FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best fins that aren't Force Fins

+6
Cutthroat
kin
Tony G Fishing
.:LOLLY:.
wiseguy
dayhut
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Best fins that aren't Force Fins Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:39 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Let's assume a tuber was willing to forego the Force Fins, willing to go with something a step down. I know, hard to imagine, but let's go with it.

Lets also assume that our stalwart tuber can actually find his fins, unlike those Hot Spot fins of lore and legend.

Given these conditions, Just what fins would our pioneering aquanaut find comfortable, efficient and affordable?

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

2Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:47 am

How I would rate them  :

1. Force Fins  -- can easily find a Great deal on Ebay for them !!!
2. Hotspot Fins easily found at any Turners outdoors in Southern Ca
3. Scubapro Twin Jet Scuba Diving Fins --- Here really good things about these guys
4. Aeris Mako Dive fin -- if i was on a budget great fins for around $50 brand new

-- Just make sure that whatever you buy will fit over Dive booties , boots , etc ...

Don't Skimp on your fins , A lot of us have learned that the hard way (myself included) I started with a pair of $35 Turbo Thrusters from creek company , yes they got the job done , but at what cost ? the cramps in my legs from having to over kick and the overall crazy fatigue that sets in quickly with lower priced fins .. REMEMBER WE GET WHAT WE PAY FOR !!! and the fins are what propel us in the water make your life easier and spend a few extra bucks..

Just my Thoughts ,

WES

3Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I couldnt have said it better than WES did.

4Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:13 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Misfitdog wrote:How I would rate them  :

1. Force Fins  -- can easily find a Great deal on Ebay for them !!!
2. Hotspot Fins easily found at any Turners outdoors in Southern Ca
3. Scubapro Twin Jet Scuba Diving Fins --- Here really good things about these guys
4. Aeris Mako Dive fin -- if i was on a budget great fins for around $50 brand new

-- Just make sure that whatever you buy will fit over Dive booties , boots , etc ...

Don't Skimp on your fins , A lot of us have learned that the hard way (myself included) I started with a pair of $35 Turbo Thrusters from creek company , yes they got the job done , but at what cost ? the cramps in my legs from having to over kick and the overall crazy fatigue that sets in quickly with lower priced fins .. REMEMBER WE GET WHAT WE PAY FOR !!! and the fins are what propel us in the water make your life easier and spend a few extra bucks..

Just my Thoughts ,

WES
Thanks WES.
1. I'll have to look around. Full retail is just more than I can handle on the FF's
2. Im in SC - no Turners. I maybe could impose on my contacts in Cali. It's an option. I've not found them online, however.
3&4. Thank you

I Intend to fit them to neoprene, either stocking foot waders or booties in the warmest months.
I also don't plan to buy junk, in case I gave that impression. Yet, I believe there is something that meets my needs without dropping a C-note or more. If that is untrue, please tell me.
You've helped greatly. Thanks.

Last edited by dayhut on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total

5Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wes hit the nail right on the head but you also have to keep in mind that it is personal preference. It might take a few attempts before you find some that fit your style of fishing/kicking.

I started off with $20 Wal-Mart special fins that I absolutely hated. After that I upgraded to Hot Spots which I loved. Now I upgraded once more and I have some Force Fins. Too me the hot spots and force fins and neck and neck in performance but the force fins are just slightly better. The difference is minimal enough that I didn't get the force fins until I found a sweet deal that I could not pass up.

6Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:01 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

good job Wes, great report!!, i think i have those same creek company thrusters...they get the job done but i think its time for me to upgrade as well... Thumbs Up 

7Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:07 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Misfitdog wrote:How I would rate them  :

Just my Thoughts ,

WES
Those "turbo fins" are like a race car running slicks on black ice...a whole lotta torque that'll get you no where fast and burns you out.
I have a set of cheap snorkeling fins and a set of atomic split fins...makes a huge difference!

8Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:20 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Those "turbo fins" are like a race car running slicks on black ice...a whole lotta torque that'll get you no where fast and burns you out.
I have a set of cheap snorkeling fins and a set of atomic split fins...makes a huge difference!

Atomic split fins, that's a new one to add to the list.

9Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Cutthroat

FTFF Gathering Officer

Omega Flip Fins are good. They are expensive, but less costly than Force Fins. You can flip them up to walk on land

10Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:39 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

YUP!!! same here bought me a cheap pair. Strap busted right out the box. I love my FORCE FINS I have a pair in XXL to fit in with my wading boots to preserve my waders. I haven't tried any other brands. Haven't had a reason too. These FF work just fine.

11Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:24 am

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

If you can find them, OMEGA flip fins are the Ultimate fin. I have not touched my Force Fins since I bought these. I use to be a Force Fin advocate, now I wonder why Razz 

12Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 am

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Very informative info, so I have a pontoon and looking for fins also till I get a trolling motor set up. Would forced fins be the way to go for me also. Since I'm pushing around more then in someone in a tube. Also they would be more for spinning me and keeping me in an area since I have my oars to get me places.

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

13Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:41 am

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Pavo21 wrote:Very informative info, so I have a pontoon and looking for fins also till I get a trolling motor set up. Would forced fins be the way to go for me also. Since I'm pushing around more then in someone in a tube. Also they would be more for spinning me and keeping me in an area since I have my oars to get me places.

In my experience and the three others that fish with me, no, Force Fins are not the best for Pontoon. Don't get me wrong, they are great with the way they scoop water. But one person I fish with wears a size 12 and that leaves very little fin blade showing. But we used the adjustable FF
A longer scuba style fin is much less taxing. You just need to lean back and flutter your feet like a swimmer and you are actually moving on the up stroke as well as the down. You really need to move very little.
Been five years since I used mine now.

14Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:45 am

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well I wear a size 12 also. So I need something that will keep me in place and move me around a bit without killing me

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

15Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Force fins Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Yardsaleunderwear

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Will force fins fit over a size 13 wading boot though, I have had so much trouble with broken buckles and shoe string tie on fins that I just bought some regular scuba fins 20$ and cut the top out of the foot cuff. I cut a slit on both sides and put a couple of heavy duty backpack buckles through the slit and buckle it to the toe of my boots, for the back I use the original rear strap, it works much better than any step into fins On the market. Plus the extra length gives me more thrust. I just wish some one would make some fins for forward and backwards mobility. I plan on relocating the fins somehow to be on top of my boots so the rock and sand bottom of creeks don't tear them up.

16Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Cutthroat

FTFF Gathering Officer

Renegade,

What kind of pontoon do you have? Do you have oars to row it? It matters in choosing your fins. I use the Omega Flip Fins with my Fish Cat 4 Deluxe float tube. But my pontoon is a Scadden Renegade. My propulsion with it is oars. I use fins with it just to make minor position adjustments, or when anchored in wind to keep the pontoon toward where I am fishing. I can't use the Omega Flip Fins with the Renegade. They are very long, and it is awkward to under the footrest when I want to resume rowing. So I use some much shorter fins with my pontoon.

17Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Cutthroat, I have not used a float tube for many years. Closest I have been was the Escape 4 years ago. I have had and have the Freestyle H3, the NFO Navigator (which was a proto type to the Renegade now) the Escape, the Renegade, the Predator, the Assault and the XX, the Cardiac Canyon, the X5 and the Fusion. I am a NFO groupie...LOL I have owned Outcast and Bucks Bag.
I liked the Force Fins a lot. But then I got the Omega's. To be honest I hated them at first. But that was because I was trying to apply the same stroke I used with the FF. The lifting and scooping. After a couple hours (slow learn) I relaxed (more from exhaustion) and realized I was flying with very little effort and on the up ad down stroke.
They are LONG though. That is why I ordered the Assault with the adjustable foot pegs.
I basically grab the tip of the fin an pull back while I put my foot on the bar.
I have 36" inseam, so yes long legs. Oars, I have the Light Speeds for the Frameless and the Power Stroke for my framed. All oars are about a foot longer than stock. Much easier.

18Best fins that aren't Force Fins Empty Re: Best fins that aren't Force Fins Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:02 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

More good info!
Thanks folks.

Im actually going to be in a frameless pontoons and a framed personal pontoon - not a float tube.
SO Im hearing that longer, scuba-esque fins would be appropriate?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum