FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

California Kelp Forest

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1California Kelp Forest Empty California Kelp Forest Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:49 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

CALIFORNIA KELP

A huge part of my fishing success is in understanding kelp.

Part 1
In addition to sun light, kelp forests need a constant supply of fresh nutrient-rich water to survive.

Kelp absorbs simple chemicals from the surrounding water, rich with oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus needed for growth and carbon dioxide needed for photo-synthesis.

In calm water, rapidly growing kelp would quickly deplete the nutrients in their immediate surroundings. But the motion of the currents, waves and upwelling throughout the ocean keeps the wealth of nutrients in constant circulation.

Like rivers, ocean currents push the cold, nutrient rich water through the kelp forest, replacing and carrying away the warm, nutrient-poor water.

The California Current brings cold, nutrient-rich water down from the north all the way to southern California.

During the calm, warm periods of summer, these currents move less rapidly and the growth of the giant kelp often slows down or stops completely.

Cold, nutrient-rich water does not only move along currents from North to South along the California coast. Upwelling also replaces the warm, nutrient-poor water.

Upwelling occurs when deep, cold water rises to shallower depths carrying upward the nutrient-rich decay of dead plants and animals, abundant with all the chemicals kelp forests need.

Part 2
Although too cold for human comfort, a kelp forest grows best where water temperatures remain below 70°F.

Why does the water have to be so cold?
The answer isn’t certain.
However, nutrients in the water vary when ocean waters warm up, and that’s when the kelp forests appear to decline.

Perhaps, in high temperatures kelp can’t get the simple nutri- ents they need for photosynthesis and they starve.

It is also possible that the warmer waters alter local winds and currents in such a way that they block the upwelling of cold nutrient-rich water.

Research has shown that large adult kelp can withstand temperatures of up to 74°F, but the youngest plants perish when water temperatures rise over 68°F.
In Southern California, kelp forests follow a regular cycle of development, growing best during cold periods in the winter and spring, then deteriorating when water warms up in the summer and fall. Extended periods of warm water conditions, like El Niño weather, cause long-term damage to the kelp forests.

My 2-cents ...  pay attention to the kelp growth in SoCal for improved SW fishing success.
I have been aware of the kelp growth; for most of my life, but have only begun to truly understand the meaning of the kelp growth for the past 15 years when I started to notice that the best kelp growth periods in my area are from 64° to 68° for optimum growth periods.
The water in LAH is now 62°.

I hope that someone out there found this information to be as helpful and useful as I do.

SP Dan      <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

NulodPBall likes this post

2California Kelp Forest Empty Re: California Kelp Forest Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:40 pm

f4mnect

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

i did, thanks

3California Kelp Forest Empty Re: California Kelp Forest Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:29 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

😎👍

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum