FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Today at 9:25 am

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Roll and snake roll casts from the float tube?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jason.seaward

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi everyone,
Thought I would ask here, with all the experience and knowledge.

Being somewhat new to fly fishing and float tubing, I was curious about people's experience with casts in a float tube. I was wondering if people stick to overhead casts or do people use roll casts or snake roll casts from a float tube. Once it warms up in Canada and the snow is gone, I am looking forward to trying different casts on stillwater.

Also, I am assuming that longer rods would be better for this. I have been looking at short glass rods, but assume it would make it more of a challenge to cast/roll cast from a float tube with the short rod.

Thanks!
Jason

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Are we talking fly fishing if so I have done some of this from my tube but never tried the roll cast. I would stick to the over head cast. As for regular rods, I use rods from 6' to 8' I kind of use to longer rods from my tube. Only concern when it come to cast a regular rod for me is where my rod rack positions my other rods. I have caught the tips of my other rods before kind of embarrassing Embarassed

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

supsurfer

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hi Jason,
I'm no expert, but I can tell you what I do.
I am mostly tube fly fishing in salt (bay bass/halibut) and trout in sierra lakes. Most of those situations are subsurface down to 20' using sink tip line with integrated intermediate running line, using weighed streamers or baitfish patterns. With that setup the only time I would use a roll type cast is immediately after retrieving my fly back in and I'm ready to make a new cast. The roll cast is useful for me to make sure that my line and leader is straighten and near the surface of the water. After that, it's an overhead backcast slightly tilted to the side with a haul, a forward cast with a haul, back cast with a haul, and the final forward cast with a haul shooting line out. Each false cast you would shoot a little line out and shoot the majority of the line on the final fwd cast. Since we're in a tube and low to the water your fly and line may touch the water. I use this to my advantage, and let the fly and leader touch down very briefly to help load the rod (called a "water haul"). It may not seem like it would help much, but over the span of a day it helps save the arm if you are throwing weighted flies like I mostly do.
If your using floating line you may use the roll cast more, but you probably won't get the distance you want with just a roll cast, being low on the water from the tube.

From the tube I like longer fly rods nine and a half or ten foot. It makes a big difference with helping with leverage and using the rod unflexing to assist with the cast. Also to help keep line off the water. Disadvantage to the longer rod is landing larger fish. A slightly more flexible rod will help here. Also a telescoping handled net will help.

As Jeff said, give consideration to which side of the tube your "attachments" are. I have my rod rack on the left side and low to the water.

I have found that most any fly rod will work out and you will adapt.
Hope that helps.

jason.seaward

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks everyone! Exactly what I was looking for! I was curious about the use of roll casts, and it makes sense as a set up for an overhead cast.
I have a vintage glass rod, at about 7.5 feet, which might be too short for float tubing. I will have to try in the spring!
thanks
Jason

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Jason,  Just to let you know,  I periodically use my old fiberglass Fenwick flyrod (FF60) that is just 6 feet long on my float tube, and it casts great.  Of course it is a rod made to use on small streams, but I like using it for the various panfish when they are in shallow water.  I don't get real long casts with it, because it's a short rod, but when you are in a float tube long casts are necessary. What fiberglass rod are you using?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum