FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for advice on a creek company classic xl pontoon boat

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

angeljames613

FTFF Gathering Officer

I was looking to invest in a creek company classic xl pontoon boat ..just never owned a pontoon style wanted know some tips or advice /reviews ..thanks

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So I own an ODC 420 and I like it very much, I also own and use a Cumberland and think that it is a much better tube, but the ODC still has it advantages or strong points. Not sure if you saw this but it was posted on our board by a members and it was a great review.

"Here is the Thread"
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

angeljames613

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for the response , but isn't that a thread talking about the odc 420 float tube not the xl pontoon style boat ?

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

True it is the ODC 420, they are different but not much different, just thought I would pass it along

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

angeljames613

FTFF Gathering Officer

Oh, true thank you ..and thanks for the quick reply

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

angeljames613,

I've gone from a belly boat to a u-boat to a pontoon. Being high and dry out of the water is very welcomed with a pontoon.  As well, having the option to row, kick or both simultaneously is a benefit, too (I'm not a great rower so I use my fins to keep me straight as well as add extra juice to propulsion.)

I have the ODC 945.  As far as I can tell, the differences between the two are slight. The blue ODC 886 utilizes the push button valves and also has insulated cup holders.  The green ODC 945 has Boston valves and no cup holders. The dimensions and capacities are the same. Even the accessories look to be the same.

I don't mind the Boston valves because I know I won't have to rely on an OEM adapter to inflate my pontoons. Bostons valves are pretty common and if I forget my pump at home, I know I could borrow a pump and get the pontoons filled.  By the way, I have a K-Pump K200 and it only take 5 1/2 minutes to inflate both pontoons from scratch.  But, since I leave them about 2/3 full hanging in my workshop, it only takes a minute or so to get them up and running waterside.

As for the cup holders... I usually bring Capri Sun juices, a camelbak or my water bottle that I store in the pocket. Don't need the holders too much.

Racks and rigging can be a slight challenge. Everything needs to be out of the oar's swing path radius. You’ll be jealous of your float tube brethren because they have it easy; racks are simply made and placed most anywhere. But, you’ll exact your revenge with storage quantity and quality. I had to adjust my first rod holder design (used when I troll out to my spot) for ergonomics. the second iteration works for me but is a little stretch for some. I have an idea for a third, but we’ll see if it’s necessary. Where you’ll be happy is the rear deck. I have storage for my net, PFD, extra gear, my transport wheel setup I made and rocket launchers for extra rods. You can put your trolling motor back there and I’ve seen some bait wells on Japanese toons. Also, you can have your anchor stored back there or use the bracket CreekCo sells. Lastly, I didn't like the way the stripping net bunched up when attached so I made a frame for it so it lays out flat and at a height that suited for me.

Only other thing I can tell you is if you haven’t done a lot of rowing before, take it easy on the maiden voyage.  My first time out, I must have thought I was on Oxford’s Crew defending the title from Cambridge at The Boat Race.  Trying to set the world speed record on the water, I ruined a tendon in my wrist.  It’s taken along time to rehab and recover.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum