FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Pablosparky Today at 10:11 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Pablosparky Today at 9:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Today at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bait caster for the beginner

+8
.:LOLLY:.
Misfit_Angler138
kg562
Tubinferbass
Tubetoad
Fisher
Chomps
bigmouthbasshole
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Bait caster for the beginner Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 pm

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I am in the market for a bait casting rod and reel set. I have only used an old shimono a handful of times and gave up because it would birds nest on every cast!!! After reading about some of the benefits of this type of rod/reel, I figure its time to try again and even invest in a new set up. Any recommendations? Think user friendly please, I'm kinda slow!!!

2Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I haven't came across a user friendly bait casting reel yet I think you just have to keep practicing and practicing getting your thumb involved helps also.tuning and setting the brakes correctly will also help minimizing bird nest also

3Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

yep u cant just pick those up and cast it bait casters take a while to get used to and its harder to learn in a tube go to wally world and get the black max by abu garcia i just got that and its a nice reel for the money and if u dont like it u can always take it back thats the good thing about wally world

4Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

and get a good med hvy to hvy 7ft or longer i dont really like anything smaller then 7ft

5Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Tubetoad

Tubetoad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Shimano canen. 6'8 med heavy Shimano convergence.

6Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I started out with a bps rod n reel combo Bill Dance series for 60 bucks... For the money there pretty damn good and pretty easy to use. Some thin that might help is put the back lash dial to max setting and then tightin spool knob to max reel up your lure click bail over and slowly back off tension on spool knob till your lure free falls. You wont cast as far at first but deff helps stop back lash.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

7Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 am

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Tubinferbass wrote:I started out with a bps rod n reel combo Bill Dance series for 60 bucks... For the money there pretty damn good and pretty easy to use. Some thin that might help is put the back lash dial to max setting and then tightin spool knob to max reel up your lure click bail over and slowly back off tension on spool knob till your lure free falls. You wont cast as far at first but deff helps stop back lash.

x2, tighten the spool knob to the max and as you practice you can just loosen it up slowly. thats how i learn it somewhat.

8Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 am

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ya they take a lot of practice...just tune the brakes right and practice

9Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 am

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Woke up this morning and guess what was waiting for me on the kitchen table! My wife was one step ahead of me as always and got me this for my b-day! I am so lucky to have a wife who supports my addiction. Wait a minute, I wonder if she cyber-hacked my account to find out what I wanted? scary thought,,,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

10Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:59 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

NICE!

11Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:22 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice reel! Now put that bad boy on this rod... Twisted Evil

$120 takes it!

12Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:32 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

nice reel

13Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 pm

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I am interested Wiseguy!! That is one sick stick and from everything I hear your work is QUALITY! If I decide to get it, one of my issues is going to be that I live all the way out in Indio!!! I know what your thinking (what has to go wrong in a persons life to end up an 8th grade teacher in Indio?) ill tell you all about it over a beer sometime!!! Just kidding

A rod is not something I would never buy without holding between my fingers first!

With that said, I would love to tube saltwater sometime as I have never done this before. Maybe we could meet up at an event and i could tag along or even plan a trip! We could kill 2 birds with one stone that way.

Let me know what your thoughts

14Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:26 pm

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bigmouthbasshole wrote:Woke up this morning and guess what was waiting for me on the kitchen table! My wife was one step ahead of me as always and got me this for my b-day! I am so lucky to have a wife who supports my addiction. Wait a minute, I wonder if she cyber-hacked my account to find out what I wanted? scary thought,,,

nice reel, good start!

15Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bigmouthbasshole wrote:I am interested Wiseguy!! That is one sick stick and from everything I hear your work is QUALITY! If I decide to get it, one of my issues is going to be that I live all the way out in Indio!!! I know what your thinking (what has to go wrong in a persons life to end up an 8th grade teacher in Indio?) ill tell you all about it over a beer sometime!!! Just kidding

A rod is not something I would never buy without holding between my fingers first!

With that said, I would love to tube saltwater sometime as I have never done this before. Maybe we could meet up at an event and i could tag along or even plan a trip! We could kill 2 birds with one stone that way.

Let me know what your thoughts

Where do you work? Im in the OC (Santa Ana) monday thru friday and could possibly meet up? Otherwise if your singed up to fish the next gathering, I'll be there!

16Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:06 am

hombre_jaguar

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I'm in the market for a beginner baitcaster too. I saw an "Evercast Horizon 6.2:1" that goes for $99 on clearance for $50 at sport chalet. I would've picked it up but I can's seem to find any reviews on it. Haven't heard of Evercast as being a good reel company either. my 2c.

17Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Go old school Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dear bigmouth,

This is coming from a guy who learned to throw a baitcasting reel by starting with a Pflueger reel spooled with 15 # test dacron line and a South Bend steel rod. Trust me when I say this, if you want to learn to use a baitcaster you need to learn from the very beginning.

You can find a good usable baitcasting reel at a garage sale or flea market or even a pawn shop and you won't spend more than $ 15.00 to $ 25.00 on it. You might have a neighbor or friend that will give you one if you ask nice.

Take it home and sit down and slowly take it apart and clean it up really good. Don't worry about rebuilding drags or taking sub-assemblies apart. Just pull the cover plates and clean everything with denatured alcohol or WD-40. Get all the old grease and crud out first. Re-assemble it and lube it with Penn or Abu reel oil and you'll be fine.

Re-spool the reel with cheap 10 to 12 pound test mono and mount it on a rod. Get yourself a couple of those old rubber practice plugs, set up a trash can lid or some other sort of target in the yard and give it a try.

Yes you will get tangles and bird's nests, yes you will curse and stomp your feet, but if you stick with it in a couple of sessions you'll figure it all out and you'll be proud of yourself for accomplishing something.

Then all you have to do is put some quality line on the reel and go fishing.

Regards,

Tim Murphy Very Happy

18Bait caster for the beginner  Empty Re: Bait caster for the beginner Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:05 pm

FishinPhil

FishinPhil
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hombre_Jaguar,
The Shimano Citica 200 E Series is built upon the same platform as the Curado E Series which means a lower profile, reduced weight and compact size. There is a thrust bearing on the right side by the handle. You adjust that one first so whatever the weight of the lure, it will drop down slowly when the reel is disengaged. You can probably watch a video on you tube on how to do this. Then you open the side casing with the quick release and adjust the brakes. I usually start out with all of the brakes on and then take one off at a time until it casts with no backlash. A 7 foot 6 inch casting rod makes a nice compliment to this reel. I got my rod from Wiseguy and I am very happy with it. Read the reviews on this reel. You will not have to worry about birds nest anymore. I use the Citica and it is one tough little reel.

You will be happy you bought this one. It has a varialbe(adjustable)braking system to prevent birds nests.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum