FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

toon vs tube decisions, decisions

+3
fishn bum
Jerdon
half fast
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty toon vs tube decisions, decisions Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:46 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Well folks, I haven't bought my tube yet, I was set on the cumberland/marshland, but also liked the idea of a pontoon boat. It was a no brainer because the cumberland was 100 bucks cheaper than the pontoons I was looking at. My local retailer just put out a sale on 2 toons, Creek Company sport lt and Classic Accessories clark fork for about the same price as the cumberland float tube. I will probably get both this year (toon and tube), but I am going on a trip in about a month and need to pick one over the other.

I am sure both are decent choices, and I understand that the tube you will be wetter than the toon. Leaning towards the toon, buying the tube means I need waders and fins (extra cost). Both seem easy to mod. I am interested in opinions, especially if you own both or have gone from toon to tube or vice versa and why. I will be mostly in ponds, small lakes and lazy rivers. No big water. I will be fly fishing, mostly.

Thanks.

2toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:21 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Pulled the trigger on a classic accessories colorado pontoon. At 349 plus tax, I could not pass it up. It is a little heavier than I wanted, the price was right. I saw the same thing at one of the local retailers for 580.

3toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Nice looking toon! Congratz!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope to see a report soon.

4toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:45 pm

fishn bum

FTFF Gathering Officer

Very Happy I have had both the tune is great to keep you up out of the water,great in cold weather.The wind can be a problem.If you use the toon in a river don't go over a 5 lb anchor I use a dunb bell.If it wont hold you You don't need to be anchored there.I gave up the tune for a solo canoe easier to go up stream.The tube is light easy to store & just fun
Very Happy Dennis

5toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:51 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I was going to get a dc and hand pump for it, but I can't figure out what kind of valve system. Is it a boston valve, or ? I was also planning on doing the seat raise mod, with 2x4's and leave a few inches sticking out the back to mount rod holders on for trolling. Let me know what you think.

6toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:44 am

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

half fast wrote:Pulled the trigger on a classic accessories colorado pontoon. At 349 plus tax, I could not pass it up. It is a little heavier than I wanted, the price was right. I saw the same thing at one of the local retailers for 580.
Good choice, you got a great deal!

7toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:57 am

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

half fast wrote:I was going to get a dc and hand pump for it, but I can't figure out what kind of valve system. Is it a boston valve, or ? I was also planning on doing the seat raise mod, with 2x4's and leave a few inches sticking out the back to mount rod holders on for trolling. Let me know what you think.
Not sure what the valve is called, but I got a tire inflator that can inflate low pressure stuff, and just use the valve adaptor that the toon comes with.

Heres my post with my mods with pics: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

8toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Heres the valve, from Cover Bonanza:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Definitely not a Boston-style valve.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

9toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Casting Call wrote:
half fast wrote:Pulled the trigger on a classic accessories colorado pontoon. At 349 plus tax, I could not pass it up. It is a little heavier than I wanted, the price was right. I saw the same thing at one of the local retailers for 580.
Good choice, you got a great deal!

I am not sure I should say where, as I am a noob, but it's the only place I know that I can buy my groceries, underpants, fishing pole, and a 30-30 (I bought my 30-30 there) and ammo all in the same place. My local one has a McDonalds inside. I ordered off thier website. Free shipping to my door.

10toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

half fast wrote:

I am not sure I should say where, as I am a noob, but it's the only place I know that I can buy my groceries, underpants, fishing pole, and a 30-30 (I bought my 30-30 there) and ammo all in the same place. My local one has a McDonalds inside. I ordered off thier website. Free shipping to my door.

Does it rhyme with malwart? lol

11toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:00 am

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Why, yes it does.

12toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:09 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Congrats on your toon.  I think it's a good choice if you're fly fishing.

Back to the original question, in case someone searches threads for it...

I got back into floatboating just last year to fish with my buddies, mainly saltwater with a couple of trips up to the Sierras. Previously, I was fly fishing creeks and rivers for 20 years (fished inshore and offshore saltwater from a kid before that) but in the beginning float tubed for a little while. It never really interested me; I would rather stalk fish in the river.  I got a couple buddies interested in fly fishing. They soon really got into tubing lakes (one now is a hard core saltwater fly fishing tuber.)  

I ended up getting a toon. My uncle was a guide in the Truckee area. When he switched to a toon, I never heard the end of it and its praises.  Reasons, you're higher out of water for ease of fly casting, spotting fish and there is more gear storage. I also like that you can use oars or fins for propulsion.  

With that being said, I am ready to pull the trigger on a tube. Why?  A couple of reasons.  First, convenience. Although, I can carry a broken down toon in a xl duffle bag in my car's full size trunk, I have to keep it semi-complete in the back of the truck if I want to be on the water in less than 15-20 minutes (that's with 2/3's inflated pontoons. yeah, I'm slow.)  My buddies are ready to go out the door.  Second, the size is more manageable for the trips up to the Sierras. Everyone is coming from all over when we hit saltwater; everyone drives themselves. Trips up north are caravans. space is limited.  In addition, some of those guys just started hiking/packing in to lakes. A pontoon, even as a wheelbarrow with its transport wheel toting gear, is a lot to handle.

Fishing for any stretch of time in the pontoon has been very comfortable. Not sure how the tube will be for a substantial amount of time but it will be mainly for short jaunts in the harbor.  Fly fishing a lake still doesn't interest me that much but, it's fishing time and hanging with my buddies.

It's funny cuz the toon has only hit saltwater so far. And at that, I haven't fly fished from it yet. The rocket launchers I made for casting rods are port aft and stand straight up (I cast right handed.)  The launchers I'm making for fly rods keep them low and out of the way of casting on the port side.  Oar travel is a problem when designing for a pontoon. No problem for a tube. My buddy built a fly rod holder similar to the Outcast rod holder (like and outrigger.)

Tight Lines!

p.s.  If you didn't get a pump yet -  I can't handle being hunched over a floor pump forever. And, not too cool to fire up an electric pump in a harbor community at 5:30 in the morning.  K-pump 200 is the only way for me now.  Takes me about 6 mins to pump up both pontoons from dead flat; tops off in no time flat.  Remember, I'm slow, too.

Last edited by chipmcd on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

13toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:44 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks chipmcd for the tips. Some of the ponds I fish are infested with turtles and snakes, and I was a little leary of the tube. I will probably get one later this year, as I like the idea, and some waters are ideal. The toon just seemed more practical for my immediate needs. Another thing was price. I can buy a tube for a little off retail, but when I found this deal and read 90+ reviews (almost all positive) it made a difference for me.

Thanks to all for the replies. Hope I can help someone else to save a buck.

14toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Catman1979

Catman1979
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

The name of the valve is a Robert Halkey valve. It is super strong, and used by our military actually on all of their smaller floating vehicles. With an electrical air pump, you will get it about half full. To top it off you will need a double chamber air pump, which you can get for under twenty bucks.

15toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:34 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks again catman1979, a wealth of information here. Boat should show up any day. Can't wait.

16toon vs tube decisions, decisions Empty Re: toon vs tube decisions, decisions Fri May 01, 2015 5:28 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Brown truck dropped of the colorado today. Now I have lots to do. I think the first thing I am probably going to do is wd 40 the frame, and figure out the seat 2x4 + swivel mod if it's not too difficult. Got to get a hand pump and a dc pump. This looks like a really well made product. Thanks to all for the tips and advise. I am sure my fishing trip later this month will be the most fun yet.

I need to get an air pressure gauge, what do you guys recommend?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum