FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

PSI guage recommendations

+6
GT
Jerdon
.:LOLLY:.
Flyologist
jeffcpr
half fast
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PSI guage recommendations Empty PSI guage recommendations Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have the colorado pontoon with the halkey roberts type valve. My instructions clearly state not to exceed 2.5 psi. I would like to get a guage, but want to make sure and get one that is decent with the right adapter. And I am a cheapskate. Any help would be appreciated.

2PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Wed May 06, 2015 9:05 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Squeeze test..... LOL sorry I don't have any idea on a good gauge but I hope some one chimes in we should be talking more about this.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun May 31, 2015 6:51 pm

Flyologist

FTFF Gathering Officer

I am wondering about the same thing myself. I have a Fish Cat 4 with Boston valve. I get by with the squezze test. Is it important to read more accurately the PSI?

4PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun May 31, 2015 7:09 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

OK guys I really want to know more about this, let get this thread going. Who else knows anything about these gauges, this is some important information we should be learning about and passing along. I think most of us use the squeeze test, but then again knowing more about using a gauge is I feel kind of important. Chime in if you know something or would like to know more. I will do some research as well.

5PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun May 31, 2015 8:02 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I also go with the squeeze test and never even thought about a gauge before. So far so good with no problems.

6PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun May 31, 2015 9:52 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Interesting thread.
I use the squeeze test too, but it needs to be adjusted to outside conditions.
For instance, if I launch at 6 AM in 68 degree water and the air temperature is in the 50's, and I know it is going to be a sunny day in the 80's or 90's later. I will leave the tube soft, like 3/4 of inch or more so I can squeeze it easily with one hand. I do this because  I know the sun will make it swell up.
I wonder how much the pressure changes in the sun.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

7PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun May 31, 2015 10:03 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This is some of the info we need to know to help us out. I know in the long run this will help people out.

8PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:43 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I hauled my boat to Iowa in a box, I have a chevy avalanche. When I came back, I had the colorado on top of the bed (plastic panels cover the pickup box). It was a warm sunny day and about a 2 hour drive. I stopped a couple of times to deflate the pontoons, I can see that they will expand to tight (squeeze test) in about an hour in the sun. Made it home ok, but I would not drive long distance with the boat on the back without checking/deflating the pontoons on a sunny day.

9PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:14 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Jerdon and I think along the same lines........it's about air temp for me, Cumberland being a dark color. One thing I do is glance at the seams as the temp goes up. Some days I will kick in and release air, because the thread on the seams is pulling on the material. Pinch at the start, check the seams during the day............GT

10PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:22 am

tuna4me

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Good question.

I have always used the squeeze test with no problems.
I have also always wondered what actual pressure is.

I need to run up to Carson City Nevada in about a week to pick something up.

I will scrounge up some low pressure gauges and figure out adapter to fit tube valve.

Will take tube and do some measurements along the way.

My house is 500 ft elevation, highest point going to Carson City is Conway Summit 8100 ft.

I always start my Lake Crowley trips with tube about 1/2 full at home and at Crowley I just have to add a little air. I still stop at Bishop and check before going up Sherwin Summit as I believe temp causes more pressure than altitude.

I checked Outcast website and is says my Prowler should be inflated to 1.8 PSI

11PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:41 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Cool man I will be looking for your report on pressure test thanks for doing this.

12PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

squeeze test is the best. and with the toon you need to understand you are going to be pushing down on it with the frame so not super hard but not squishy. youll find the correct amount. its not science, well crazy science.

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

13PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:36 am

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

A great subject indeed! I have explored this one with probably too much detail. But a fishing buddy popped his tube last year and so I delved into 'Float Tube Pressure' research. My findings;

Due to different sizes and numbers of bladders I will just use an average pressure of 2.5 psi to illustrate my point.

Air pressure will change by 2% for every 10deg Fahrenheit. This equates to .05psi. It doesn't seem like much, but it actually is when your only working with 2.5psi.

In order to work with this you would need a low pressure gauge, one that reads 1-5 psi with increments of 8-10. This is important as you can't measure it if you can't gauge it.

Keep in mind there are going to be various temps to consider. Ambient, direct sunlight and cool down from the water.

Example: I inflate my tube to 2.5 psi in the Man Cave with an ambient temp of 70deg. When I move it outside to the back of the truck, the outside ambient temp is 90 deg. This will now increase the tube pressure to 2.6 psi. It's also direct sunlight so add another 2% and the increase in psi is up to 2.65 psi.

This may not seem like much but it is 6% of the rated pressure! It is only a slight fluctuation on the gauge but it can be measured. Other factors that come into play are the compression from your weight trying to push the tube under water and the temp of the water! However, these factors are considered in the design and should be negligible when used at the recommended pressure.

To measure or monitor this you will need a low pressure gauge which will run about $40 bucks. The various hoses and fittings you need depending on your valve and adapters can run you about another $20 bucks.

My advice: Pavo21 has got it right. The squishy test may not seem very accurate or scientific but it's what I use as well. I think just knowing that the temp, and some other variables to a lesser degree, will change your tube pressure is what is important.

14PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:06 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

bigfish,
Thanks for clarifying this, that is pretty much what I suspected. A 30 degree change in temperature will make huge difference.

15PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:16 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Great info bro thanks for sharing and doing all that I might look for that low pressure gauge but I to will rely on the squeeze test.

16PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Fishy Fingers

FTFF Gathering Officer

I found this after reading this thread.

17PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Fishy Fingers WTG!
19 bucks is more like it!

Thanks for sharing.

18PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:17 pm

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey, that's a good find. I didn't know they sold one. I really like that it comes with adapters. I think I'm gonna buy a couple. Got a friend that has popped his tube twice! And of course... one for Very Happy me.

19PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:46 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thank you Fishy Fingers! Exactly what I was looking for.

20PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:44 am

tuna4me

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Air pressure, Temperature and Altitude

DISCLAIMER
This is for entertainment only.

I did a road trip to Carson City Nev, left on June 21st.
Took my Prowler along to take some readings.

Used a good 0 to 5 psi gauge and a good indoor/outdoor thermometer.

Tube was in the bed of my truck. I have a shell on the truck which is carpeted on the inside, plus the bed has a carpet kit.

At each stop I measured Tube pressure and took a Temp reading of the back of my truck shell next to tube. Thermometer was in back of shell never in direct sunlight.
I also took note of outside air temp with the thermometer on the dash of my truck. Did this to find out how hot shell gets compared to outside temp.

So not to damage my Prowler, I would vent excess pressure as needed back to the factory 2.5 lbs

I just inflated main tube not seat or floor as I wanted to keep it simple.
Weather was hot throughout the trip.

House.......600 ft....... Air temp 82...... Shell temp  82...... 2.5 psi

Mojave....2700 ft....... Air temp 90...... Shell temp 102......4.2 psi

20 degree temp increase and 2100 ft elevation gain with 1.7 psi gain.
reset to 2.5 psi

Coso Junction.....3300 ft.....Air temp 100.....Shell temp 112.....3.1 psi
reset  to 2.5 psi

Lone Pine...........3700 ft.....Air temp 100.....Shell temp 112.....2.9 psi

elevation gain of  400 ft with a .4 psi gain.
reset to 2.5 psi

Bishop................4100 ft.....Air temp 94.......Shell temp 108.....2.5 psi

400 ft elevation gain with 4 degrees cooler pressure stayed at 2.5 psi.

Sherwin Summit...7000 ft......Air temp 82.......Shell temp 108....3.5 psi

Shell temp same as Bishop
2900 elevation gain for a 1 psi gain.
reset to 2.5 lb

Stayed in Mammoth that night and Wife and I fly fished Crowley next day with guide buddy.

The night before I had reset tube to 2.5 psi at Sherwin summit (same elevation as Crowley). The shell temp was 108.

That morning at 6am air temp was 49 and shell temp was 52 and Tube was  1.4 psi.
So 56 degree shell temp difference (cooler) dropped tube pressure by half over night.

Left the Tube at the 1.4 psi.
Left the truck in the sun at Crowley from that morning till 3pm.
Shell temp was 112 and pressure was 2.8 at 3pm.

Very cool results as pressure doubled during day just as it dropped by half overnight. To me this meant my gauge was pretty accurate.

If I would have filled tube that morning to 2.5 psi at 52 degrees it would have been 5 psi that afternoon when shell was 112 degrees.

This was good knowledge as on my trips I tube, boat fish and drive. I have always vented pressure down when tube was going to be sitting in truck during hot days but never realized how hot my shell got and how much that increased tube pressure.

Next morning reset tube to 2.5 at Crowley

Crowley lake.........7000 ft.....Air temp 45.....Shell temp 45......2.5 psi

Conway Summit.....8100 ft.....Air temp 55.....Shell temp 64......3.4 psi

I added up the pressure that I vented and came up with 4.6 psi vented.
The 4.6 plus the original 2.5 psi equals 7.1 psi.

End of readings as I needed to deflate Tube to make room in back of truck.

Altitude increases Tube pressure but air temp really increases Tube pressure.
Hope you enjoyed this.

I iwill be going back up to Crowley to tube in about a month.
I will try and get some readings under fishing conditions.
Curious to see Crowley cold am temps,hot pm temps and what the water temp on tube does to pressure.

21PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:58 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

tuna4me great report!

Scientific proof and measurements of what we suspected.
Thanks for taking the time.

22PSI guage recommendations Empty Re: PSI guage recommendations Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:29 am

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

That's some great data. It clearly shows the importance of pressure monitoring and adjustments. I'll be looking forward to your data in regards to how water temp effects pressure.

Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum