FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Today at 9:25 am

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

2012-The Beginning-SD & DPH from the TUBE

+7
TheAsianGuy
n2deepfsw
ed5000x
Fisher
Konacrush
waxon67
MASSfisher
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

12012-The Beginning-SD & DPH from the TUBE Empty 2012-The Beginning-SD & DPH from the TUBE Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:08 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MY first 2 sessions only produced 3 fish.....but don't worry bout me and my fishing abilities. I predict that for me 2012 is the year of BIG fish.

2 Jan 2022-Shelter Island/Spanish Landing
Tide high @ 4:01 AM

Got to the water with 2 of my buddies sometime around 7 am and fished until around 1 (Can't really remember when we got on and off the water.....I'll have to keep better track of this in the future for my logs). Either way, the 2012 season greeted us with calm, glassy water and a thick layer of fog. Although these conditions usually produce big numbers for me I was only rewarded with 2 fish. The first spotty came after dropping an xmas oil T&C Swimgrub down a piling.....got bit on the drop. My next fish came after making a long cast in the "highway" between 2 sets of docks. I got bit a few more times in this area but after we already landed a few macs and lizard fish there was no way to know if these strikes were from reluctant spotties or some pest fish. We drifted quite a bit working the docks and eventually made our way to some anchored boats. Not even a strike here, so we kicked around shelter island for quite a while without any more takers. We pulled the tubes and headed over to Spanish Landing, another area I haven't fished before. This area looked "fishy" but with the outgoing tide and a lot of wind the area was very tough to fish. Not even a bite here, but I'll be back......when the conditions are better. All in all, a great day on the water to kick off 2012 although the fish didn't wanna play.

Fast forward 24 hours:

3 Jan 2012- Dana Point Harbor
Tide High @ 0433 AM

Again I was stuck fishing a dropping tide. This being said, any time I can get on the water is good with me regardless of the conditions. I was throwing the xmas oil T&C Swimgrub (a color that has been producing a ton of fish for me lately in all sorts of conditions) on 1/4 of lead. As I'm kicking over to a spot that looks like prime halibut habitat I get hit HARD. I was dragging my bait in front of me as I usually do when kicking from point A to point B. (My philosophy: If your bait ain't in the water you can't catch fish). Well, the fish hit's hard and my rod doubles over....he takes a bunch of line and my heart is pumping. By far one the bigger fish I've hooked up with inshore on bass gear. The fish is on for a solid 15+ seconds and I even get a few cranks on him....and then he's gone. I lookat my bait...no teeth marks at all. I check my hook on my thumbnail....razor sharp. I check my drag.....4 clicks away from being buttoned down all the way (with 8 pound test). I didn't give the fish any slack and did everything "right". I'm still pi$$ed that I lost a big mystery fish but I did everything in my power to capture him....maybe he was barely hooked or was able to shake the hook out of it's mouth. At least I didn't lose him to a bad knot or a dull hook.....

I kick over to this spot I've been dying to fish...and I am completely amazed by the water clarity. I'll be honest....I spent more time looking at the bottom than I did fishing...and even dropped the gopro (on my home made pole mount) to get some video of the structure in this area. At times I saw what looked like the perfect shape of halibut chilling on the bottom...I got some distance and made some casts but no hook ups. Another time I dropped my bait to the bottom just to see the action of the lure in this amazingly clear water and a TINY (4 inch) hali came out of nowhere trying to take my lure. I shoved the gopro under....hopefully I caught some of him on video...I'll check the footage later. That was pretty cool though, it's amazing how well they are at camouflaging themselves with the sand. After an hour or so of casting/looking for underwater structure I decide to call it a day. As I'm kicking in I work a spot that usually produces fish. I land one small spotty, and am so relieved I didn't get skunked. I'm gonna dedicate some of this year to learning DPH, I fish it often but want to learn everything about this body of water that is so close to me yet so mysterious.

In order: First spotty of the year, second spotty of the year, and my DPH skunk buster.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice report green happy

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks....expect some more quality ones too. I plan on adding more detail to my report's this year. That way I can log a ton of different stuff into my logbook (which i plan on keeping all year long). Later on if i want more info for certain dates I can look back here and get the "full" report.

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

way to go bra wish i was there Sad

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

nice fish there

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yea Kona we need to get out there again soon. That trip was a last minute get on the water or else kind of thing....my buddy just got back from Afghaniland so I have to get drunk with him every night (that's all he wants to do). So it's hard to fit fishing in...especially with a hangover.

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

nice tell um welcome back and I'll catch up soon

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Will do!

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice I was in SD over the new year weekend but I did not get a chance to go fish

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wtg, Massfisher...

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Very nice days of fishing indeed. Keep up with the tightline and reports.

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great report mister,
Please thank you, your buddy for his service. And thank God he made it back.

bodfish, Proud descendant of soldiers of the 442

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice start to the year... sorry about the lost fish.... Dana has a reputation on big lost fish.... About 4 years ago i was fishing the rock jetty on foot working a 6" big hammer in jacksmelt pattern when I got absolutely rocked I was fishing 20# mono and leaned back on this fih hard it took a good 50 yard run towards open ocean then spun aeound and headed straight at me but before it could get close enough to see what it was it ran parallel to shore as fast as a wahoo i did my best to run it down over the obstacles called mossy rocks but alas pop went the line and crash went my heart......, my guess white sea bass but who knows....

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Great report Massfisher, i was wondering, what is your set up when your fishing, becuase i dont have any saltwater gear but i want to start up fishing the bays, in a tube. i saw that you wrote the type of lure you were using but, what line, rod, and reel were you using?

thanks
austin

http://www.austinlures.webs.com

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have two saltwater reels that I always use: a Shimano Curado 200e5 and 200e7. I fish the 200e5 with braid because there is virtually no stretch in the line and I have no real need for the extra cranking power. I fish the e7 with either 6lb or 8lb line and with the added stretch of the line (p-line or izorline mono) I feel that the extra cranking power is needed for a good hookset. Also, I fish the 200e7 whenever I'm working docks and pilings....sometimes my rod will literally be in the water under a dock when I'm dropping along a piling...and setting the hook by raising your rod tip is impossible in these conditions...but with the extra cranking power I get with the e7 I can get hook sets by reeling fast and sweeping my rod to the side. Sometimes it's risky using mono near pilings but sometimes lighter line makes a difference...plus I don't like dropping the pilings with braid because every knot out there hangs up in the guides when dropping your lure to the bottom (not necessarily casting).

For rods I have a 7 1/2 foot Powell Max rod heavy action, and some 6'2" Shimano "inshore flats casting rod" that I bought in Australia (don't recall the name now).

I'll look up the specs of the rods later on but I need to get some sleep now (gotta wake up at 0230 for work Mad )

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thats some pricey gear, but it looks like i am going to have to start saving up.
thanks for the reply. maybe we can hook up at a bay some time.

http://www.austinlures.webs.com

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yea it is a bit pricey....but trust me I don't make a lot of money and like everyone else here have a fishing addiction. The addiction combined with poor money management skills means i buy fishing stuff when I should be paying bills and saving money lol.

Id look at a Shimano Citica...its an awesome baitcasting reel overall, and a few guys I know prefer them over the curado's (older Curado's not the new line which isn't as good). Also, i bought mine online and got pretty good deals on them...you just have to look around. Good luck and it would be cool to fish with you someday. Im no expert but I'd be glad to show you some saltwater bass tricks.

T&C Lures

T&C Lures
FTFF Gathering Officer

Very cool Brian! Glad to hear your are gonna stay dedicated to the logs, you wont be sorry.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum