FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing

+5
Fisher
ed5000x
desertstorm28
jeffcpr
znyngkh
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm

znyngkh

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi guys, I'm debating on getting myself a float tube and was wondering how is the fishing inside of Channel Islands harbor?

And also how is the current around breakwalls? I was thinking it'd be great if I could launch from the beach right beside the north breakwall and kick my way to the outside breakwall to fish the inner side of the breakwall. (Away from the open ocean) Do I have to worry about strong currents or sharks?

2Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. I don't know that area but fishing any type of salt water there is gonna be current. Fishing the break walls is not for beginners !! Stay inside the harbor and learn and get the feel of tubing with currents etc.

3Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Welcome to the board i agree with miller you will always deal with current some stronger than other. I know guy fish break walls i have not but i suggest getting comfortable be for you head out to do something like that. There is plenty of fishing in the harbor to keep you busy while you are learning. Besafe always and above all take your time to learn the right ways welcome to the board.

P.S. Maybe you might want to get in volved in the toy drive there is a chance you coukd win a free float tube.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:59 pm

desertstorm28

desertstorm28
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

hey man I'm new to the salt only been out a few times and I'd recommend sticking to the harbors for a new guy the current is enough in the harbors and there are plenty of fish to be caught!

5Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:30 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome and yes the harbor is a good work out on a wind or and strong current ,
Try to get someone who has done the break wall before and knows how to read the tide charts

6Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:40 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

welcome tot he forums n ya go with someone that has tubed before

7Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:01 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey there! and Welcome!
Yup! You definitely want to be careful when fishing the CIH breakwater. It can be really tricky! I have never fished it in a kickcraft. We always had a motorized boat. The one thing you really need to watch out for in CIH, because it is such a narrow place, are all the floons in their boats. especially on the weekend. Good luck and be safe!

bodfish

8Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:31 pm

znyngkh

FTFF Gathering Officer

Ah thank you all! I will probably stay out of it for now!

9Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 am

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Don't get the wrong idea. No one is trying to discourage you. Just trying to school you on the technicalities of float tubing. When beginning have to take a lot of things into consideration. One thing that is important. Is being able to maneuver in your tube. A few outings on the water would make you comfortable enough to know whether or not you're able to get the spots you want to hit an open water. Good luck see you on the water

10Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:43 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Well said fatboy I agree we are not tring to keep you out of the water, infact I am sure you will find plenty of guys willing to get out in the water with you. We are as a board big on safety, so we are just looking out for you. Much rather have you post up with a big smile about your first trip out then post up I almost died out there. Stick with us and we will dial you and before you know it you till be heading out on solo trips or leading your own newbie out on there first trip. Tight lines and see you on the water

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

11Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:48 pm

znyngkh

FTFF Gathering Officer

lol thanks guys, i probably wont be heading out to the breakwall anytime soon!

12Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 pm

jjvalencia

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

i live in camarillo and have headed out on my float tube with my buddies the CIH i find it fun catch a couple small rockfish by the docks but thats about all still very fun. in my opinion ventura harbor is better by kiddy beach have had luck on a few short halibut. good luck! its a ton of fun:idea: 

13Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:30 am

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

jjvalencia wrote:i live in camarillo and have headed out on my float tube with my buddies the CIH i find it fun catch a couple small rockfish by the docks but thats about all still very fun. in my opinion ventura harbor is better by kiddy beach have had luck on a few short halibut. good luck! its a ton of fun:idea: 

Good to know you are up in that area. Maybe you can show us some spots up in Ventura.

14Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Truth be told the CIH and Ventura harbors are best at night. Both these harbors (and  Santa Barbara as well) have transient fish populations. They move in and out of the harbor depending on condition. I think this is because they are all, short, shallow, and narrow harbors. But because of that, they have some of the BIGGEST fish I have ever caught in harbors. I have caught 6lb+ calicos and sandies,as well as market size brown rockfish (CIH break wall) 15-20 pound halibut, (mouth of the Ventura) and 10 and 12 lb. WSBs and stripers.(Santa Barbara). These harbors are tricky, and can be very dangerous, but very rewarding as well, if you learn how. Oddly I do not think I have ever caught a spotted bay bass in any of these places.

bodfish

PS. I have never fished these harbors at night in a kick craft. Only small powered pots. Again, they are tricky, your biggest danger is the boat traffic and the current.

15Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Empty Re: Channel Islands Harbor Float Tubing Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:13 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I was born and raised in Oxnard, and used to fish CIH all the time. Graduate of HHS< class of 1975. Represent, boy!
Mind you, that fishing was 40+ years ago, but, hey... all that's changed is the place has gotten more crowded!

Im loving this chatter about my old stomping grounds.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum