FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» New landing net I just landed
by Troutbum Today at 9:15 am

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leg and foot cramps..not fun

+3
jeffcpr
Jerdon
Komori Jeff
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Leg and foot cramps..not fun Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I don't know why this happens, and It probably happens to other 'tubers, but every once in a while as I'm kicking along in my FishCat I'll get a bad cramp in the back of one of my thighs between my butt and my knee. These are also known as a "Charlie Horse".  (In Finland it's called "a woody".. Ha ha!)  I've also got cramps in the arch or bottom of my feet that really hurt and makes my toes curl, but I think this is when I have not used my fins for a while and my foot muscles are not used to the flexing needed to power the long pull-on Proflex fins that I use.  As far as I know there's not much you can do for the pain in your legs when you are out on a float tube except to just wait it out.  I had it so bad one time that all I could do was to kick with my other leg and try not to go in circles!
Does anyone else get these terrible cramps and if so what do YOU do about them?  Is there something I should take, drink or eat before I go out?  I do drink lots of water, so thats not the problem.  I also eat a banana before I go out for the potassium.  Someone said to drink quinine water, and another guy said to take a teaspoonful of yellow mustard to stop the cramps immediately!  Huh?..

2Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I have not had leg cramps, but certainly the foot fatigue and cramps. This often happens after I change from my Force Fins to the lager Omega fins. I need to limit my trips in the Omega fins till I build up the muscles in the calf/foot area once the water cools and I put back on my waders. (My force fins do not fit over my waders)
You are right about plenty of water and the banana, I eat a banana the night before sometimes as well as the morning of a trip.

More workouts brother.

3Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have had my fair share of cramps over the years. I drink water and eat bananas as well. I would sta eat the bananas the night before to allow for the potassium to get in your body. Also maybe try stretching a little before you get in the water. Just be sure to lightly warm up before you stretch.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Muscle fatigue is no doubt the ultimate source of the problem, and there are a lot of minerals used by the body to regulate muscle function. I would try adding a few almonds to that banana snack as they are high in magnesium, another mineral used in muscle regulation that is often poorly represented in people's diets.

The only instant remedy I can think of that might help recovery is electrolytes - a good old sports drink.

5Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:56 pm

SiRRoM

SiRRoM
FTFF Gathering Officer

Hello everyone! New to the forum and new to float tubing (2 sessions already, LAB & HBH). I've gotten those cramps also behind the thighs and thought it was because my shorts where riding up and cutting off my circulation. The info here helps a bunch! Gonna eat more bananas, almonds, and stretch!

6Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:09 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Welcome SiRRoM glad we can help.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Just ran across an advert for this stuff - first product I've ever seen targeting cramps specifically.

8Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks Bob, but at almost $6.00 for a 1.7 oz bottle (and you have to buy a six-pack), I'll pass on the "Hotshot"! And who knows what negative effects it has on your body. I'll eat a banana, a spoonful of mustard and drink lots of water before I go out float tubing.

9Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Sorry but I can't figure out how to post a link but I got some leg cramp pills from CVS that work great. Hyland Leg Cramps PM Nighttime Cramp Relief Tablets $10.99. When I feel a cramp coming on at work, I take 2 tablets. If I get a cramp, 2 or 3 will stop the cramp in about 5 to 10 minutes. The instructions say to take 1 to 3 tablets.

10Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

kobra - I think I saw those there at the drugstore. But my "Charlie Horse" thigh cramps only last for maybe 20 minutes or so. By the time I took a pill and it got digested, the terrible cramp would be going away or gone. Maybe if I took a couple pills before going out and kicking around in the cooler water..

11Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Komori - as long as the cramps don't come back, I would think you can do without taking any meds. When I get a cramp in my leg they tend to reoccure, especially with some strenuous kicking.

12Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:13 pm

branders

branders
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I am currently working on starting a new company/product that will take the cramp away instantly. Its 100% all natural. As soon as my licencing comes in I can tell you all about it. If you would like to meet up with us when we go out fishing I can give you a bottle.

13Leg and foot cramps..not fun Empty Re: Leg and foot cramps..not fun Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 pm

branders

branders
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Ornery Bob wrote:Muscle fatigue is no doubt the ultimate source of the problem, and there are a lot of minerals used by the body to regulate muscle function. I would try adding a few almonds to that banana snack as they are high in magnesium, another mineral used in muscle regulation that is often poorly represented in people's diets.

The only instant remedy I can think of that might help recovery is electrolytes - a good old sports drink.

Bob is 100% right! Magnesium is the key. salute

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum