FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Today at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Today at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Today at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fishing Buddy strap on holder NO GOOD !!!

+4
Docrunner
monkeee2002
Vagabond
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

TOJIACK FLOATMAN

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Bought a Hummingbird fishing buddy awhile back for my little aluminum puddle jumper and thought I would get the new float tube strap mount for it . Liked my strap on rod holders so this should be good too , RIGHT ??? WRONG !!! As it turms out the transducer wand is semi bouyant and wants to try to lay out flat so it twists on the strap something awful front to rear. Team this up with the cradleing cup is made with a large tapered hole through it and does not secure the unit at all nor does it support the transducer rod so it just flops around inside of the cup. REALLY ??? Whoever designed this one failed transducer operation 101-A BIG TIME !!! There is no way for this to get even a bottom lock for depth let alone any target aquisition. DO NOT BUY !!!

*** UNIT I BOUGHT IS A CABELAS IN HOUSE MODEL AND MAY BE DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE OFFERED BY HUMMINGBIRD *****

****** UPDATE AFTER REVIEW THE CABELAS MODEL ONLY IS THE BOGUS PRODUCT,,, HUMMING BIRD BFT-1 IS GOOD TO GO *****

Last edited by TOJIACK FLOATMAN on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:46 am; edited 2 times in total

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I had that same problem with mine but after I kind of moved the fishing buddy up and down a few times and got some water up into the wand it was ok. But I have an old school version before hummingbird made them.

TOJIACK FLOATMAN

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Vagabond,

I suppose I could try to immerse the wand in the water first and shake it up some. Was not aware it allowed water inside as never saw it drain out when took it off the metal boat. Still have the issue with it flopping VERY loosley in the cradle. Did you find a trick for that one ? I have seen a post here where one member added a special mount to his add on pvc exo skeletin multi-purpose rack to fix the issue.

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I bought a fishin Buddy140 & that same mount this spring. I haven't had any issues that you're describing, though.
Kinda odd...

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Not sure which mount you have some are just like a padded fabric sleeve that the fish finder slips through and some are a like hard tapered plastic donut the fish finder drops into. If it's the fabric one sorry no I have no answers for you, if it's the hard plastic type my friend had some luck putting velcro around where the finder and where it sits in the donut to keep it from spinning and rocking.

My fish finder is old but it telescopes to adjust for different boat heights and that is where the water fills up the tube/wand, I actually drilled a small hole in the tube just to get the water out faster when I am done at the end of the day. The newer ones might be water tight and not liek my old model.

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

TOJIACK FLOATMAN wrote:Bought a Hummingbird fishing buddy awhile back for my little aluminum puddle jumper and thought I would get the new float tube strap mount for it . Liked my strap on rod holders so this should be good too , RIGHT ??? WRONG !!! As it turms out the transducer wand is semi bouyant and wants to try to lay out flat so it twists on the strap something awful front to rear. Team this up with the cradleing cup is made with a large tapered hole through it and does not secure the unit at all nor does it support the transducer rod so it just flops around inside of the cup. REALLY ??? Whoever designed this one failed transducer operation 101-A BIG TIME !!! There is no way for this to get even a bottom lock for depth let alone any target aquisition. DO NOT BUY !!!

that's odd.. i have the 120 (b/w dual-beam), and I just use a large PVC T-piece. I don't even use the tapered cradle cup that comes with it. Mine rests inside the T nicely, and sinks down completely and hangs straight down. Not buoyant at all. Mine does not telescope to adjust the length. It does tilt just slightly within the T, but only while I'm kicking, but then I just straighten it, and it stays pointed straight down. I easily rotate it within the T to use the side-fire sonar. I haven't had any issues with my PVC setup. Maybe post up a pic of your holder? Good luck..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I sure would like to hear more about the Fishin Buddy strap on mount because I'm saving up for a model 120 and I was planning on buying the strap on tube mount also. I haven't glued my rack I'm building yet and I think I'll wait to see if I need to modify it to accomidate the Fishing Buddy also. I was going to order the FB 120 and the tube mount in the next week or ten days. Anyone know if the current model mount is a keeper or a lemon??? Thanks in advance to anyone who has bought a new one recently and can answer this!! (the tube I'll be mounting it on is an ODC420)
PS What diameter is that PVC T you just posted?

TOJIACK FLOATMAN

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

VAGABOND,

Mine is the fabric covered one with some sort of a thin hard core. Havent seen any others that are marketed so far just posts to make your own from pvc fittings,,,

DOCRUNNER>

Mine is a 110 bought maybe 6 months ago that came with a removeable clamp on transom mount. Maybe your upgraded model has more accessories ???

Last edited by TOJIACK FLOATMAN on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total

9Fishing Buddy strap on holder NO GOOD  !!! Empty Re: Fishing Buddy Holder No Good??? Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 pm

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks for the reply. I have been to the hummingbird site and they sell the same holder
for the 110 through the 140c if memory serves
me correctly, and it appears to be fabric like you describe yours. The hard shell ones must be
and older model. I'm kind of on the fence now,
I could save about 48 bucks if I just add a T to
my unglued rack...but I kind of wanted to go the strap on route for security and not to weigh
down my rack much more. (I have a six slot rod holder,a GPS mount, a night light, and a video
camera mount that I am afraid is going to get
"shakey" if I add the Fishing Buddy??? Oh, well,
I'm going to think it over. I just freaked when
the other guy said the strap on was worthless.
ZZZZZZZ I can't even type I'm so tired!!LOL

TOJIACK FLOATMAN

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Just saw a pic of the 140c mounted on another members tube with something totally different than the BF1 accessory strap on mount. It is rigid and looks to be all Hummingbird hardware. I sent him a PM to let me know more about this one. I will share the findings on this thread if he responds.

11Fishing Buddy strap on holder NO GOOD  !!! Empty re: Fishing Buddy strap holder no good!! Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:01 am

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Good Morning all:
Ya, thanks Tojiack if you can get that information on the rigid
set-up. And thanks Docrunner for that picture but I would still
like to know the size of that PVC T you used...if you get a chance
post it or PM me. I see this is what this forum is all about, tube
enthusiasts (pardon my poor spelling?) sharing information with
other enthusiasts. I'm so glad I found this forum!! By the way,
does anyone recall any members in my neck of the woods? (Iowa)
I usually fish alone (by choice) but sharing my favorite ponds
and pits and learning a few more might just be interesting and
fun.

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

TOJIACK FLOATMAN wrote:

DOCRUNNER>

Mine is a 110 bought maybe 6 months ago that came with a removeable clamp on transom mount. Maybe your upgraded model has more accessories ???

blues4bill wrote:Good Morning all:
Ya, thanks Tojiack if you can get that information on the rigid
set-up. And thanks Docrunner for that picture but I would still
like to know the size of that PVC T you used...if you get a chance
post it or PM me. I see this is what this forum is all about, tube
enthusiasts (pardon my poor spelling?) sharing information with
other enthusiasts. I'm so glad I found this forum!! By the way,
does anyone recall any members in my neck of the woods? (Iowa)
I usually fish alone (by choice) but sharing my favorite ponds
and pits and learning a few more might just be interesting and
fun.

Wasn't sure.. but knew it was a pretty big T fitting. I thought 3" but turns out it looks like 2 3/4"

Mine comes with that same C-clamp transom mount (useless on float tube), and the tapered collar cup that the fishing buddy rests in. I have a 1/2' PVC frame, so it was kind of easy for me to just add the PVC T piece with a reducer, and union joint so I can take it on and off, swing the arm in and out, and adjust the angle, if I want to just use the T for a rod holder instead. Works for me.. but like all these PVC projects, you think of things you would have done differently (or will do differently in the next version). Good luck, and post up pics of your set-up and configuration. It'll help people give you better feedback. -Jay

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I actually glue a fitting to mine and it slides to my rode holder and it sits just fine. When i get home i will post a picture

14Fishing Buddy strap on holder NO GOOD  !!! Empty re: Fishing Buddy strap holder no good?? Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Ok..sorry it took so long to get back to you with your requested picture but....I had a bunch of running around to do today in this
90 degree 85% humidity crappy day, anyway I just got home and snapped a pic of what I have so far. Doesn't look too nice as of
yet and nothing is glued or painted until my tube arrives tommorrow
(hopefully). I haven't even seen the dang thing yet so I'm building
this by looking at pictures. I don't even know what color to paint it because I don't know what color my )DC 420 really is!!?? Oh darn,
I'm trying to upload the picture and I haven't used this function yet...something isn't right.For one thing it says max size is 0Mb??
I tried submit query also...whatever that means?
Ohwell
I

Last edited by blues4bill on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't get picture posted??X##X)

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

blues4bill wrote:Ok..sorry it took so long to get back to you with your requested picture but....I had a bunch of running around to do today in this
90 degree 85% humidity crappy day, anyway I just got home and snapped a pic of what I have so far. Doesn't look too nice as of
yet and nothing is glued or painted until my tube arrives tommorrow
(hopefully). I haven't even seen the dang thing yet so I'm building
this by looking at pictures. I don't even know what color to paint it because I don't know what color my )DC 420 really is!!?? Oh darn,
I'm trying to upload the picture and I haven't used this function yet...something isn't right.For one thing it says max size is 0Mb??
I tried submit query also...whatever that means?
Ohwell
I

you might need to have a minimum number of posts before you can upload pics. I'm not sure, but I've seen that on some forums. You can email the pic or the link to me, and I'll post it for you.. if you want.
-Jay
fishninjay (AT) gmail

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

TOJIACK FLOATMAN wrote:VAGABOND,

Mine is the fabric covered one with some sort of a thin hard core. Havent seen any others that are marketed so far just posts to make your own from pvc fittings,,,

It's a thin PVC tube with fabric sleeve/cover sewn around it and a single mounting strap. They should have sewn the strap down the length of the tube instead of just a small spot to give it stability. I had problems with it moving around on me also, especially while kicking.

The main issue I had was the mounting strap rotating on the tube and the finder wanting to get submerged. I ended up putting a few small thin patches of GOOP every 4 inches about a 1.5-2" square of GOOP to give the strap a bit of traction or rubbery surface so it wouldn't spin around the tube.

Ever find out why your transducer tube wanted to stay afloat?

17Fishing Buddy strap on holder NO GOOD  !!! Empty re:Fishing Buddy Strap on mount no good??? Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 pm

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks FishinJay,
Like I said, it isn't to pretty yet but I have my ideas pretty
much figured out. I just need my tube to arrive so I can tweak
it to fit the real thing. I want to carry two spinning rods and
one fly rod,flip cam,GPS,repurposed bicycle light, and since I
found where to get the Hummingbird Strap on Mount for $28.00 I'm
going to play it safe and use that for my future Fishin Buddy 120.
I wonder if anyone here has loaded Lakemasters lakes software
onto and older Garmin Nuvi 205w or any Garmin device with success?
I figure that would be a great way to get some use out of my Nuvi
that's been in mothballs for a few years. I mean...the lakes should
still be the same unlike the roadmaps that need updated every year
or two. Lakemasters software looks pretty nice with depth charts
etc. and my old Nuvi can store waypoints and hotspots to within a few
meters. I should probably start a thread about this stuff....Still
learning the Forum ropes so-to speak...(Can I even start threads??)
I wish these things were covered up in the FAQ section or somewhere
so new guys don't stumble around blind!! I was born in the dark but it wasn't YESTERDAY!!! LOL

Watertooner

Watertooner
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

When I was looking for a good way to mount my FB 140C, I don't recall anyone who was particularly happy with the fabric style mounting systems or the clamp mount that comes with the FBs - I read through lots and lots of forums and message boards. The happiest people were those who figured out something more rigid with PVC or, in my case, with wood. Here's a pic of my FB mount. It's bolted to the footrest on my toon and uses the cup from the clamp mount. It works very well. No wiggles, no surprise launches out of the cup, no twisting.

19Fishing Buddy strap on holder NO GOOD  !!! Empty re:Fishing Buddy strap mount no good?? Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 pm

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Well, thanks for the heads up Watertooner. I was really trying to keep
my gear on my left side as I'm a right handed caster and as soon as
Docrunner gets my pic posted I sent him (off-board) you will see
that my rack design (3/4 in. sch 40) might be a little light to
add a FB 120 to. When my tube gets here (Fed Ex teracking still says
tomorrow) I will be able to sit in it and see if I am interested in
another smaller but bigger diameter (stronger)rig on the right side.
I was thinking I could maybe tweak the bugs out of the factory strap
on to the point I would be satisfied...I don't know..just thinkin
out loud here...Anyway...thanks for the input cause you already have
the FBuddy and know what it weighs and need for support. I just won't have as many options on a float tube as you do on a toon.
(Looks nice by the way!!) Thanks again...I'm gonna sleep on it!

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

blues4bill wrote:Well, thanks for the heads up Watertooner. I was really trying to keep
my gear on my left side as I'm a right handed caster and as soon as
Docrunner gets my pic posted I sent him (off-board) you will see
that my rack design (3/4 in. sch 40) might be a little light to
add a FB 120 to. When my tube gets here (Fed Ex teracking still says
tomorrow) I will be able to sit in it and see if I am interested in
another smaller but bigger diameter (stronger)rig on the right side.
I was thinking I could maybe tweak the bugs out of the factory strap
on to the point I would be satisfied...I don't know..just thinkin
out loud here...Anyway...thanks for the input cause you already have
the FBuddy and know what it weighs and need for support. I just won't have as many options on a float tube as you do on a toon.
(Looks nice by the way!!) Thanks again...I'm gonna sleep on it!

I know what you mean. My frame is a wrap-around, so it's rigid, but still has a lot more flex than I'd like, because I used HALF-INCH PVC.. affraid

But I have the rigidity of the wrap around joints. I have pics somewhere on here. By the way, I still haven't gotten your pic. Did you send to correct email? It is: fishNINjay (AT) gmail (DOT) com

My FB120 sits fine in the large PVC T-piece. I had to use a reducer bushing and a union joint, but seems pretty stable, despite the weight. It does shift and wobble a bit only while I'm kicking. The sidefire sonar still seems to meter fish, even while I'm kicking.

21Fishing Buddy strap on holder NO GOOD  !!! Empty re:Fishing Buddy strap no good?? Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:49 pm

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Hope you got my second try Docrunner! I'm laughing mao thinking
someone got the first try and is scratching thier head sayin'
what the heck is that?? (I didn't get a mailer demon undeliverable
so somebody got it!!) I must have ommited an N or something.
Thanks again for the assist!

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

got it Bill.. here's blues4bill's set-up for his yet-to-arrive float tube!

so.. if I'm reading your pic correctly, it's kind of like a rod tray? that will be flat on the water?
What are those brown slot things? I see one in the background also. Any close-up pics of it? And details on it? Looks interesting..
hmm.. I see your concern about the weight of the FB120. You may have some side sway with the weight of your fishin' buddy. And your tray in general? I think the website where I got my wrap-around frame design mentioned that one of the benefits of the wrap around, is that there was less sway and movement with the water, and with a camera mount on the frame itself, the picture would be very stable. This was true, however, for some reason, my frame had a little flex, so there was this really annoying creaking noise that would transmit through the frame and onto my video. So, I usually just keep my GoPro on my hat. I don't know.. just try it out, and change what doesn't work later!

Here's where I got the details of my PVC build:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I didn't take exact measurements, as I adjusted this for my Cumberland. I just eyeball adjusted and tinkered with it.

Here are a few pics of my set-up..

This rear corner, I had a vertical piece of 1/2" PVC to a GoPro over my right shoulder looking down and forward. It was stable, but had the annoying noise.
You can see the stability of the video, but the noise at the beginning of this video (my first.. lol..).

Later, you see a left-front-looking-back video, at around 03:14 it switches to my front camera. I've pretty much abandoned this fancy double-camera stuff.. too much hassle. The 1 hat cam seems to work ok, and isn't too annoying with my head wobble. Try yours out, and post up a video. Everyone here has great ideas, but in particular, I think Ed5000 has a keen mind for these type of mods. You should pick his brain.

Ok, good luck..
-Jay

TOJIACK FLOATMAN

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

HEY MONKEEE2002

Is your strap on mount the Hummingbird BFT-1 ? Mine is one purchased from Cabelas with their logo patch sewn on the side. If yours is the Hummingbird mount could you measure the inside of the top of the cradle cup ? Bet it is wider than mine. My 110 sets "MAYBE" 1/4 inch into the tapered portion of the cup which is appx. 4 inches deep and then goes straight for another appx. 5 inches long. Curious if Cabelas botched the clone I bought and the Hummingbird mount may still work.

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

TOJIACK FLOATMAN wrote:HEY MONKEEE2002

Is your strap on mount the Hummingbird BFT-1 ? Mine is one purchased from Cabelas with their logo patch sewn on the side. If yours is the Hummingbird mount could you measure the inside of the top of the cradle cup ? Bet it is wider than mine. My 110 sets "MAYBE" 1/4 inch into the tapered portion of the cup which is appx. 4 inches deep and then goes straight for another appx. 5 inches long. Curious if Cabelas botched the clone I bought and the Hummingbird mount may still work.

I bought mine on Amazon([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]).. The logo is some sort of sticker, maybe silkscreen. Top Inside diameter looks to be 2-3/4", MAYBE 2-7/8" when the fabric gets squished by the fishfinder.

I hope this helps. Having stuff fit all wrong is annoying!

TOJIACK FLOATMAN

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

************ MYSTERY SOLVED GUYS ************

THANKS MONKEEE2002 !!!

Sure enough when I measurd my Cabelas version of the strap on holder for the Fishing Buddy finders the rim measured only 2 3/8 inches inside diameter at the top of the cradle cup vs. the nearly 2 7/8 inch measurement on the Hummingbird BFT-1 model that MONKEEE2002 was kind enough to display for me. Of note as well the angle of the cradleing cup on the Hummingbird model actually matches the housing on the Fishing Buddy finders and the one from Cabelas doesnt even come close. I will edit the original thread post to reflect this. Dont want to slam Hummingbirds product, just Cabelas.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum