FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Waist high waders ?

+3
.:LOLLY:.
rusty hook
ole giller
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Waist high waders ? Empty Waist high waders ? Sat May 02, 2015 5:57 am

ole giller

FTFF Gathering Officer

I am currently using G3 Guide convertable waders. They are getting quite a few years on them.. I am noticing that they are getting tougher to turn inside out with the foot material getting stiff with age.
I am 73 so I understand the stiff joints with age. lol
With the G-3s now up to $400 and the fact that I never raise the top section, I am considering waist high waders.
 I'm fishing from my much loved Outcast Fat Cat and in spite of my 250 lbs. I never sit down in the water enough to ever need more than waist high waders.  
Are any of you using the waist high on a regular basis? Are there recomendations on brand ?
Note--I tried Cabelas as my first waders in the $200 range . I had to use their great return policy for a half dozen pair due to leaky knee area leaks.  I really don't want to go there again.  Wish all good float tubing .

2Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Sun May 03, 2015 6:47 am

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I was wondering if anyone has used a light weight wast high wet suite? I was thinking not so much for the san diego area but up north where the water gets very cold. Any thoughts about this?

3Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Sun May 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wiseguy uses waist high waders and he swears by them. I forget what brand they are.

4Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Mon May 04, 2015 4:30 pm

BruceSmith

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have made the switch to waist high waders a few years ago. Love them. Simms G3 guide pant is what I use, along with a SFC in the past but have now upgraded this season to a Stealth Pro.

5Waist high waders ? Empty Found a pair Tue May 05, 2015 4:22 am

ole giller

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thank you for the replies. I found a pair of Simms waist waders on closeout at a shop out west, Duranglers. I think they are a mid range pair called Simms Freestone waist high. At $125 including ship I think I'll be pleased with them. They only had XXL which is one size over for me but I don't think that will be an issue under water and I'm not planning any walkabout fashion contests soon. lol I don't think I'm too rough on waders, but the knee action of tubing was too much for the Cabelas ones they had 4 years ago. Perhaps that has changed.
Again, I appreciate the responses. Wish all smooth tubing.

6Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 pm

awesome you found A pair let us know who they work out for you Giller Smile

7Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Tue May 05, 2015 3:28 pm

BruceSmith

FTFF Gathering Officer

Ole Giller, I had the same problem with the Cableas waders, literally wore a hole(s) in them by kicking the float tube.

8Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Tue May 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

BruceSmith wrote:Ole Giller, I had the same problem with the Cableas waders, literally wore a hole(s) in them by kicking the float tube.  

In the knees as well?

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

9Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Tue May 05, 2015 8:13 pm

BruceSmith

FTFF Gathering Officer

On the inside of the knees, where my legs rub together.

10Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Thu May 14, 2015 8:14 pm

ole giller

FTFF Gathering Officer

I got the waders in and they looked really nice. It so happened that I and my son went and checked out a lake we had never fished .I had him try out the waders and they worked as expected .. We did notice one thing that is a bit different with these. They are not as readily breathable as my convertables, When he sat down in the tube they ballooned out a lot. They were of course leaking out air at the waist, but he popped the belt to speed the process a bit. Overall, he was pleased with them and I gifted him with them and ordered another pair for myself.  
We have a big family affair this Sat. and after that is behind me I hope to get out in the tube and enjoy an outing in them.    
Even with this very limited experience with a  size too large waders, for exclusive use in a float tube I would not hesitate to suggest slightly oversize waders.

11Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Fri May 29, 2015 8:22 am

ole giller

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have been out with the waist high waders a number of times and they are nice. The only con I can come up with is they are not a breathable as my convertables are. That is really not an issue when in the tube though as water cools nicely.

12Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Fri May 29, 2015 10:16 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

ole giller wrote:I have been out with the waist high waders a number of times and they are nice. The only con I can come up with is they are not a breathable as my convertables are. That is really not an issue when in the tube though as water cools nicely.

Does not as breathable translate into you sweat more while walking to the water?

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

13Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Fri May 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use waist high. A pair of ol' Rivendell breathables with a zipper fly. They are fantastic. I will wear them on my Fuzion as I sit lower and get splashed on, or if it is raining. All other pontoons I just use HIP waders. Problem I see, most waist highs are not that big of savings over chest, and you can roll chest down.
On a different not, SIMMS is awesome with their product. Maybe talk to them first.

14Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Fri May 29, 2015 2:47 pm

front zipper , yes i need this .. why must it cost a arm and leg for that must needed feature  affraid

15Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Sat May 30, 2015 5:03 am

ole giller

FTFF Gathering Officer

I change into my waders at the shore if I walk very far ,but no doubt the less breathable waders would get sticky in a hurry as I sweat a lot anyway.
I agree that a front zipper should be common. Don't any designers drink as much coffee as I ? lol

16Waist high waders ? Empty Re: Waist high waders ? Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Cutthroat

FTFF Gathering Officer

With my Scadden Renegade, I use breathable Dan Bailey hip waders. The Renegade seat is high enough that I don't get my butt wet.[/i]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum