FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tubers Please Don't...

+8
Fisher
Konacrush
.:LOLLY:.
Aquaholic38
motorazr
ed5000x
bassfishing24/7
kg562
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tubers Please Don't... Empty Tubers Please Don't... Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:24 am

Hey ya'll. I know I have been away from the boards for some time now. I just wanted to give everyone that do not know about White Sea Bass a note. WSB are far and few between and are called the "White Ghost". They are a prized angler fair and for good reason. They are almost on the endangered list. Juvenile WSB are in the harbors. When we tube, sometimes we will hook a young WSB. Please take note. Juvenile WSB are very fragile. At a legal length of 28 inches, they are for the keep. WSB do not catch and release with a high percentage of survival. When you do hook one on your fishing trip, please do not touch the fish at all if you can avoid it. Do not use any lip grabber, towel, etc. When the slime coat on a WSB is disturbed, it is likely they will develop an infection and not survive. I know not all of us really give a rats butt about some conservation areas. Please do your home work if you are anglers. It is your responsibility to identify the species. If you care about your bait and want to save a hook, then enough said lol. If you hook a short WSB, best to cut the line as close to the hook as possible. This is our fishery and preservation is key to our future in angling. Thanks everyone for reading.

2Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

thanks for the info.

3Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:40 pm

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good info,I will keep it in mind when I hook up a wsb!

4Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:37 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good looking out LC

5Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:40 pm

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The adult fish looks very much like our Mulloway or jewfish here in Aus. In south australia quite plentiful in the coorong and murray mouth.

6Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:44 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

cut the line and leave the hook on its mouth? wont it rust and infect the fish too?
BTW. here`s a note i learned from the cabrillo marine institute retired biologist Jimmy C. "White sea bass is not a bass, is a croacker, it was named sea bass for marketing purposes...who would want to pay top dollar for a croacker?"

7Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:48 am

Aquaholic38 wrote:cut the line and leave the hook on its mouth? wont it rust and infect the fish too?
BTW. here`s a note i learned from the cabrillo marine institute retired biologist Jimmy C. "White sea bass is not a bass, is a croacker, it was named sea bass for marketing purposes...who would want to pay top dollar for a croacker?"

Yes it is a Croaker. The hook will rust out. All the hooks now are made to do so. The hook in the mouth is usually not what can hurt the fish. It is when their slime coat is disturbed. Lip grippers in the mouth, and the ordeal with photos etc are the reasons why they may not survive.

8Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:08 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lagunaCOCONUT wrote:
Aquaholic38 wrote:cut the line and leave the hook on its mouth? wont it rust and infect the fish too?

Yes it is a Croaker. The hook will rust out. All the hooks now are made to do so. The hook in the mouth is usually not what can hurt the fish. It is when their slime coat is disturbed. Lip grippers in the mouth, and the ordeal with photos etc are the reasons why they may not survive.
I wonder how long will it take to rust out? ...Do i smell myth busters here? lol Im doing the experiment! im puting a hook un a glass of water by the window. will that compare to the situation the hook on the fish is exposed to? study

9Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

don't forget to add salt to your cup LOL

10Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:37 am

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
.:LOLLY:. wrote:don't forget to add salt to your cup LOL

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

11Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Konacrush wrote: lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
.:LOLLY:. wrote:don't forget to add salt to your cup LOL
good point Lolly! i`ll make 2 salt and fresh! I`ll keep the forum posted Thumbs Up

12Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:15 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

thx for the info and nice aqua ill be waitin

13Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:33 am

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Aquaholic38 wrote:
lagunaCOCONUT wrote:

I wonder how long will it take to rust out? ...Do i smell myth busters here? lol Im doing the experiment! im puting a hook un a glass of water by the window. will that compare to the situation the hook on the fish is exposed to? study

that will be a good experiment! I wonder long it takes. lol!

14Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I caught my first WSB off the tube at Dana Point. I had my GoPro, so I didn't waste too much time with taking a pic, but I did unhook the fish. I didn't realize their slime layer was so delicate. I'll just cut my line next time!

BTW.. yes.. the hooks will rust. Even the costly Owner hooks will rust away. Better than struggling and ripping it out of a gut-hooked fish and bleeding it out. Also, Waxon told me that the Gulp products.. are edible for fish, so those are safe for fish to eat also (vs plastics).

Thanks for the educational post. Thumbs Up

15Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Slime is critical on most fish, including LMB's. Laying them on the ground, or a dock removes some of that slime, which makes the fish prone to infections, like parasites, ect. So I would ask that you don't lay your bass, gills ect. on the ground, or drag them through the mud, ect when you land them, they are so easy to lip. Also the best thing to do is, wet your fingers before lipping them, and yes, even lipping removes a bit of slime.

16Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Docrunner wrote:I caught my first WSB off the tube at Dana Point. I had my GoPro, so I didn't waste too much time with taking a pic, but I did unhook the fish. I didn't realize their slime layer was so delicate. I'll just cut my line next time!

BTW.. yes.. the hooks will rust. Even the costly Owner hooks will rust away. Better than struggling and ripping it out of a gut-hooked fish and bleeding it out. Also, Waxon told me that the Gulp products.. are edible for fish, so those are safe for fish to eat also (vs plastics).

Thanks for the educational post. Thumbs Up

Thanks for the reply! YES when you gut hook a fish, no matter what species, there is no catch and release if you try and retrieve your hook. If you are fishing for fun and CPR the fish, all gut hooked fish needs the line to be cut. Even lead heads with swimbaits. The hooks will rust out for sure. If you force the bait/hook out and the fish bleeds... you know the out come.

17Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:04 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LC i sure miss all your Knowledge man Welcome back

18Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Lok Dog

Lok Dog
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

But this pro who's sponsored by seeker is showing how its done,..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

https://www.facebook.com/lokey.rincon

19Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:06 pm

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Lok Dog wrote:But this pro who's sponsored by seeker is showing how its done,..

lol!

20Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 am

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

kg562 wrote:

lol!
X2

21Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUAHAHAHAHAHHAH lol!

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

22Tubers Please Don't... Empty Re: Tubers Please Don't... Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 pm

bassmeister

FTFF Gathering Officer

Man I just spit up laughing at the Q-Tip hair-do  lol!  lol!  lol! 

bassfishing24/7 wrote:
kg562 wrote:

lol!
X2

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum