FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

» Post by jmytuna in Umbrella rig
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do you think of these?

+6
jeffcpr
Fisher
LGHT
Mendozauly
MASSfisher
bodfish
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What do you think of these? Empty What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:34 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hi Guys,
I would like to present a few ideas I was pondering tonight and see how you all feel about them.
I was perfectly ready to pound out a long and contentious preamble to this post but thought "why not just ask the guys what they thought ."

So,...

What do you think about the following ideas, regarding ways to improve the fishing here in California?

Reduced species specific take limits,

Take limits based on total weight

Permanently restricting certain species to catch and release only.

Slot size limits

Seasonal restrictions of female fish capture and take

Seasonal closures for select species, both fresh and salt, based on spawning periods

Banning the multiple point hooks, doubles and trebles.

Banning multiple hook rigs

Banning multiple rod fishing (at a time)

Banning conventional barbed hooks

Banning lead

Restrict gaffs and gaffing

Permanently restricting certain species to catch and release only.

Instituting Hawaiian style "Kapu" system of select temporary area closures particularly spawning areas during spawning season.

Banning synthetic baits use

Banning live bait use for select species and /or select seasons

Banning live bait

Permanent take closures of extremely sensitive areas

Special limited fishing tags for Big game fish pursuit much like big game hunting lotteries and bag tags.

Permanent closures of estuarial waters and seasonal restrictions of passage and access waters

Switching from a fish planting system to an indigenous grow out system

Ok, what I would appreciate everyone doing is, to read each one and just consider if you think they have value. which ones do you like? which ones do you not like? and why? This is a thought stimulus exercise. I realize that many of the ideas I have presented are not new and to a certain degree already exist as regulations but to my mind in a very limited fashion. I think their application needs to be broadened. Remember these are ideas to try and improve the fishing in our state and they are methods employed by many states, and countries worldwide, and I think we need to start considering applying them here in a much broader fashion.

bodfish

PS
any other ideas?

2What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:10 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm a big fan of slot limits. I think it's Maine (I could be wrong) that does it back on the east coast for striped bass. I wish my state did it too because it seems like the best thing for allowing the bigger spawning fish to grow even bigger and produce more fish for us to catch later.

As far as treble hooks go...they can be deadly to fish when using bait. Most of the time with lures the trebles don't do too much damage although they do occasionally cut up the gills. I've had to keep fish before (striped bass-east coast) that I would have normally released because they swallowed a regular j hook and it was all the way down the throat.....no way out of that situation.....most of the time the fish will be dead within days. I can only imagine how much damage a treble would do to a gut hooked fish.

Getting rid of barbs is another good idea but to many guys would protest the idea due to the possibility of losing fish.

I'm about to get some sleep so I'll finish this tomorrow because I agree with a bunch of other stuff too....but in my opinion it comes down to this:

Not enough people are aware of how slow some of these fish here in SoCal grow. They go fishing with the idea of keeping ANYTHING they catch. Not saying anybody here does it....but go to any fishing pier and just watch what people do with their fish. They don't care if it's too small or they've already caught their limit (which is another point I'll hit on later....there is no need to EVER keep a limit of saltwater bass).

Since I've been in California which is almost 4 years, I have NEVER, EVER had my fishing license checked. Ever. I'm not saying that every guy with a license is aware of our fishery but for the most part if your smart enough to buy a fishing license you probably know a few things about the importance of catch and release along with the rules and regulations. But I've seen guys with valid licenses violate rules as well. All I'm saying is that the state needs to crack down on this stuff.....start checking for fishing licenses and maybe some of the guys who violate these rules will be punished.

I'm really tired right now so ill add more in the morning and add on to some of the stuff I just said.....but since I've been in California I have caught 2 legal sized halibut and released them both! Not many people can say that...but I have to make up for those who take advantage of what we have.

To be continued....

Brian

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

3What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 am

personal, more laws/rules are not going to change a thing.
people are going to break them no matter what !!
personal, do we need to give the gov/state anymore power than what they have already to tell us what we can and can not do ?

yes, we need more DFG officers out there in field checking people and making sure everyone is legal but now look at the outcome, there will be more posts through out all the fishing forums beating up on the DFG for doing there part?

there is more than enough people out there trying to do there part (keeping few fish, CPR etc ) on there own.

I am sorry but this is bad post idea.
here is something to think about, look at all the gun laws.
with the gun laws, has it change anything.... NO.

4What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:54 am

Mendozauly

Mendozauly
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Im with Miller X2, we dont need more rules. This kills the sport and maybe just more people to help inforce the ones we already have. Lets not even start on gun laws, I love my AK's and it's funny that most of the hunting riffles are more powerfull that them but they still go after the AK's. Just the same way the pick on pit bull. We do our parts by having fishing lic and teaching the people around us.

5What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've been involved with fighting MLPA's rules and regs for salt a long time and the only thing I learned is the DFG is controlled by politicians and politicians in CA only care about 1 thing, getting re-elected. If you go to the DFG website you will notice that the politicians have made it a point to include their picture on the website so you know exactly who is in control of the site and the DFG. As a result it's no longer about protecting the fish or ensuring their sustainability it's about getting re-elected and making sure they don't loose approval of the majority. Because of this they no longer make rules that make sense. Rules that would help fish, but cost money don't get passed. Rules that don't make sense, but generate income for the DFG get passed. Closures don't happen because they are looking out for a certain species closures happen because the coastal millionaires don't want people fishing in their area plan and simple.

Here is a good example. I and quit a few other lobster fishermen fought the spiny lobster card implementation a few years ago because it didn't make since to limit and control the personal lobster fisherman who's take is less than 2% of all the lobsters in California and continue to give the commercial guys an UNLIMITED take. It was approved simply because the accounting department did the math and realized they could squeeze the small guy and make several hundred thousand more dollars by charging each person $7.50 for a card and then forcing them to not only log each time they fish, but each area they fish in making them buy several cards a year. The first year I spent an extra $40 dollars because I had to buy several cards. It's like they say if it doesn't make Dollars it doesn't make sense and the only goal the DFG has now is to make money so they can continue to keep their jobs after the Federal Government cut their operating budget by 40%.

6What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:24 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ya i agree with miller u can make all the rules and regs u want but it is up to the PERSON to do the right thing. people dont understand CnR they need to put the big ones back take a pic and put it back. for barbed and trebles i dont think anyone would want to take those away and it depends on the fish you are fishing for really think of the bass pros or guides what do u expect them to do there putting there life in those hooks. trout real trout ya dont us barbed hooks but for those stupid stocker trout who cares they are born and raised to die. not using live bait or cut bait same thing pros and guides they rely on live bait or cut bait. synthetic baits same thing. multiple rods i like cuz it give me an idea on what they are biting on now if your sayin ppl using more then 2 then yes they shouldnt be. lead like 90% of every weight weighted hooks jig heads there all made out of lead. i dont like this post sorry dont want to sound like a dick but seems like u want to take everything away from fishing. remember it depends on the PERSON to do the right thing

7What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:06 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I like the idea of removing treble hooks, but agree there are those that just don't care. I think it would be better to have more out enforcing the law. But we all know this wont happen either. Maybe we could be swarn in and be volunteer DFG that could write tickets or at least wear there shirts and jackets.
That would make the DFG more visable and help police those law breakers. We are out there and I know that in some cases just the though of the DFG out checking cleans up the fishing for the time being. I know this is not going to happen but maybe one day it would be possible. Just my two cents.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:50 pm

golfish

golfish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

miller wrote:we need more DFG officers out there in field checking people and making sure everyone is legal

This more then anything. I'm 52 years old, been fishing since I was 5. I've had contact with a DFG officer 3 times in those 47 years.

9What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

DFG is useless. I noticed a few guys poaching at a city lake last year so I called and no one ever showed up. Bottom line is they don't have the resources to police every lake and ocean in CA and unless they know they will be writing a ticket for sure they probably won't bother showing up.

10What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:23 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

It seems like the DFG is in force when it's lobster season, diving the LB breakwall we've been boarded 5 out of 7 times we dove there and last night they went out and got boarded again. But never been boarded while fishing?

11What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:47 pm

and the bottom line is..............
more laws, bans, rules etc is worthless.
I am sorry but I'll say it again, this post is point less.

Thank you bodfish for your thoughts and ideas. This dose show you are concern about our fishy and do you care just like the rest of us but I think somethings like is better off not being posted as it seems to bring the bad out of people.
IMO, this is the last thing we need to be seeing right now with what MLPA is doing.

12What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:51 pm

n2deepfsw wrote:It seems like the DFG is in force when it's lobster season, diving the LB breakwall we've been boarded 5 out of 7 times we dove there and last night they went out and got boarded again. But never been boarded while fishing?

its easly money thats why. its very easly to right a ticket during lobster season.
My buddy got one on the opener cause he forgot to fill out his card. The DFG guy was cool as he only wrote one ticket instead of 2 of them

13What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah the ONLY reason they make the cards and made them as complicated as possible is because they know it's EASY money. They claim it's for research purposes, but we all know the deal. I have been checked almost every time and several times the jerk DFG warden did a full search of the boat AND my buddies truck because they swore they saw us taking shorts? DFG only cares about protecting their salary and pension not fish or lobster.

14What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:59 am

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

people no longer have any regaurd for the laws already on the books!
just in the past year, only on lake isabella..
we did get a reult on 1 of 7 trotlines that we reported! don't know howmany others were reported or caught!
we reularly see a group of 3 or 4 people with 8 - 10 poles in the water, and a couple of hand lines also!

when asked 1 guy says "i've got a bunch of kids to feed!"
i said "where are they? did you know that THEY can fish for free until 16? no need to break the law!"

more dfg on the ground AND stiffer fines are the ONLY way to go!

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

15What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:52 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well lots of good response i say
I like millers the best
and the bottom line is..............
more laws, bans, rules etc is worthless.
I am sorry but I'll say it again, this post is point less.

Thank you bodfish for your thoughts and ideas. This dose show you are concern about our fishy and do you care just like the rest of us but I think somethings like is better off not being posted as it seems to bring the bad out of people.
IMO, this is the last thing we need to be seeing right now with what MLPA is doing
Oh and the treble hook can goto i hate those lil suck and so does wax lol
and dont once sence i been fishing have i ever been ask to see a fishing license I have been fishing for 30 plus years
Ed

16What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Mendozauly

Mendozauly
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

LOL sounds like this needs to be deleted. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

17What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:59 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well it seems like this is an unpopular post for some reason. I think he had some valid points and as someone who cares about our fishery I believe in some of them as well.

What I really believe in:

Lowering the limit from 10 bass to 5 or something else.

More DFG enforcing laws...like I said I've never had my license checked before...ever. I honestly wouldn't mind if they checked for it every time I fished...yea it would be annoying but at least I would know my money was going towards something and those violating the laws are held accountable.

The biggest thing is people keeping fish that they don't need to keep. I LOVE catching fish and throwing them back....people go crazy when you do it to a legal halibut. There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a legal fish or two but the days of catching fish to survive are over. Is there really a need to keep a limit of calico's. And hell...keeping a limit of calico's once isn't even that bad...but some people do it all the time and waste more than they use. I know a lot of people might be pissed with what I'm about to say but if your family is that hungry putting in a few extra hours at work instead of fishing is probably a better idea.

I'm in no way trying to start an argument just stating my opinion.....and I can see why people do it. I grew up in New England and trust me, every winter our freezer was stocked up with fresh cod and striped bass. But as I've grown older I realize that although it saved a lot of money and fed my family...we still kept more than we really needed.

I just wish people knew how badly we (humans) are destroying the oceans...its disgusting.

If I offended anybody I'm sorry...this doesn't apply to everyone and I know there are certain circumstances where catching fish IS needed to feed your family. I just feel like I see to much keeping and not enough releasing...that's all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

18What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Mendozauly

Mendozauly
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Delete, Delete, Delete, Delete, Delete

19What do you think of these? Empty Re: What do you think of these? Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well !! I knew this one was a bit hot but I had no Idea! I have been working late so I havn't even been looking until just this minute. Well done everyone, At least we all know there is a problem and that is the first step to recovery.
Here's a couple last points and then I will let this rest.
1) all of the mentioned ideas are ones that have been proposed and are being used in many states around the country, some with great success, particularly the Slot Limit, Special spawning season closures and the Hawaiian Kapu System.
2) some are not actually law but self imposed rules that many clubs and individual fisherman have adopted.
3) We all know that over the last 50 years or so the DFG has been castrated by the state house, (partly as a result of the prop 13 backlash) But let's try and keep a perspective. It is the last and only state agency that by state constitutional law exists to protect our sportfishing. The officers have been reduced to meter maids. Perhaps it is the state house that needs reminding what we expect of them. Remember that when next you vote.

Well done everyone ,..well done.

bodfish

PS
Sadly our last effort to stop the MLPAs was thrown out of court a few weeks ago. The southcoast MLPA goes into effect Jan. 1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum