FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tubes - what type of weather conditions do you use them in.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well, as a very inexperienced newby, I found my maiden voyage the other day was a steep learning curve.

If I had not tied a rope to the FT and then to the shore, due to some pretty hefty wind, I would have found myself in the middle of a very large, but albiet, shallow lake, heading at speed for the opposite shore line. Pretty good if I had wanted to trawl but no good for a peaceful bit of fishing. The opposite shore line was on the horizon.

Still to master the art of finning sideways to turn the FT, I can power along in a straight line pretty well if I say so myself.
What type of areas do you guys prefer, sheltered quays or more open water? and what techniques do you use to stay in position in open water or for that matter handling unexpected wind gusts?

I have a 3/4lb kiak grapple anchor but just how effective are they at holding you in place other than a sandy bottom?

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wind and current r the most important factors when it comes to tubing.the best time to go out is usually early morning when the water is calm and its not windy.
I myself have only been tubing for a couple of months and still learning how to keep a steady position.im sure the other more experienced guys will add some input in this subject.

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

motorazr wrote:Well, as a very inexperienced newby, I found my maiden voyage the other day was a steep learning curve.

If I had not tied a rope to the FT and then to the shore, due to some pretty hefty wind, I would have found myself in the middle of a very large, but albiet, shallow lake, heading at speed for the opposite shore line. Pretty good if I had wanted to trawl but no good for a peaceful bit of fishing. The opposite shore line was on the horizon.

Still to master the art of finning sideways to turn the FT, I can power along in a straight line pretty well if I say so myself.
What type of areas do you guys prefer, sheltered quays or more open water? and what techniques do you use to stay in position in open water or for that matter handling unexpected wind gusts?

I have a 3/4lb kiak grapple anchor but just how effective are they at holding you in place other than a sandy bottom?

glad you survived the maiden voyage. sounds like it was a rough one. never heard of anyone tying a landline to the tube.

how large is this lake?

since you're just starting out, i recommend avoiding the winds if possible.

during windy days i use my legs to keep me in position or launch from one side of the land and use the wind to my advantage. never used an anchor before.

i would be scared to tube the waters of Australia with all those fish with nasty sharp teeth. black eye

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

motorazr wrote:Well, as a very inexperienced newby, I found my maiden voyage the other day was a steep learning curve.

I'm pretty new to the tube as well. I found the first 3 or so trips were quite a learning experience. By then you'll have most of it figured out though!

When the wind is up, I usually try to launch in a spot that will have the wind pushing me back to my Jeep. That way if I get exhausted, I can relax and let mother nature take me home (providing the wind doesn't change too much!)
Some people use a drift anchor. I don't use any anchor. Around here we have calm, breezy, and 30+mph winds. Never anything in between lol!

motorazr wrote:

I had a tough time with the turning thing too. I found that if I "lean" a bit, I can fin sideways, and it turns me pretty easy. A couple times out, and you'll figure out what works best for you.

What tube do you have? What fins?
Do you often fish a big lake? If so, you might want to check out some of the longer fins, to give you more range with less effort.

Love your profile pic, BTW! Thumbs Up

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

LOL. Yeh I was a bit of a woos tying the tube to the shoreline but my mate is an old woman, and for peace in our times it was better to shut him up than to have to live with "I told you so" the rest of the trip. We had a bit of a laugh as I told him that if the wind took me I would ring him on my mobile and he could pack the site up and drive around the Lake in half an hour to get me.

The lake is 16 miles around the perimeter and covers 3608 acres, what amazed me was the depth of the lake as shown on the FF as only 1.2 metres I imagine the deepest section would only be about 6 feet deep.

The largest predators in there are eels which swim up from the ocean via feeder streams, never seen one though.

I recently purchased a Cumberland FT. GO Team Cumberland! and find it very comfortable however I find that I tend to lean back further in it as time goes on as the seat back seems to bend due to my weight, don't know how to fix this as the side straps at the moment are set to have the back at less than 90degrees to the seat if you know what I mean.

I have a set of very long split fins that I found to be exceptionally easy to paddle with, Tusa xpertzoom z3's.
I considered launching on the other side of the lake and then if anything had happened I would have been pushed to shore but the white caps on the lake were off putting and it would have been a bit like wave surfing. I suppose horses for courses but i had envisaged using the tube on calm water usually in the early morning.
I think with this trip under my belt it can only get better.
cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum