FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fish Finder question

+2
Tony G Fishing
fatfingers
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fish Finder question Empty Fish Finder question Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:04 am

fatfingers

fatfingers
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

hey guys i just purchased a Humminbird PiranhaMAX 153 Dual Beam Fishfinder at sports chalet for $20 but sadley have to return it because its not starting up. my question is what do you guys use or recommend for me to purchase? jocolor

2Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

I purchased my 160 Piranha Max there too and it worked fine...those are some good finders fatfingers...there cheap and they do the job, i highly recommend them......good for showing structure u know....

Tony G

3Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:43 pm

fatfingers

fatfingers
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Well Fishingdachronarch201E7 I ended up returning it because I had to pay for shipping and handling and for repairs. I figured at that point I might as well get something better.

4Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

fatfingers wrote:Well Fishingdachronarch201E7 I ended up returning it because I had to pay for shipping and handling and for repairs. I figured at that point I might as well get something better.

for sure bro, good luck on getting one...humminbird are good for the price, might want to try craigslist.... Thumbs Up

5Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:11 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Craigslist is always a great place to find good deals, check it out also try OfferUp its an app on smartphones.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:20 pm

fatfingers

fatfingers
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Right on guys thank you for the info. Any models in particular. Under $150 is my budget

7Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:31 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Can't beat the Lowrance Elite-3X. Color screen, $99, and comes with Transducer. Plug 'n play. You just need a mount for it.

8Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:46 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dam there is a killer find.

9Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:18 am

fatfingers

fatfingers
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

thanks filippodg i guess theirs a reason why its the number one seller. i think i just might do that. how easy is it to use its my first time buying one

10Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:10 am

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Np. Glad I could help. Smile

Honestly, all of these basic FFs are just plng 'n play. Yes, you could mess w/ the settings a bit more but there isn't too much to it. Just mount, turn it on, and it'll start reading. You'll mainly be paying attention to depth and structure. Structure is the most important one and with time you'll memorize your favorite spots and won't even need your FF anymore at those locations. I now take mine only to places I've never been to.

There's no need to spend $200 for a basic FF that does the same thing the Elite does. I'll spend more for one that has true image capabilities (like an x-ray) where it literally scans the bottom and you can see all sort of details, like the Garmin Echo 551dv ($250).

Here's a quick intro to the Elite 3x: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And here's more info: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just save $, learn how to "read" it, and upgrade in the future. Smile

11Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:00 am

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Btw, you'll need a battery. If you viewed the 2nd video I posted, you'll see a huge battery that you can buy from Walmart. Skip that. It's too big and heavy.

Look at this instead: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You don't have to make it so fancy and include a power switch too (your FF's power button will do just that). Just buy the same battery, drill a hole, get the cable out, and fill the hole with regular silicone; that will seal it nicely. Store your box/battery in your float tube pocket and connect the cable to your FF. Done.

Walmart sells a watertight box for $12 (I believe I paid $7 in store). [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know these small batteries can be found at Home Depot.

All in all, about $30 for a custom battery setup. Smile

12Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:45 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is some great information tha ks very much for sharing.

13Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:57 am

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Smile

Here's the battery: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

14Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:54 pm

fatfingers

fatfingers
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thank you guys so much for the help. I really appreciate it. I will be taking your advice and purchasing the elite. I have my homework cut out.

15Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 pm

fatfingers

fatfingers
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

would it be worth it to pay the extra $29 for the Elite-3x DSI

16Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:12 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

In my opinion, yes! Especially for $30. With DSI (DownScan Imaging), you go from a "video game" looking screen to a more realistic image (x-ray) of what's right below you -- can't beat that! You'll be able to distinguish every structure (trees, rocks, etc.), in real detail, from real fish to live bait.

Or spend the extra $150 and get the Garmin Echo 551dv ($250 -- 5" color screen) and you'll be set for a very, very long time! Smile But even with the Elite you'll be set for a long time, until you wanna spend serious cash on a multi-functional FF. You'll be happy either way.

17Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:12 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I'm considering a finder as well.  Originally, I planned on a finder/plotter to keep track of spots on lakes since water levels have changed so much in recent years (the lakes will look much different when they get filled back up.)  When fishing the local harbors, it's nice having a buddy that knows the one I go to most, as well as using multiple landmarks he tells me to look for.  It is good enough for now.  But, I can see having water temps and being able to see drop offs as a major benefit.  By the way, he uses a Fishin Buddy 120. Compact, simple, AA battery powered, side finding, convenient and portable all-in-one solution but, not color - doesn't seem like a big deal though.    

filippodg wrote:Np. Glad I could help. Smile

Honestly, all of these basic FFs are just plng 'n play. Yes, you could mess w/ the settings a bit more but there isn't too much to it. Just mount, turn it on, and it'll start reading. You'll mainly be paying attention to depth and structure. Structure is the most important one and with time you'll memorize your favorite spots and won't even need your FF anymore at those locations. I now take mine only to places I've never been to.

There's no need to spend $200 for a basic FF that does the same thing the Elite does. I'll spend more for one that has true image capabilities (like an x-ray) where it literally scans the bottom and you can see all sort of details, like the Garmin Echo 551dv ($250).

Here's a quick intro to the Elite 3x: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And here's more info: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just save $, learn how to "read" it, and upgrade in the future. Smile

filippodg - would you happen to know the current draw on the 3x?  Neither links nor Lowrance's own literature specify it.  I think it could help in selecting a proper battery for run time and maybe selecting a battery on physical size.  Keeping this link handy for reference:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

fatfingers wrote:would it be worth it to pay the extra $29 for the Elite-3x DSI

filippodg wrote:In my opinion, yes! Especially for $30. With DSI (DownScan Imaging), you go from a "video game" looking screen to a more realistic image (x-ray) of what's right below you -- can't beat that! You'll be able to distinguish every structure (trees, rocks, etc.), in real detail, from real fish to live bait.

Or spend the extra $150 and get the Garmin Echo 551dv ($250 -- 5" color screen) and you'll be set for a very, very long time! Smile But even with the Elite you'll be set for a long time, until you wanna spend serious cash on a multi-functional FF. You'll be happy either way.

Please correct me if I am wrong, the 3x DSI only has down scan imaging and no sonar view.  I'm still learning but as far as I understand, while DSI will have a clearer representation of the structure, it will not have the accuracy, of sonar, in identifying fish.  I am still reseaching the PirahnaMAX 197 DI which I believe has both views and comes in at your proposed budget.  But, I do like the ability to view V in the display of the 3x, something I do not think the PirahnaMAX has or maybe something I overlooked.

I'm hoping for Christmas that all the finders come out with a little larger screen (heck, cell phones have bigger, clearer screens.)  Would be nice to see bluetooth connectivity to my phone, unless smartwatches become more water resistant or waterproof.  (I know, I know.  Phones off when fishing.  It's like a 2-stroke penalty or having to buy drinks after the round if your phone rings in the middle of a backswing on the tee. Evil or Very Mad )

18Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:42 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Hey chipmcd,

3x Power consumption: I don't know, but Lowrance's website says ".75A - Normal use and backlight on." More info here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The battery I provided the link for previously, the one from Home Depot, should run the Elite for a very long time. My buddy is using that very same battery for his 5" Garmin and after 3 hours on the water he's down to 98% available battery. Could fish for 3+ days straight without a recharge.

DSI: It does have a clearer representation of the structure and fish and live bait as well. Google "Downscan imaging" and click on Images. Pretty detailed scans.

I'm currently using my Fishin Buddy 140, color version, and I like it OK. It's very basic. It's in great condition but I'm thinking of selling it. They stopped producing it, so we'll see, I might keep it. The side finding is a joke and I never pay attention to fish on the screen. It's not that accurate of a FF to detect fish IMO. I just use it for structure and depth and I like it's portability (there's nothing to assemble once the batteries are in). If I care to "see" fish, I'd go with a FF that has DSI.

19Fish Finder question Empty Re: Fish Finder question Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:05 am

NorCrossMarine

NorCrossMarine
FTFF Gathering Officer

I know I am new to the site and all but just figured I would chime in about the fish finder issue. I believe having a huge battery on your float tube would be such a hassle. Our sister company HawkEye Electronics has 3 new handheld fish finders that would be perfect. They run off 4 AAA batteries and include the transducer. They are called the FishTrax series.

The FishTrax 1 is the basic ICON Display, the FishTrax 1X is a Dot Matrix display with dual frequency and 10-level sensitivity. The FishTrax 1C is the HD Color Display with 100-level 100-level sensitivity adjustment, multi-level depth ranges, and auto-zoom bottom tracking that intensifies prey targeting. There are two operating frequencies (200 kHx and 83 kHz) to fine tune sonar readings in shallow or deep water. They were a huge hit at ICAST this year, but will not be available until Nov. this year.

http://www.norcrossmarine.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum