FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Island Grissom Revisited

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Island Grissom Revisited Empty Island Grissom Revisited Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:45 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Not long after getting my tube, I went to Island Grissom for the first time and basically the fish laughed me out of the water. I had one hookup early on and then went five hours without a bite. It was pathetic.

I landed a small sandie about 20 yards off the beach as I was getting out, so not technically a skunk, but pretty humiliating nonetheless. It was a good wake up call.

Today I had a 27 fish total with 7 different species, including two white sea bass! Today I rocked Island Grissom!

1 lizard fish, 2 spotties, 2 mackerel, 8 sandies, 10 calicos, 2 halibut and 2 small white sea bass. One of the barred sand bass was a personal best. What a day! Long Beach inshore fishing delivers!

I also saw two tubers out there. I've seen 'yakers before, but this was the first time I've seen tubers. Welcome my brothers!

However, I disagree with the way they were fishing it. They were standing off the island and casting towards the shore. I think it's too hard to get right into the edge of the kelp without getting hung up that way. It's a good way to lose lures.

Float tubes are *perfect* for sitting right on top of the kelp in close and that way you can cast out to the sandy bottom where the halibut and sand bass live,  and then work in to the edge of the kelp where the calicos and spotties are. You can see where the kelp is and work your bait into it but not onto it.

Of course, you have to get over the "kelp on my legs!!!" heebie geebies. The first time some kelp brushed against my bare legs, I jumped and freaked a little. And you have to wear fins that are very secure as the kelp will pull them off if you're not careful. But now I'm over being bothered by the kelp. I've gotten to the point where I will deliberately twist my leg around a kelp frond and use it as an anchor. It's no big deal.

So I think fishing from a spot wrapped up in the kelp is the way to go, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

Fished various sizes and colors of Hookup Baits all day. They all worked. 20 lb braid with 12lb fluorocarbon leader.

Here are some highlights - left out a number of dinks.

Happy fishing everyone!

2Island Grissom Revisited Empty Re: Island Grissom Revisited Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:12 am

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Very productive day Bob. Loved the vid. Couple of juvy white sea bass in the mix. Nice. Congrats on your new pb sandie.

3Island Grissom Revisited Empty Re: Island Grissom Revisited Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:01 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thumbs Up nice work buddy

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Island Grissom Revisited Empty Re: Island Grissom Revisited Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:04 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Congrzatz on the PB!!
I too think working the edges of weed-lines and structure that is hard for shore fisherman to reach is where the tube excels. 

Thanks for sharing.

5Island Grissom Revisited Empty Re: Island Grissom Revisited Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks guys!  That first WSB pulled hard! I was surprised that it wasn't bigger judging by the fight. I can only imagine what a big one would be like!

The only bad thing about Grissom is the 300+ yard hike across the sand from the parking lot to the beach! Sucks when you're coming in tired at the end of the day. I caught both halibut in the place where I once hooked a giant fish and lost it, so I'm convinced I'm going to catch a legal there one day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum