FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phones on tubes?

+4
Litefoot
jeffcpr
GT
Ornery Bob
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Phones on tubes? Empty Phones on tubes? Thu May 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

How do you deal with your phone when on your tube?
I'm usually a generation or three behind the times when it comes to phones and too fumble fingered to take good pictures, so mine generally goes into a clear dry sack and stays in a side pocket.
But my new cam has WiFi controls that run on a phone app, so I'm going to be using the phone more and I'm wondering what you guys do in the way of phone protection, if any?

Obviously, almost everyone here takes phone pics of fish, which to me, means saltwater wet hands. So, do you do anything to protect your phone from wet hands? Do you have a case you recommend?

2Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Thu May 03, 2018 12:56 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

95% of all the pics I take are from my Samsung S5. I have dropped it into the salt and fresh , and it keeps on. Had an Otter case, it broke, now I have a Greenbay Packers cover, a winner.........I just wipe it down every know and then with alcohol. Its like anything else, you get a pattern of what it takes to get a photo. I have bought 2 remote cameras, neither one of them work properly, one not at all. I get good quality pics with the phone.....I'm good......GT

3Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Thu May 03, 2018 2:48 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Personally, I use a ziplock bag as I no longer have a pocket on my chest since I use wader pants now. I am going to be watching this as I am looking for a good cheap cellphone pouch thanks for posting OB

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Thu May 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Bob mine hit the salt water at HH it didn't make it get a cheep used phone and switch the sim card out when you go fishing it works

5Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Thu May 03, 2018 9:45 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Bob,

I use a underwater camera for my pic's and I use my tethered iPhone X inside the pouch
of my Cumberland; named STITCH, as my Bluetooth connected Deeper Pro+ FF screen.

My phone is also water resistant like GT's.

So ... I recommend getting a water proof / resistant phone.

I hope this helps a bit.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

6Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Fri May 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I used to do the ziplock thing, then I got something like this off of Amazon.  works well for me.  All the pics you've seen of my catches were taken from my phone while in this pouch.  I can still use the touch screen and talk on the phone with the pouch on.  The only hassle is using the buttons on the side - the pouch makes it a little clumsy.  Other than that I like it.

If you get one, test the seal by putting tissue in the pouch, then dunking in water for 5-10 minutes.  The tissue will let you know if the seal is good.

7Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Fri May 04, 2018 6:48 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Wonka Weeyaga wrote:I used to do the ziplock thing, then I got something like this off of Amazon.  works well for me.  All the pics you've seen of my catches were taken from my phone while in this pouch.  I can still use the touch screen and talk on the phone with the pouch on.  The only hassle is using the buttons on the side - the pouch makes it a little clumsy.  Other than that I like it.

If you get one, test the seal by putting tissue in the pouch, then dunking in water for 5-10 minutes.  The tissue will let you know if the seal is good.

Thanks that is good to know.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Fri May 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks for the replys!

Yeah, I've been using the same sort of pouch. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I really will only need to look at the phone occasionally anyway.

I'm not really mo2vated to put a mount on the tube for it... yet. Very Happy

Now that the waders are stowed away for the summer, I'm missing the pocket, so I got a waterproof hip pack that I can fasten around my chest for a summertime "pocket" and the phone will go in there.

Next time I get a phone, I will definitely get one that is water resistant.

9Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Sat May 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I bring a cheap phone and Samsung camera with me that I keep sealed inside 2 double ziplock bags and in a side pocket on my FishCat 'tube. I only fish freshwater, so I don't have to worry about the corrosive salt thing.

10Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Sat May 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ornery Bob wrote:Thanks for the replys!

Yeah, I've been using the same sort of pouch. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I really will only need to look at the phone occasionally anyway.

I'm not really mo2vated to put a mount on the tube for it... yet.  Very Happy

Now that the waders are stowed away for the summer, I'm missing the pocket, so I got a waterproof hip pack that I can fasten around my chest for a summertime "pocket" and the phone will go in there.

Next time I get a phone, I will definitely get one that is water resistant.

DO IT!!!!   Razz  Razz  Razz

After three days in the Sierras on a windy lake with a fly rod, I've now added a tether... just in case.  The phone doesn't move from this mount... its solid.  And its a Samsung (graduated from iPhone long ago...   Rolling Eyes ) the water resistance is great.  I use the phone to monitor and control my cam... so I've always got my wet hands all over it all the time.  No issues.

But still, I did wrap line around the dash a time or three.  So the tether makes me feel better about having it out there.

-K

11Phones on tubes? Empty Re: Phones on tubes? Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks!

I've experimented with where I put things on the tube and I don't like anything on the right hand side. I like to be able to rest my arm on the top of the pocket and let my rod stick out in front of me while I troll. If it was important to me, I would find a way, but it isn't for now and I don't really have room for the mount.

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about anything I'm doing on the water that isn't directly fishing. I originally shot some video, on a lark, of me doing some dock fishing and I enjoyed the editing and being able to relive the experience, so when I got the tube, I always knew I was going to shoot video. The main thing I like about it is that mostly I don't have to think about it. It runs, I fish. If I catch something, I show it to the camera and it's all very easy. The only drawback is that I have to keep track of the time and change batteries every hour and a half and sometimes I forget. It only takes a few minutes to change batteries, but sometimes I resent even those few minutes. Especially if the bite is on!

Heck, I don't even like taking the time to measure fish on a bump board. Once the fish is in the net, I get them unhooked as fast as possible, admire them for a few seconds, show them to the video, and back in the water. Easy Peasy.

I take a bump board with me for one reason... halibut. The only fish I care enough about being legal size to measure. Haven't needed it yet, but always optimistic.

Thanks again for the comment and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your videos!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum