FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

I need help picking out a new fish finder.

+3
CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER
jeffcpr
Dex
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I need help picking out a new fish finder. Empty I need help picking out a new fish finder. Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

OK guys, I received a couple Bass Pro gift cards for Christmas, and I would like to use them towards a fish finder for my float tube.  
The only thing is, I don't have any knowledge what-so-ever on these things. So, can you please give me some things I should look for when searching for a FF?   What are your recommendations?  Do I need to spend the extra money for "Down Imaging"? Colored screen or black and white?   Brand Names? Oh yeah, I want to stay under the $200 mark.  I think I have one picked out, but wanted to pick your guy's brains first. Any and all feedback is welcome.  

Thanks guys!! Thumbs Up

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Lowrance is my choice but only because that is what I use. Mine is older, but works great, the black and white I think is better only because there is less to learn in the long run. That is my 2 cents.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER
Fishermen of the Year 2014

Dex, I just picked up the lowrance Elite 4 HDI and I tell you what, it is one bad ass device. Its a color screen, its retailed for 300.00 but it was on sale a few days b4 x-mas and end up buying it for 200.00 plus the battery all out the door for 250.00. I was the same way not knowing how to go about it but after doing some research, asking and some homework it had me sold, you will not go wrong with this FF. Its not complicated what's so ever. The Lowrance Elite 4 HDI gives you many options plus you can GPS structures and hot spots. It helps you keep data of all your saved marking for future fishing missions. This device has the sonar and down scan imaging at the same time. I almost bought the black and grey model but many guys tell me its hard to see the screen on a bright day and with polarize glasses makes it worse. The new Lowrance is coming out in a few months "the CHIRP" I wish I would of waited but with a 100.00 off, I just had to jump on it like a fle on a dog.

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I second that ^^^ I use it on a kayak. for tubing I got the 140c hummingbird and I love it!!! I recommend the color, it tells you the density of the objects you are looking at so you know if its a rock or a bush of algae. I use it with rechargeable batteries, and it come all in one pice (as oppose to external battery box, transducer and its bracket, cables... ) and I think is designed for float tubes.
I got to know it so well I wanna make a tutorial for it. Cool

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Fishingalldaybaby, its funny you mentioned you use the Lowrance Elite 4. Im glad you say you like it. I was actually looking at getting the new Elite 4 with "CHIRP" I cant find any reviews on it yet, then I realized its not on the market yet. Would this finder be a good one to use? Are the Lowrance's hard to learn to use? This will be my fist finder and dont want anything to difficult to use.

I agree the color scale helps you determine the density of the structure you are seeing for sure , as far as them being hard to learn and understand it is not too difficult . As I had a Garmin 300c and I changed it for a black/gray scale Hummingbird 175 . I wish my Finder had a Gps plotter on it . but I do carry a Garmin Portable that I have been storing Waypoints for Years.

Do not be thrown off by a Black and Gray Scale Finder and people saying that you cannot read them in the sun or with polorized glasses on . Adjusting contrast/brightness on any Finder is critical. Having the DB/Sonar is great Thumbs Up

As far as Lowrance Finders go I have heard mixed reviews it seems to be a love or hate relationship .. Good luck with whatever you choose and remember you are not using the finder to see marks of fish on the finder , but to locate the structure that fish hold on !

Wes

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks for your info Misfit. Decisions, decisions. Lol..

Dex wrote:Thanks for your info Misfit.  Decisions, decisions.   Lol..

No problem , I personally am liking the new Humminbird Helix Series , I was able to play with them at Basspro last week and I have my eye on the Humminbird Helix 5 Fishfinder and Chartplotter.

Wes

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Misfitdog wrote:
Dex wrote:Thanks for your info Misfit.  Decisions, decisions.   Lol..

No problem , I personally am liking the new Humminbird Helix Series , I was able to play with them at Basspro last week and I have my eye on the Humminbird Helix 5 Fishfinder and Chartplotter.

Wes

I think what I need to do is go to a Basspro and check them all out and do some comparisons with all the different makes and models. I'll check out the Helix Series too.
Thanks

There all good FF but I do recommen going and checking them out. They all have pros & cons.
I have the elite 4 DSI and honestly sometimes I wonder why I even got it as I also have the garmen 100 B&W and I think it works better.

I say whatever unit you go with make sure to get a gps/chat plotter. I wish I did but my next unit will have it

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

miller wrote:There all good FF but I do recommen going and checking them out. They all have pros & cons.
I have the elite 4 DSI and honestly sometimes I wonder why I even got it as I also have the garmen 100 B&W and I think it works better.

I say whatever unit you go with make sure to get a gps/chat plotter. I wish I did but my next unit will have it

Thats good advice. I like the idea of having a chart plotter. Even though I can use my hand held gps unit for marking way points, it would be a lot less gear to haul around if I just got a finder with a chart plotter built in.

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Alright guys, I just picked up my very fist fish finder today at Bass Pro.  I ended up going with the new Lowrance Elite 4X "CHIRP".     I dont know anything about these things, can someone send info on what type of battery I need to use.  Power requirments say 12v.   ALso, does anyone know of a website or have a video they can share on how to use and operate this thing?  Thanks guys.

Last edited by Dex on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

NeKro

NeKro
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice bro. Maybe a good tax return can convince me to getting a FF also Smile

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

congrats dex! i wanna get a color one too...i have the 160 piranha, does the job but i want Twisted Evil color

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

NeKro wrote:Nice bro. Maybe a good tax return can convince me to getting a FF also Smile

NeKro, I got this one for $169. I just need to get a battery and a mount for my float tube.

NeKro

NeKro
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dex wrote:
NeKro wrote:Nice bro. Maybe a good tax return can convince me to getting a FF also Smile

NeKro,  I got this one for $169.  I just need to get a battery and a mount for my float tube.  

Where from? I saw Amazon having it for around $190 and there usually the cheapest place.

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

NeKro wrote:
Dex wrote:

NeKro,  I got this one for $169.  I just need to get a battery and a mount for my float tube.  

Where from? I saw Amazon having it for around $190 and there usually the cheapest place.

I got it at Bass Pro. There are different models. I know the next step up from the one i got is $199, so maybe thats the one you seen on amazon. The more expensive one has down imagining. With this being my first fish finder I am good with just the regular chirp sonar.
BTW, I'm glad I went to Bass Pro today becuase today was the first day of their big spring fishing sales. If there is one near you I would recommend going and stocking up on things you need this summer. Lots of great deals.

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dex wrote:Alright guys, I just picked up my very fist fish finder today at Bass Pro.  I ended up going with the new Lowrance Elite 4X "CHIRP".     I dont know anything about these things, can someone send info on what type of battery I need to use.  Power requirments say 12v.   ALso, does anyone know of a website or have a video they can share on how to use and operate this thing?  Thanks guys.

I got mine about a year ago, today my elite 4 HID didn't work!! it got stuck on the first opening screen, sometimes on the second screen where you have to click enter to continue for its use. I have to call customer service and find out what`s up. anyways, you need a 12v battery/2amp. maintenance free sealed lead acid. something like this Is what I have:

and make a carry box for it with a water proof box from wal-mart, and get a seal-tight fitting for the cable. I try to upload apic for you.

Last edited by Aquaholic38 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I`m having trouble uploading pics here. always, if you send me you cell # I`ll text you a pic. of the box I made.

here`s a link to the pic. I uploaded on FB to upload it here...

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Check this link out for a battery. This setup is way lighter than the traditional one.

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

SirMixALot wrote:Check this link out for a battery. This setup is way lighter than the traditional one.

Thanks for the link SirMixALot. So the blue battery is the new one and the black battery was the old one? How many hours can you get from this lighter setup? The charger comes with the battery?

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The lighter setup will probably last you a couple days fishing. I've never run them out on two outings. Charger is included with the blue battery. Might even be cheaper now.

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thats awesome. Thanks for the info. I like this style of setup. I'm not familar with these types of batteries. Are there any features I need to look for when buying one? Things to get or stay away from? THX!!

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

As long as you get a charger with them they're a pretty good deal. They don't kill the bank and they'll leave room in your side pockets for more lures you said you would try next time out Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum