FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

1/24/19 Huntington Harbor + HUB question

+2
SP Dan
Wperkins2
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11/24/19 Huntington Harbor + HUB question Empty 1/24/19 Huntington Harbor + HUB question Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Wperkins2

Wperkins2
FTFF Gathering Officer

Today I had a couple of hours to fish so I took the tube out to Huntington Harbor and landed three fish. Today was my first time trying Hook Up Baits, and I found it to be a success. The HUB I used was the 3/8 oz large size glow green HUB. I got a couple of bites and reeled in 1 spotty with it. I also caught another spotty and a smelt on a small fluke. After fishing, I went and bought a package of the medium size 1/4 oz HUB. I was wondering if any of you had any advice on how to fish the HUB? What are your favorite retrieves with it? Thanks in advance!
-Will[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SP Dan

SP Dan

First of all ... congratulations on catching fish on a new type of bait, it’s always good to switch up baits as a general practice.
I found that the fish will hit that bait at just about any presentation that you can imagine. Whether it’s on the drop, or retrieve, the cast and dead man, the bumps, the slow drags along the bottom and the hard jerks!  It all works most of the time!

Use every cast presentation that you know of and let us know which ones you found to be most successful for you.  
You need to pay attention to which way the fish want it presented to them during those particular conditions of that day and you will have success!

Don’t leave fish to find fish!

Thank you for the great question,

SP Dan    <“))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So for me with the HUB I will cast of let it hit the bottom (watch it on the drop as that is when you will get some stricks).  Once on the bottom, I will Pop it up with a quick rod tip movement, then slow retrieve back.  Sometimes on the retrieve back I will stop and let it hit the bottom again.  If it is a tough bite I will just reel it in slow maintaining contact with the bottom.  There are a lot of different ways to fish these but these are the 2 methods I choose, I am sure more will offer there 2 cents as well soon.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Wperkins2

Wperkins2
FTFF Gathering Officer

SP Dan wrote:First of all ... congratulations on catching fish on a new type of bait, it’s always good to switch up baits as a general practice.
I found that the fish will hit that bait at just about any presentation that you can imagine. Whether it’s on the drop, or retrieve, the cast and dead man, the bumps, the slow drags along the bottom and the hard jerks!  It all works most of the time!

Use every cast presentation that you know of and let us know which ones you found to be most successful for you.  
You need to pay attention to which way the fish want it presented to them during those particular conditions of that day and you will have success!

Don’t leave fish to find fish!

Thank you for the great question,

SP Dan    <“))><

Great, I will try a little bit of everything until I find what works next time out! Thanks for your advice!!

Will

Wperkins2

Wperkins2
FTFF Gathering Officer

jeffcpr wrote:So for me with the HUB I will cast of let it hit the bottom (watch it on the drop as that is when you will get some stricks).  Once on the bottom, I will Pop it up with a quick rod tip movement, then slow retrieve back.  Sometimes on the retrieve back I will stop and let it hit the bottom again.  If it is a tough bite I will just reel it in slow maintaining contact with the bottom.  There are a lot of different ways to fish these but these are the 2 methods I choose, I am sure more will offer there 2 cents as well soon.

I will definitely give these retrieves a try next time out! Thanks Jeffcpr!

Will

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I discuss how I fish with HUBs and HUB-like baits on my youtube channel but in text I go like this. Cast to location and let sit for just a couple of seconds, I jig them up and slow retrieve to have it bounce along the bottom until it's not on the bottom any longer, reel in and then repeat as needed.

I have a higher success rate with Chovy, Sardine Green then Red Crab over the Glow Green or Mint but others swear by them.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

Wperkins2

Wperkins2
FTFF Gathering Officer

Alakai wrote:I discuss how I fish with HUBs and HUB-like baits on my youtube channel but in text I go like this. Cast to location and let sit for just a couple of seconds, I jig them up and slow retrieve to have it bounce along the bottom until it's not on the bottom any longer, reel in and then repeat as needed.

I have a higher success rate with Chovy, Sardine Green then Red Crab over the Glow Green or Mint but others swear by them.

Alright, I'll check out that video on Youtube. Thanks for the advice Alakai, I will give it a shot!

Will

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Wperkins2 wrote:
Alakai wrote:I discuss how I fish with HUBs and HUB-like baits on my youtube channel but in text I go like this. Cast to location and let sit for just a couple of seconds, I jig them up and slow retrieve to have it bounce along the bottom until it's not on the bottom any longer, reel in and then repeat as needed.

Alright, I'll check out that video on Youtube. Thanks for the advice Alakai, I will give it a shot!

Will

I might be heading out this Saturday morning to LAB if you want to come out. Need to check tides to see where though. Likely left (East side) of Mother's Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

WTG Wperkins2 ,
Got on the water and found some fish.

Thanks for sharing

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I fish HH most of the time for various reasons.......and I only use HUB's........no reason for any other.
Presentation is not the key in the equation as far as I am concerned, it's knowing where the fish are and then presenting your HUB. You can roam allover hell and never find the bite while others will kill it. Know your target fish, then know where he lives, then present your bait.
My presentation is 8 pound XXX Co-Polymer mono using 1/4 oz. HUB's, on a bait casting set-up, medium light rod 7' 2", to a 7 to 1 ratio bat caster. Cast, fall, take in slack to feel the tick, retrieve off bottom 2 to 3 cranks, whatever works, fall, repeat. If you get strikes and or fish stay on it until it stops. I will work a producing area for an hour or two before I decide to move on. This has taken 5, going on 6 years of fishing HH. Good luck, be patient, HUB's work........GT

SP Dan

SP Dan

GT's not kidding folk's! When he gets on the bite .... he doesn't budge an inch off that spot! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol
I'm the guy that will roam all over hell looking for fish! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Ha ha ha!

My grandson is in town this weekend so I'll just be doing a quick session close to home for a quickie!

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Wperkins2

Wperkins2
FTFF Gathering Officer

GT wrote:I fish HH most of the time for various reasons.......and I only use HUB's........no reason for any other.
Presentation is not the key in the equation as far as I am concerned, it's knowing where the fish are and then presenting your HUB. You can roam allover hell and never find the bite while others will kill it. Know your target fish, then know where he lives, then present your bait.
My presentation is 8 pound XXX Co-Polymer mono using 1/4 oz. HUB's, on a bait casting set-up, medium light rod 7' 2", to a 7 to 1 ratio bat caster. Cast, fall, take in slack to feel the tick, retrieve off bottom 2 to 3 cranks, whatever works, fall, repeat. If you get strikes and or fish stay on it until it stops. I will work a producing area for an hour or two before I decide to move on. This has taken 5, going on 6 years of fishing HH. Good luck, be patient, HUB's work........GT

Alright thanks for the great advice GT!

Will

Wperkins2

Wperkins2
FTFF Gathering Officer

SP Dan wrote:GT's not kidding folk's! When he gets on the bite .... he doesn't budge an inch off that spot! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol
I'm the guy that will roam all over hell looking for fish! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Ha ha ha!

My grandson is in town this weekend so I'll just be doing a quick session close to home for a quickie!

Lol   Very Happy  For my first 2 trips, I have definitely been a roamer too!

Will

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum