FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Today at 11:54 am

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by jeffcpr Today at 11:51 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Noob with questions

+4
Jerdon
BritishColumbiaFlyFisher
jeffcpr
landcruiserwilly
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Noob with questions Empty Noob with questions Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:42 pm

landcruiserwilly

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi Everyone,

complete noob to float tubing and looking for a tube, naturally.  I've been looking around quite a bit the last few weeks, and the idea of oars is really sticking with me.  I looked online at a couple of tubes: the caddis platinum elite and the savage gear highrider 170, both oar tubes.  the savage gear has been difficult to find, the caddis is readily available at a premium price- $500
I'd most likely be fishing lakes around western washington, with occasional trip to the bay or maybe a quiet river.  I would like to troll as well as cast flies or spinners, so would need some rod holders/storage space.  Comfort is important to me.  i'm pretty average in size, 5'11" 170lbs.  

there really are not a lot of reviews out there on this tube. I did see the thread about the caddis on here.  I did see one comment about the placement of the valves on the front of the tubes; doesn't look like a good idea to have placed them there.  

so, I would like to hear what you have to say.  do I need oars?  I think so, but i would like to hear the +/- of them.  I can see that it might be difficult to mount a rod holder to the tube due to the position of the oarlocks and the movement of the oars.  can you use the front bar to mount a rod holder?

so many questions, so little time.

Thanks,

willy

2Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:51 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Willy welcome we will help you out, Caddis is a sponsor for the forum and there Platinum Elite is still pretty new and I can say not many have it yet. It looks to be a good tube the valves in the front may not be a good spot but it would not be that big of a deal in the long run at least in my eyes.

Rod holder can be made to your needs so that will not be much of an issue. I have a tube with oars I like them but I don't use them much. On the river it might be needed but I can safely say it is not a big deal in most situations. The price point at $480 is high but you get what you pay for right. There are a lot of options out there the Caddis float tube might be a good one for you.

I will offer up the 2 that I sell as well the Maxxon XPW 239, and 240 I have both and both work great. They are big but they have a lot to offer. Just a suggestion if you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask and I am sure more will add there info as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:45 am

BritishColumbiaFlyFisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have owned a caddis tube for a while it's the Nevada gold. Replacement tubes are cheap and never had a leak yet. I looked at all the other ones But they are just a bit to heavy. Some lakes I hike into a far distance and need somthing light. I have used one like this and I am not a fan of how high I sit in the water. It makes paddling with flippers a bit more difficult. I prefer one without oars only becasue I fly fish and it's just more stuff to catch on. The flippers are all you need. Invest in good flippers not the B*>¿•*%[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] float tube flippers, diving fins are better.

But all in all caddis float tubes are great.

4Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:00 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Oars are a pain to carry, they catch on bushes, they grab your line and lures. You need to be aware of them at all times. That said, oars can help you traverse the water faster. The bigger the water the more helpful oars become.

I hope this helps

5Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:22 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome aboard Willy........I own a Savage Gear 170 and I don't use the oars at all, don't bring'm. Reason, I am 215 pounds at 6 foot, I sit to high in the seat. The oar handles hit the tops of my thighs causing the paddle to skiff across the water. The fulcrum needs a riser to lift the oar, then it might work, but that's me.

If you look closely, the center of the tube has it's own air valve, the chamber is about 4 inches thick, then the seat inflates depending on your comfort and adds to how high you sit

Ocuma Fishing bought rights to Savage, then dropped them. I don't know who or if anybody is selling in the US.

BTW, I will be up your way camping at Moran State Park first week in August.........GT

6Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:26 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

7Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:35 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Welcome to FTFF and I look forward to reading your first maiden voyage fishing report from your new tube.

Good luck and have fun shopping for your tube. You’re going to luv it!  Thumbs Up

Also .... “Welcome to the Darkside”.

SP Dan       <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

8Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:22 pm

landcruiserwilly

FTFF Gathering Officer

thanks for all the replies! now i am definitely rethinking the oars. how do we feel about bladders? the 2 tubes that stand out right now for me are the savage gear 150 and the cumberland. seems there are lots of cumberlands out there and their owners love them! reminds me of the cult following for Arima boats up here in the PNW. i like the idea of the high, inflatable seat of the savage, but am i overthinking again? also, the SG is heavy compared to the cumberland. the price is also a consideration; the cumberland is ~$170 and the SG is running $300.
i still haven't seen one of these in person, so i'm going off pics and reviews online.

thanks!

willy

9Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:45 pm

BritishColumbiaFlyFisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

landcruiserwilly wrote:thanks for all the replies!  now i am definitely rethinking the oars.  how do we feel about bladders?  the 2 tubes that stand out right now for me are the savage gear 150 and the cumberland.  seems there are lots of cumberlands out there and their owners love them!  reminds me of the cult following for Arima boats up here in the PNW.  i like the idea of the high, inflatable seat of the savage, but am i overthinking again?  also, the SG is heavy compared to the cumberland.  the price is also a consideration; the cumberland is ~$170 and the SG is running $300.  
i still haven't seen one of these in person, so i'm going off pics and reviews online.  

Bladders are great. I have never had a leak and always keep a spare when I go out. My friend got a leak in fishcat and his day was finished.
Get it from basspro and get gear gaurd with it!!!!!!

thanks!

willy

10Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:04 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I love the Cumberland but I like the durability of the Savage. I am 5'11'' 210lbs and only my legs below the knee are in the water ( my Cavs ) with the Cumberland. Have not ride a Savage but it looked like a great tube

11Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:23 pm

landcruiserwilly

FTFF Gathering Officer

excellent! thanks again! how about the front bar? is that structural, or just to hold the apron in place? i see lots of photos of people fishing without it in place. will it keep you from falling out of the tube? can I mount a rod holder to it? The SG looks like it is made of aluminum and is held in place with plastic brackets, the cumberland looks like it has sewn pockets.

now i'm getting pretty jazzed about it. anything else I should consider? how about fins? BCFF above suggested dive fins, as opposed to float tube fins. opinions?

willy

12Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:48 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Check out this site if you are still open to considering fins.

13Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:39 pm

landcruiserwilly

FTFF Gathering Officer

thanks, dan. i think those might be out of my tax bracket. i do like the idea though. i looked around tonight on craigslist, but didn't find anything too interesting. i'll likely keep looking and maybe pick up a cheap pair to at least try out. probably going to drop some $ on the cumberland and maybe take it for a spin this weekend. any others in the<$200 range i should consider? definitely looking for fins!

willy

14Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:05 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I use dive fins, extra lg. for water shoes. $75 new. Best fin yet, I have had 3 other pairs of fins, some more expensive, but most were uncomfortable. You may end up buying numerous pairs before you find the pair that works for you. Good luck in your quest........GT

15Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:37 am

Wilderness Lite

FTFF Gathering Officer

A key question that hasn't yet come up in this thread discussing various float tube models, "where is the float tube made"?  Highly recommend all investigate the country of origin of the float tube before making your purchase--where is the float tube actually manufactured?  It absolutely makes a difference in the ultimate quality of the float tube, and most certainly results in supporting jobs for fellow Americans, or not.

16Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:07 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Wilderness Lite wrote:A key question that hasn't yet come up in this thread discussing various float tube models, "where is the float tube made"?  Highly recommend all investigate the country of origin of the float tube before making your purchase--where is the float tube actually manufactured?  It absolutely makes a difference in the ultimate quality of the float tube, and most certainly results in supporting jobs for fellow Americans, or not.

An Excellent point to bring up!

17Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:32 pm

landcruiserwilly

FTFF Gathering Officer

i ended up with the cumberland and a pair of the outcast tube fins. took her out on a spin for a few hours yesterday. not one bite! but the tube performed well for me. I liked the high ride, my friend was in a bighorn, and he got pretty cold for a while. I stayed pretty warm except for my feet. I would guess the water temp to be somewhere in the 40s. i've been searching the forum for rod holder ideas and that will likely be my next project. still need more practice in the tube kicking around. I was feeling it this morning!

thanks for all the advice!

willy

18Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:53 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice work there

19Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:13 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Cool willy glad it went well for you more time on the water will dial you in before you know buddy. I am sure you will be hooked soon.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

20Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

WTG willy!!

You will find the tube is an evolving toy.
Enjoy

21Noob with questions Empty Re: Noob with questions Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:40 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I had a cumbie for a few years sold it to Kin and it's still floating for Kin.......enjoy, tight lines Willy.......GT

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum