FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» New landing net I just landed
by Troutbum Today at 9:15 am

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tubing w/o Waders...

+9
Watertooner
bodfish
TheAsianGuy
Fisher
fatboy531
desertstorm28
sLiM562
Chomps
ydoc
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Float Tubing w/o Waders... Mon May 06, 2013 1:13 pm

ydoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

I've ALWAYS fished from my float tube while wearing waders. Partially because of the water-temps (for most of the year) in Nebraska, and partially because of any "critters" (microscopic and otherwise) that I might come in contact with.

BUT, I know of some that fish from their tubes WITHOUT waders... So my questions are:

1) For those of you that fish without waders, do you go "both ways" (sometimes waders and sometimes not)?

2) Why do you prefer one way over the other?

3) Have you ever had any "issues" while fishing WITHOUT waders?

4) When you're done fishing, how do you protect your vehicle's seats from getting all wet from your wet jeans/shorts/trunks?

Thanks!

Bob

2Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Mon May 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I use to fish without waders but now that I have them I won't go back to fishing in board shorts. If you wanna fish with out waders you should wear some type of socks to keep your fins from rubbing on your skin. Also the spot behind your knees will rub on the seat of your tube and cause some irritation

3Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Mon May 06, 2013 4:26 pm

sLiM562

sLiM562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

yea i had that problem a lot when i was fishing with swim shorts also

https://www.facebook.com/addison.danh

4Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 pm

desertstorm28

desertstorm28
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

been tubing in board shorts for the last week couldn't wait to get the waders off finally! I haven't had any discomfort problems just a good sunburn on top of the knees after forgetting sunscreen one day... it's all about personal preference try both and see which you prefer

5Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I wouldn't want to be in the water w/o waders. The thought of microscopic critters drives me crazy. I've watched a few episodes of some crazy S**t on Nat Geo. Forget that, I rather be in waders.

6Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

haha microscopic critters u swim in lakes dont u no diff then tubin in one if i could tube all year without waders i would waders r not confy only time i will wear waders year round is in the salt cuz i dont want to run into any jelly fish i no its unlikely but theres always that chance

7Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Mon May 06, 2013 8:33 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm just being stupid. lol! I would go in with board shorts on those hotter days. The bodies of freshwater I fish are not dirty at all. In salt I always wear waders. Them jellies are no joke. They are highly visible at Newport Harbor.

8Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Tue May 07, 2013 7:03 am

ydoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for everybody's (quick) replies!!! Very Happy I've actually never fished WITHOUT my waders... neoprene when the water is cold, and "breathable" when things warm-up.

I guess the real reason that I was asking though, was if you DON'T wear waders, how do you keep from getting your vehicle's seats from getting soaked when you get back into the car/truck? Do you sit on big pieces of plastic/garbage bags?

Like Fatboy531 said, I'm not so sure about the microscopic critters that we might have swimmin' in the Nebraska farm ponds that I fish!! Shocked

9Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Tue May 07, 2013 7:18 am

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I guess the simplest solution would be to bring an extra pair of clothes. I usually wear long johns and long socks under my waders to help keep me warm. Avoids cramping. When I get out I usually jump into a clean pair of shorts a tshirt and sandals.

10Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 am

ydoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yeah, when I WEAR WADERS, that isn't a problem either! I usually have jeans or shorts on underneath... put the (wet) waders in a bag (until I get home and rinse them off and hang up to dry) and jump in the car and head home.

BUT... if I was fishing WITHOUT waders... and there's no place to change (too "public"), then what? How do you protect the car seats???

Or.... guess I'll just keep wearing waders and not worry about it! Wink

11Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

for me most of the time im dry by the time i get back to my truck cuz its so hot out here but if im not i just sit on my shorts that i wear on the way to the lake also i have those pleather seats so i dont care if they get wet but best thing for you would to bring a towle or 2 dry your self off with one and then sit on the dry one on the way home

12Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ydoc wrote:I've ALWAYS fished from my float tube while wearing waders. Partially because of the water-temps (for most of the year) in Nebraska, and partially because of any "critters" (microscopic and otherwise) that I might come in contact with.

BUT, I know of some that fish from their tubes WITHOUT waders... So my questions are:

1) For those of you that fish without waders, do you go "both ways" (sometimes waders and sometimes not)?

4) When you're done fishing, how do you protect your vehicle's seats from getting all wet from your wet jeans/shorts/trunks?

Thanks!

Bob

Bob, I know people in Nebraska, and the critters you're referring to, beside leeches and skin boring muzzles, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Pathogenic and bacteria, simply wash them off with warm water and soap when you get back to shore, or home.

1. Cold days, wader. Waters that is not deemed safe to be contacting with for too long, wader. Waters that are designated as source waters for drinking and will not be allowed to be contacted, waders. Otherwise, warm days, without the restrictions and concerns, naked/shorts.

2. I prefer to be in my own skin on warm days, since I can exchange cooling method more effectively, and excrete bodily fluid more readily (not the spineless brown trout thing) when I'm consuming a gallon of liquid (mainly coffee) to stay hydrated.

3. Yes..shriveled manhood, and skin, primarily at the toes region. I hate soggy shriveling toes due to long water exposure.

4. Spare shorts on hand, with a towel to dry off, get naked inside the towel, change, and just in case, a spare towel on the seat. You should worry more about the water that your tube will continue to leech out, rather than the water on your body wetting your seat. My entire minivan is lined with the garage vinyl liner, and I also put a $5 moving mat to catch all the sand and water coming from the tube or pontoon.

13Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Tue May 07, 2013 3:45 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
the only instances where I wet waded (sans waders) was at the Salton Sea at night.
Air temp in the high nineties and water temp in the low nineties. During the day I would wear summer suit bottoms (very thin material wet suit) to protect my skin from the sun's rays. (air temp in excess of 100 ) Otherwise always waders.

bodfish

14Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Tue May 07, 2013 3:51 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Salton Sea..man, I don't care what temp it's at, I wear my wader there. The eutrophication process create some unpleasant toxins, when combined with high salinity water, it's quickly get absorbed by the body at first, while your body fluid get extracted a bit later as you expose yourself on the water. Not pretty. When you're on shore, not a problem. When you play in the water for a bit, not a problem. When you have your legs exposed to the water more than an hour, not good, even though the water quality is better than the other lakes.

15Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Wed May 08, 2013 8:30 pm

ydoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

TheAsianGuy wrote:
ydoc wrote:I've ALWAYS fished from my float tube while wearing waders. Partially because of the water-temps (for most of the year) in Nebraska, and partially because of any "critters" (microscopic and otherwise) that I might come in contact with.

Thanks!

Bob

Bob, I know people in Nebraska, and the critters you're referring to, beside leeches and skin boring muzzles, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Pathogenic and bacteria, simply wash them off with warm water and soap when you get back to shore, or home.

1. Cold days, wader. Waters that is not deemed safe to be contacting with for too long, wader. Waters that are designated as source waters for drinking and will not be allowed to be contacted, waders. Otherwise, warm days, without the restrictions and concerns, naked/shorts.

2. I prefer to be in my own skin on warm days, since I can exchange cooling method more effectively, and excrete bodily fluid more readily (not the spineless brown trout thing) when I'm consuming a gallon of liquid (mainly coffee) to stay hydrated.

3. Yes..shriveled manhood, and skin, primarily at the toes region. I hate soggy shriveling toes due to long water exposure.

4. Spare shorts on hand, with a towel to dry off, get naked inside the towel, change, and just in case, a spare towel on the seat. You should worry more about the water that your tube will continue to leech out, rather than the water on your body wetting your seat. My entire minivan is lined with the garage vinyl liner, and I also put a $5 moving mat to catch all the sand and water coming from the tube or pontoon.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I had to chuckle about your "brown trout"!! lol! OK, the REAL reason I'm asking though, is somewhat similar to your "coffee" problem. I had prostate cancer and had my prostate removed. Doing so - at least in MY case - greatly reduces the ability to "hold it".

If I'm float-tubing in a remote farm pond out in the country, no problem going to the shore to pull down my waders and relieve myself. But, there are a number of bodies of water where there are enough other boaters (and houses!) where relieving one's self at the shore just won't work.

So, NOW you know the REAL reason for asking about the "wet ride" home... Embarassed

When the water gets WARM ENOUGH for "this old man", I might just try swim-trunks... and then a towel with a garbage can liner under that...

As for the water from my tube... yeah, same here. I don't have a pickup either, just a little Honda Accord. I have to deflate the tube (a Super Fat Cat) to store/travel and inflate to fish and deflate again to go home. I have a "real" canvas tarp and one of those blue water-proof tarps under that, in the trunk of my car. There might be some soak into the canvas - which I hang up after I get home - but it never gets through the blue tarp to the trunk carpet.

Thanks again for your and everyone's input!!

Bob

16Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ydoc wrote:Thanks for your detailed reply.

I had to chuckle about your "brown trout"!! lol! OK, the REAL reason I'm asking though, is somewhat similar to your "coffee" problem. I had prostate cancer and had my prostate removed. Doing so - at least in MY case - greatly reduces the ability to "hold it".

If I'm float-tubing in a remote farm pond out in the country, no problem going to the shore to pull down my waders and relieve myself. But, there are a number of bodies of water where there are enough other boaters (and houses!) where relieving one's self at the shore just won't work.

So, NOW you know the REAL reason for asking about the "wet ride" home... Embarassed

When the water gets WARM ENOUGH for "this old man", I might just try swim-trunks... and then a towel with a garbage can liner under that...

As for the water from my tube... yeah, same here. I don't have a pickup either, just a little Honda Accord. I have to deflate the tube (a Super Fat Cat) to store/travel and inflate to fish and deflate again to go home. I have a "real" canvas tarp and one of those blue water-proof tarps under that, in the trunk of my car. There might be some soak into the canvas - which I hang up after I get home - but it never gets through the blue tarp to the trunk carpet.

Thanks again for your and everyone's input!!

Bob

Bob, completely understand your situation. You have to understand that most recreational site discharge human waste (liquid based) into leech fields via the septic line, and eventually into the local ground water, which is the lake. Human solid wastes is a bit different, since the level of E-coli and fecal coliforms can cause detrimental effects on the biota more destructively, endangering pretty much those who come in contact later. Of course, animal feces the same, but on the lessen scale. In other words, pee is yes to discharge directly to water, spineless brown trout, no, not a good thing. So try to hold it to the best that you can before getting to shore to dig a hole, and bury that sucker. Otherwise, the local houses to use the public john.

If you can, visit the local hardware store, and see about the tarp as well as the furniture moving mat. It's a mix of mixed fibers. It's great in retain lots and lots of water and crap while on transport. I have 2 kids, and a wife that like to haul things, which is pretty much the entire house, to the campsite or beach. Imagine me trying to clean up after them after each trip. I came up with many many techniques to save my sanity.

By the way, what float tube do you have? Maybe I can suggest you options that can save your sanity and pride while on the water. When on the water, I don't get off the water until I'm satisfied or the wife calls me home. Normally, the wife tells me to come home before I reach my 7th hour on the water.

17Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 pm

ydoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

I've NEVER had to go "#2" while out. I try not to eat while out in my tube - that helps - only need to get rid of the coffee (like you). Wearing waders, I don't have any real choice other than to head to shore. Was just thinking that by going wader-less, that I could do my thing while still in the tube, or at least standing while still IN the water...

I have both an ODC 420 and a Super Fat Cat. Both have their advantages/disadvantages, but find myself fishing from the SFC the most.

Bob

18Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 am

Watertooner

Watertooner
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Whether ice fishing or pontooning, I usually fish near a park where there is a public restroom. I try to take care of #2 trout before I leave home so that peeing is my only concern. However, this winter, I went out on the ice with my bro-in-law for 6-7 hours. About 3 hours in, I felt a rumble in my guts, but I ignored it. Two more rumbles and I said, "I'm going to head for the outhouse" and tried to walk casually for about 200 hundred yards. With 100 yds to go, I was in distress. 50 yds - I was worried I wasn't going to make it. 30 yds to go and up a hill - did you ever hear about prairie dogging? 10 yds - I was blind and in a sweat - just hanging on. While opening the door, I was frantically trying to strip off my ice suit and other layers. Lifted the lid and didn't even have time to sit, but my backwards aim was true. I was so relieved - in every sense of the word. It would have been a sour ride home in his SUV otherwise. Might start packing a light change of clothes after this. You never know.

19Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

affraid lol!

That was great watertooner... well for me to read at least LMFAO

20Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LMAO!! Never have heavy meal the night before, and always pack granola and hard fruits to consume during they day. Jerky is the best thing to bring with you. Plenty of proteins to supplement your fuel needs, while prevent you from that #2 issue.

21Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Thu May 09, 2013 1:47 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dude TMI that was a great story though thanks for sharing, and so glad you have such great aim.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

22Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 am

ydoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

Watertooner wrote:Whether ice fishing or pontooning, I usually fish near a park where there is a public restroom. I try to take care of #2 trout before I leave home so that peeing is my only concern. However, this winter, I went out on the ice with my bro-in-law for 6-7 hours. About 3 hours in, I felt a rumble in my guts, but I ignored it. Two more rumbles and I said, "I'm going to head for the outhouse" and tried to walk casually for about 200 hundred yards. With 100 yds to go, I was in distress. 50 yds - I was worried I wasn't going to make it. 30 yds to go and up a hill - did you ever hear about prairie dogging? 10 yds - I was blind and in a sweat - just hanging on. While opening the door, I was frantically trying to strip off my ice suit and other layers. Lifted the lid and didn't even have time to sit, but my backwards aim was true. I was so relieved - in every sense of the word. It would have been a sour ride home in his SUV otherwise. Might start packing a light change of clothes after this. You never know.

Hahaha... been there, done that! But, FORTUNATELY, not while float-tube fishing!!!

23Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dear ydoc,

Once water temps hit about 68 or 70 degrees I never wear waders while tubing or while stream fishing and actually wading.

I'll be 53 years old in a couple of days and I always did the wrong thing whenever possible.  I ate dirt and bugs when I was a kid, wore the same wet sneakers until they literally fell off my feet, and I'm still picking berries along a stream or a tomato out of my garden and eating them unwashed.  I'm a firm believer in the old adage that, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Besides I'm a big man and fill out whatever tube I'm in.  Wearing waders and finning a lot would definitely wear out the waders more quickly by there rubbing in various places and waders to fit my ample azz cost far too much to deliberately wear out early.

When I am tubing in comfortable water and air temps I wear Supplex fishing pants or shorts like these.  Lots of places sell long pants versions of the same thing and I own several pairs that I wear when I am worried about water critters getting on me.  I just tuck the pant legs into my socks and hope for the best.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Those shorts and even the pants dry out literally in minutes once you get out of the water to stow your gear and head home so your car or truck seats won't know you're sitting on them with wet shorts.  My car or truck seats don't care how I sit tin them though, that's what the trees on my mirror are for!

Regards,

Tim Murphy Very Happy

24Float Tubing w/o Waders... Empty Re: Float Tubing w/o Waders... Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:41 pm

TheReelFishPosse

TheReelFishPosse
FTFF Gathering Officer

Some really interesting responses on this post.  Got a "Tee Hee" out Watertooner's response!  Anyway, most all of my float tubing time has been in colder water lakes and reservoirs of Idaho, Montana, etc.  Waders are a must.  I prefer to wear lightweight waders and use the layering effect when I am dressing for the day.  Even wearing shorts inside of your favorite lightweight wader works.  Hey, I am almost (64), and have concerns about shriveling up too much.Smile

http://thereelfishposse.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum