FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite Fishing Knife?

+9
dayhut
bodfish
xpoc
Watertooner
JsFishSlayer
TheAsianGuy
.:LOLLY:.
jeffcpr
bigmouthbasshole
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 am

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Does anyone have a favorite all purpose or fishing knife that they find usefull while one a tube? Any crazy stories about having to use a knife while on a tube? Any stories of needing a knife but not having one with you?

Been thinking about getting a good knife for tubing adventures, just wanted some advice from you guys.

Thanks

2Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 10:45 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I don't have a knife on my to worried I will screw up with it. I have a pair of trauma shears with me, they cute through anything. I have not runinto any need for a knive or reason to use my shears yet, and I pray I wont needed to one day.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a knife that I strapped the sheath to my rod rack and I have a lanyard from the actual knife to the rod rack in case I drop it. I got it because I once landed a hali and I had trouble ripping out the gills to kill it. All I had were my bare hands on some pliers which didn't help at all. Now with the knife I can quickly and easily remove the gills. I also use that knife to open up Mussel when fishing is slow and I want to try different tactics.

This is the knife I have. I got the one with the orange handle for visibility and serrated blade for better cutting (at least I think so). It IS on the pricey side but it's worth it since it comes with lifetime warranty against braking, rusting, and even dulling. Salt will rust anything, even stainless.

4Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 am

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Sweat blade Alfredo thats exactly what I am looking for but your right it is pricey!!! How did you attach the sheath to your rod rack without worring about loosing it?

5Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 11:35 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Gorilla Tape! It's super strong and black so it matches the color of my rod rack. The sheath has a belt loop on it, so I carefully passed the tape through the belt loop then wrapped it around a pipe of the rod rack. I attached the sheath of my pliers this way too. Super strong and no signs of it wearing out any time soon. I picked up this trick from wiseguy. It's simple and clean.

Also, I've had the knife for about a year now and does not show signs of any rusting. Most of my fishing is done in the salt and I rarely wash down the knife! I've only rinsed it with fresh water twice and that's it.

6Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Basic filet knife (6") from Bass Pro or Walmart. It's about how you keep the blade sharpened and maintained. I have both the 6" filet knife for all purposes during my trip strapped to the apron of my tube. The 6.6" hunter's knife (doesn't matter the brand) stowed away where it can easily access within 10 seconds, to deal with various dangers on and off the water. Fresh water, lakes, ponds, or stream, this is an active time for venomous/hungry creatures to lurk about. Are you ready?

7Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks AsainGuy. I have not needed to use a knife on my tube yet, but i feel better having quick access to one. Probably wouldnt do much good in the salt against a dog or a shark but at least Id go out with a fighting chance.

BTW... If you keep going on trips to the Salton Sea, your eventually going to run into some MUTATED ZOMBIE FISH or something!!! I live about 45 minutes away from there and no one that I know dares fish it!!!!

8Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 2:06 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LOL Mutation is a part of life. But I haven't encounter species of mutated tilapia yet. Many of the tilapia at the Red Hill were taken, ranging from 6" to 18", and did a genetic test for mutation. They only found hybridization from both genetic and visual. I wouldn't doubt there's somekind of mutation from the older species, but it takes at least 100 generations to have such mutation. So far, the younger generations haven't got any trace of mutation yet.

Don't be so wearied about hearsay from those who don't have the scientific background. If you worry about the Sea so much, you should also be wearied about the water you're drinking as well. The ground water contamination that you're using, as well as the water from the Colorado River being imported, is much much higher in heavy metals that it will kill you faster than the the fish at the Sea. However, you're right about the Sea's tilapia, that the fish will kill you much sooner than the mutants, since the tilapia's meat is high in omega 6, which leads to plenty of side effects if consumed daily in large quantity (6oz of filet/day for the next 3 years)

9Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 3:51 pm

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Wooooooooo wait a minute! Before this conversation I was just worried about the fish coming out of salton sea, now I'm worried about all water sources!!!

I guess I'll just have to stick to BEER!!!

10Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 4:01 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bigmouthbasshole wrote:I guess I'll just have to stick to BEER!!!

Well..where do you think they get the water for the beer? You think they filtered all the bad stuff out before they make it into the micro brew you come to love? Rolling Eyes

I'm just being pure evil at this moment as the facts are being revealed..slowly..and painfully.

11Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 pm

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote:

I have this same knife, but the straight edge blade, I love it. I try to keep it away from the tube unless I absolutely need it though, since CutCo anything is VERY sharp. Money well spent.

https://www.facebook.com/FishSlayerJoshS

12Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Thu May 09, 2013 10:10 am

Watertooner

Watertooner
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

If I drink enough beer, I won't worry about any worries and if I take a knife with me, I won't worry about those things that a knife will deal with either. Who needs a towel for getting around in life? Sounds like a knife and lots of beer will do just fine.

13Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 am

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Watertooner wrote:If I drink enough beer, I won't worry about any worries and if I take a knife with me, I won't worry about those things that a knife will deal with either. Who needs a towel for getting around in life? Sounds like a knife and lots of beer will do just fine.

My new motto for life:
KNIFE, BEER, AND FISHING GEAR!!!

14Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 pm

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

bigmouthbasshole wrote:
My new motto for life:
KNIFE, BEER, AND FISHING GEAR!!!

Amen to that! salute Thumbs Up

https://www.facebook.com/FishSlayerJoshS

15Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:58 pm

xpoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

Wicked sharp, wont rust

16Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:36 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey guys,

I carry a Benchmade "Mel Pardue" Griptillian folder. It is always in my back pocket or the front pocket of my waders. You just never know.....
Otherwise one of my favorite fishing knives has always been a 6" Rapala fillet knife. Cheap, REALLY sharp! (and easy to sharpen), wood handle (it floats), and just handles really well. 

bodfish

17Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:20 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

My favorite is a Cold Steel Trapper. Uniquely shaped blade, is copied from old Northwoods trapper/skinning knives.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

18Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Piefoot

Piefoot
FTFF Gathering Officer

My favorite knife when fishing, and hunting for that matter, is my full length U.S.M.C. Ka-Bar Fighting Knife with a Kydex sheath. It's handled everything I've been able to throw at it and keeps coming back for more. It holds an edge like no knife I've ever had. I absolutely love it. In fact, it's the only knife I use for fishing and hunting any more. I rarely fillet fish, but when I do I have a fillet knife I keep in the kitchen at home.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

19Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:58 am

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I always carry a Gerber Crucial.
 It's basically a stripped down multi-tool:
knife blade
needle nose pliers
screw drivers
carabiner-style clip (that doubles as a bottle opener)

It has a belt clip on it, which I use to clip it to my PFD.

The pliers have a wire-cutting section, so it's great for clipping fishing line, crimping weights, and a few rudimentary screw drivers in case you find yourself doing "reel surgery" while on the water.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It is by no means a fillet knife, but you can chop up smallish baitfish if need be.

This thing is great, so long as you don't feel the need to carry a sword while you float. If that's the case, look into that K-Bar.

20Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:12 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

This thing is great, so long as you don't feel the need to carry a sword while you float.

... and so long as you dont drop it over the side.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

21Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:32 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The knife that I could not do without on my tube is a tiny little Victorinox pocket knife. You know the one with a blade, file, scissors, tweezers and toothpick. I think I have used all the features while fishing. I keep it on a little retractable lanyard clipped to my waders. The scissors will cut braid!

Doubt I could fend off a Sea Lion with it. but I doubt I will ever need to.

22Favorite Fishing Knife? Empty Re: Favorite Fishing Knife? Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

No preference.as long as its sharp and I don't lose it I am good

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum