbers on the water when boats went by.  That was pretty cool and somewhat helpful for long days on the water.  The oars are a problem for me as I will need to purchase a new set that fits right.  I do believe that you will need the oars.  But I can say that as long as there are no major currents or winds you should be fine with just using fins.  It moves slowly with your fins partly because of your height out of the water.  Turning was not an issue at all and when I needed to make the boat move it moved with ease, just still slower than most boats.

OK this is nothing major but here is something I like very much when exiting the water for the day getting out of the boat was easy.  The added high makes it easy to beach the boat and stand up from it when you are done with your day.  One last thing that I liked and I have never been a fan of the foot rests for when you're rowing.  They in the past with boats like this seem to be in the way and for me at 6 foot 1 inch tall never give you the room you need to row and clear your knees.  The foot rests are not in the way at all and I did use them for a little while which gave me a chance to change sitting position, which I feel can extend your time on the water.

OK yes I know this is a Float Tube Fishing Forum and in the past we have had discussions as to Pontoons float tubes. This was mostly wrapped around our tournaments.  The way I see it, a personal inflatable boat is not really a true float tube.  But it still fits the sport.  The Gigbob 2.0 is not for everyone and I can say it is overkill for small lakes.   But if you are fishing big water and moving waters this has a place and could serve you well.  I enjoyed the Gigbob enough that I think I will be taking it out again. It's worth it.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men

Test Tackles likes this post

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2Full Gigbob 2.0 Review  Empty Re: Full Gigbob 2.0 Review Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Test Tackles

Test Tackles
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Cool bro, Thanks for the review! I love reading these reports because it gives me more insight in to our world and style of fishing and fishing crafts. I think this thing is soupa cool man but not practical for me.

3Full Gigbob 2.0 Review  Empty Re: Full Gigbob 2.0 Review Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great report on the big boy.

It seems to match my experience with the framed pontoon. A 30 minute build at the lake feels like two hours. It just seems easier to have it together and transport it ready to dump in the water.

Thanks for the report Jeff.

Test Tackles likes this post

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

4Full Gigbob 2.0 Review  Empty Re: Full Gigbob 2.0 Review Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Just a reshare from when I did the open box video of the Gigbob 2.0