FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reel to reel?

4 posters

How long do you keep line on your reels before changing?

Reel to reel? Vote_lcap210%Reel to reel? Vote_rcap 10% [ 1 ]
Reel to reel? Vote_lcap20%Reel to reel? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Reel to reel? Vote_lcap220%Reel to reel? Vote_rcap 20% [ 2 ]
Reel to reel? Vote_lcap240%Reel to reel? Vote_rcap 40% [ 4 ]
Reel to reel? Vote_lcap230%Reel to reel? Vote_rcap 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Reel to reel? Empty Reel to reel? Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:42 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

If you loaded your baitcaster with line and fished it a few times...then decided you want different line on that reel, is there any harm in removing the existing line and spooling it to another reel? Keep in mind this line is fluro, only about 2 weeks old and fished maybe 5 times. study

2Reel to reel? Empty Re: Reel to reel? Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 am

waxon67 wrote:If you loaded your baitcaster with line and fished it a few times...then decided you want different line on that reel, is there any harm in removing the existing line and spooling it to another reel? Keep in mind this line is fluro, only about 2 weeks old and fished maybe 5 times. study

I would say that is am okay thing to do. Keep in mind that the line once at the bottom of your spool will now be on the top of your spool. I have tried that before and it sure is coiled. Unless you transfer the line to a large receiver reel then wind it back on to your desired reel. I honestly have had line on a few of my baitcast reels for up to 2 years and still fished just fine. I keep my reels clean and before I store the reel, I spray on a spray called Real Magic. I coat the line. Then I store the reels in a soft bag or back in it's original box and keep it in a nice cool climate controlled area. As long as the line is not in a super hot garage, they should keep just fine. I recently just fished with 6lb Fluoro at the SFD event and that Fluoro is like 2 plus years old. Casts just fine and still is just about 100% of it's breaking strength that I can tell.

I also use a lot of backing now. On just about all my reels, except the shallow spool reels, I will put backing of 15lb Power Pro. Then I wind on a top shot of Fluoro or Mono. The Power Pro never goes bad. This way I never need to fill up an entire spool with mono or fluoro.

LC

3Reel to reel? Empty Re: Reel to reel? Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:15 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lagunaCOCONUT wrote:
I would say that is am okay thing to do. Keep in mind that the line once at the bottom of your spool will now be on the top of your spool. I have tried that before and it sure is coiled. Unless you transfer the line to a large receiver reel then wind it back on to your desired reel. I honestly have had line on a few of my baitcast reels for up to 2 years and still fished just fine. I keep my reels clean and before I store the reel, I spray on a spray called Real Magic. I coat the line. Then I store the reels in a soft bag or back in it's original box and keep it in a nice cool climate controlled area. As long as the line is not in a super hot garage, they should keep just fine. I recently just fished with 6lb Fluoro at the SFD event and that Fluoro is like 2 plus years old. Casts just fine and still is just about 100% of it's breaking strength that I can tell.

I also use a lot of backing now. On just about all my reels, except the shallow spool reels, I will put backing of 15lb Power Pro. Then I wind on a top shot of Fluoro or Mono. The Power Pro never goes bad. This way I never need to fill up an entire spool with mono or fluoro.

LC

I agree with LC 100%. Flouro will almost never go bad anyways. It keeps better than mono. I re-spool when i use up all the line retying. With the price of flouro i would definitely save it Wax. The flouro should have too much memory so the coils should not be so bad. If u worry, you can tie one end to a tree and reel it all out and give it a little stretch. That should take care of all the coils on Flouro. Shouldn't take much.
I use a co-colymer backing cause it's cheap, but only use like 10-20yrd. This allows me to re-tie to the backing every time instead of to the spool. This also allows me to use every bit of the flouro and not waste the 5-10yrds at the end of the spool before retying.

4Reel to reel? Empty Re: Reel to reel? Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:40 am

fever

fever
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ok, Im the one person that said every 6 months but in my defence I only use mono in the 2 to 4lb range (Trout Guy) and I tend to break off on those monster 2 pounders and trees or rocks. Good thing mono is so cheap Very Happy

5Reel to reel? Empty Re: Reel to reel? Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:59 am

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I'm with LC on this one. Braid is great to have as backing and will last literally forever if used just for that. I tend to use my used braid off my flipping sticks (which do need to be changed out every 6 months to a year as it is rubbing on all sorts of cover). Fluoro will last a long time if not used and abused but I would recommend changing out every year to be safe. I've been going with mostly fluoro leaders so can make a 200 yard spool last multiple seasons.

Mono does need to be changed out every 6 months at the least. I change my mono reels (I only have maybe two reels with mono) out every 2-3 trips if there is some use on them. It is cheap so why take the chance on a fish of a lifetime?

Oh, if anyone is interested, I can send my used braid for the cost of postage if anyone wants it. I have at least a few spools and will be probably making more spools soon. Delta frogging season is almost ready!!!

Todd

http://www.geemoto.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum