FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fishing in the Bay (first time)

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fishing in the Bay (first time) Empty Fishing in the Bay (first time) Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 am

rayprado714

rayprado714
FTFF Gathering Officer

Good morning everyone,

I've been float tubing lakes for the last 3-4 years never any issues love my Cumberland.. I've got some buddies that want to go out and float tube around balboa island in newport. I see a lot of you guys fish the bay I've always been weery of it just because i feel its more dangerous with there being bigger animals and fish being more spikey and I always think a shark or sea lion is going to bite my foot lol the odds of that happening i guess are very rare but does anyone have any tips or recommendations on gear for a first timer going to the bay

2Fishing in the Bay (first time) Empty Re: Fishing in the Bay (first time) Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:36 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hi ya rayprado714,

My first bit of advice would be ..... always fish with an experienced FT fishing buddy if possible
2nd ... Always wear your PFD and have a emergency whistle on you
3rd ... Strategize your fishing route according to the tides and the winds
4th ... CPR (capture, photograph & release) you catches, don't give the seals a reason
And lastly ... many of us FT fish in all of the harbors and I've never heard of any life endangering incidents occurring.

Oh ... and most importantly [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... have lots of fun and catch lots of fish. Don't forget to take pic's!

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

3Fishing in the Bay (first time) Empty Re: Fishing in the Bay (first time) Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Very NICE there is some body to go with just ask cheers

4Fishing in the Bay (first time) Empty Re: Fishing in the Bay (first time) Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Hi Ray. I think your concerns are normal. Virtually everyone I know aside from people on this forum feels the same way, so you're in good company. Very Happy

Everyone always asks about sharks. But you're right, the odds aren't just in your favor, there are no odds. No California float tuber has ever been bitten by a shark. In fact, no California swimmers have ever been bitten inside a harbor or bay in all the time records have been kept. Take from that what you like, but for me, it's a non-issue.

I've encountered seals many times. They rarely show any interest in me at all. I had one once that was passing by and he came within a couple of feet of me and gave me a look over and then swam on. He was big and had a presence and I was intimidated a bit, but it was more of a quick thrill than anything else. I had one show up on my underwater cam once on a day that I never saw any seals. Ive never personally had one steal a fish, but it wouldn't surprise me, or even really alarm me. I think you'd have to work pretty hard to piss off a seal enough for him to mess with you at all.

As for spiky fish, I personally use a net to get the fish under control quickly and safely. I've been poked by a dorsal spine, but it's a rare occurrence and while not fun, it wasn't a big deal either.

I hope that helps with your concerns, because once you try it, I think you will like the salt. It's a little like river fishing where the tidal flow acts like the river current.

Good luck and let's us know how it goes!

5Fishing in the Bay (first time) Empty Re: Fishing in the Bay (first time) Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:50 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

shark or sea lion???

Hell, this is summer.  You ought to be more worried about the idiot behind the wheel with  the throttle in one hand and a Corona in the other! affraid

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum