FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by jeffcpr Today at 5:28 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Today at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Classic Accessories Roanoke Pontoon Review

+4
jeffcpr
Jerdon
.:LOLLY:.
FishyD
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Classic Accessories Roanoke Pontoon Review Empty Classic Accessories Roanoke Pontoon Review Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 am

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

For a while, I have wanted to get a pontoon. I have a float tube and love it, but I liked the idea that you could be completely out of the water and also that you could row it. So I pulled the trigger a little over a week ago and bought the Classic Accessories Roanoke. It arrived on Friday. I had it out for the first time Sunday evening. This is my review of the pontoon and a comparison between a pontoon and a tube.

The main reason I wanted a pontoon was that you have the option to row it. It was very nice to go across the small lake I usually fish and not be dead tired on the way back. I could have made multiple laps around the lake and I wouldn't have even been tired (although it is a really small lake. More of a pond. Not even 50 acres.) I would never want to go very far from the launching area in the tube because it always seems to end up more difficult than you first think it will be. Also, it is really helpful to be able to row forwards. I was able to navigate through an area full of stumps, whereas in a tube you might not see the sharp log just under the surface. Definitely a helpful feature.

The other thing that I really wanted was to be out of the water. With the Roanoke you are high and dry. The float tube is great, and I love it, but most days I just don't really want to be in the water. The only part of me that ever has to touch the water is my feet. Next trip I plan to use my fins, so I will probably be shin deep. Much better than water up to my waist in the tube.

Although I generally don't pack much, it is nice to have a rear storage deck. I can bring my full size tackle box with me and maybe even a cooler if I feel like making an all day trip. The pockets are larger than the ones on my tube, although I do have a low end U-tube and the pockets on a higher end tube like a Cumberland are probably just as big as the ones on the Roanoke or bigger.

My only complaint about the toon so far is the apron. Most of CA's pontoons have an under seat apron, and it is more useful than I thought it would be, but I would much rather have it in front of me. It just doesn't do much for you under the seat.

Overall, I love the pontoon. I figured it would be the most fun way I have ever fished, and I was right. If you have never tried one, I would recommend it. You can't go wrong with the Roanoke or one of CA's higher end models like the Colorado. Hopefully I will get some mods I want done and post some pictures. I think I'm going to build a rod rack and an anchor system. If anybody has any ideas to share about these, it would be much appreciated.

Wow. Looks like I let my little review get a little big. I guess I better quit here. Thanks for reading.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Congrats on the new vessel. For the apron you could probably get away with a fly fishing stripping basket. For the anchor system try browsing Google. I have seen some clever systems with pulley systems on Pontoons. Good luck!

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Congratz on the new toy!

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thanks for the review and glad you like your new Pontoon.  Thumbs Up 

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks guys! I have had it out for 4 days in a row and couldn't be happier. Actually, I would be happier if I purchased some of those oar holders that i have seen while i was researching. It is a little more difficult to control than I anticipated (I have rowed a jon boat before and it doesn't handle as well as that which is what i'm used to) but I guess I should have known that an 8 foot boat that is very light and the parts aren't completely solid isn't going to run completely straight all the time. And it is manageable. And about the anchor system, I was planning on eventually building a pulley system. I am winging it at the moment and just have a piece of pvc to guide the line and keep it in the middle. I use a piece of chain wadded up and it holds great. I have found out that I don't really need an apron unless it is a big fish. I am usually going for largemouth so it isn't a big deal but yesterday I caught a channel cat that was about 22" long (on a plastic worm! I was very surprised!) and it was kind of tricky. Luckily, my brother was there in the jon boat to save the day! And while I'm at it, I gotta throw in that he caught a 22 inch bass that day, which is really nice for Nebraska. I know in California where you guys are from it probably isn't as rare as it is here.

Wow I really need to learn to cut down on my posts! Sorry they're so long lol!

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Rowing a toon is kinda awkward at first. And going in a straight line takes a lot of practice. So much practice that I ditched the oars and slapped on a motor..lol
How heavy is the Roanoke?

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

Casting Call wrote:How heavy is the Roanoke?

Im not completely sure but i know its around 45-50 pounds. It's nice and light. But like I said I am able to row it, it is just a little tricky at times. Especially when you are going slow. For some reason it is easier for me to control when I am going full speed. It is also pretty quick, so that's nice.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Great review. I have been pontooning a long time and the idea of that apron under the seat is a very good idea. More for dropping things which can and will happen. I had a metal standing deck under my seat. I dropped a $200 reel loaded with $75. fly line. It hit the metal deck and bounced right into the water....I was sad.
You also may want to add cushions to that seat.
As for Aprons, On a Pontoon it can take imagination. I use these
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I love my colorado xt, but sometimes i want a float tube

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

Watertooner

Watertooner
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

You are going to love your Roanoke. I've had a CA Madison model for about 10 years and have had no issues and no leaks. Here is a link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to my intro post from a couple years ago that shows a pic of my anchor system. Easy to reach and to use.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum