FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay June 8th
by jeffcpr Thu May 30, 2024 8:04 pm

» Possible live well
by SP Dan Thu May 30, 2024 10:03 am

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 28, 2024 2:04 pm

» Let all of us remember the fallen this weekend!
by Jerdon Sun May 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by BigMaxFloats Sun May 26, 2024 11:19 am

» Looking to do some hats
by BigMaxFloats Sun May 26, 2024 11:10 am

» Some good growth.
by Jerdon Mon May 20, 2024 12:47 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Mon May 20, 2024 9:25 am

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in Let all of us remember the fallen this weekend!
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Classic Accessories Still Selling
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Classic Accessories Still Selling
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Some good growth.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New member looking for something to cover more water

+9
WItuber
Socal Perky
ronniek524
Renegade
Jerdon
SP Dan
HNTFSH
jeffcpr
desmobob
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hi folks,

I just registered here.  I'm a long-time stillwater float tuber.  I currently have my first tube, a very old Browning Predator, my favorite tube, an Outcast FatCat, and a backpacking tube, a Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro.  

I keep the old Browning around as a loaner.  I have yet to use my Backpacker Pro other than a short test.  I hope to do some  hiking to the ponds with it this spring.  The Browning and the Outcast were both chosen due to their capacity.  I'm 6'2" and 250lbs.

I really enjoy my Outcast, but wish I had something that could cover more distance easier and still fit in my Subaru Forester.  I started looking at the Outcast Stealth Pro and the OSG Commander, the the Scadden Assault XR and Zonker Lo Pro.

I realized I don't know the intended preferred uses for the open-front vs. enclosed hull craft.  Is one designed for moving water and one for still water, or is it just a preference thing?

Thanks for any insights on design types and brands/models I hadn't considered.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bob

Last edited by desmobob on Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Welcome to the forum glad you found us and thanks for sharing your tube's with us. As for the open front of a float tube I think it is for one main reason, Easy in and Easy out. I started in the Browning as well sure wish I still had it but it was sold years ago. Don't loss that bad boy its a great set up that can server you well for years to come. Again glad you found us and welcome to the FTFF.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I got a lot of good use out of the old Browning.  I still have the original 10.00x22 inner tube in it!  It does have one abraded spot on the cover where it rubbed against something while being transported in the pick-up truck I had years ago.

Having it as a loaner has gotten a couple of friends who fished in it interested enough in float tubing to buy their own tubes.

I hate to risk jinxing myself by mentioning it, but I think I'm lucky as far as my tubes holding air.  Not only does my Browning still have its first inner tube in it, but my Outcast is still using the original vinyl urethane bladders (with no patches) as well.  

Regarding the design question, I do love the open front design.  I just turned 60 last month, and I'm starting to notice age affecting my activities. Little conveniences become more important.  If there is no open-water advantage to a fully enclosed hull, I'll definitely lean towards an open front tube if it's as efficient at rowing as the full hulls.

Last edited by desmobob on Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

HNTFSH

HNTFSH
FTFF Gathering Officer

You planning on trolling in it? Wink

Bigredokie likes this post

SP Dan

SP Dan

Welcome aboard desmobob. Thumbs Up

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome to the forum desmobob.

The open front design is just easier than stepping over. As far as speed my Cumberland is faster than my old Browning, and my pontoon with oars is faster than my Cumberland. The oars do seem to feel in the way at times, but I still prefer to fish from the pontoon.

I hope this helps.

desmobob likes this post

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I am a Dave Scadden fan,  I have the Detonator LP and I have the Assault (plus a few others)   The Detonator is my favorite of all time.   I do have a Minn Kota 45 motor and I use it for stillwater daily.   The Assault is great too but you are fighting and netting everything off to the side where as the Detonator you are right in front.  I also turn the head of the motor around so it is facing same direction as prop.  It pulls me and I steer with my feet and fins.  Total hands free.  Either or both boats and motors/batteries fit in my Suzuki Grand Vitara.

NulodPBall, slodawg375 and desmobob like this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Renegade wrote:I am a Dave Scadden fan,  I have the Detonator LP and I have the Assault (plus a few others)   The Detonator is my favorite of all time.   I do have a Minn Kota 45 motor and I use it for stillwater daily.   The Assault is great too but you are fighting and netting everything off to the side where as the Detonator you are right in front.  I also turn the head of the motor around so it is facing same direction as prop.  It pulls me and I steer with my feet and fins.  Total hands free.  Either or both boats and motors/batteries fit in my Suzuki Grand Vitara.

These are one of the few boats makers I have not had the pleasure to try I have always admired them. The Detonator looks great and the Assault is kind of like my Maxxon 239 I understand you issue but still a great boat. thanks for sharing.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The difference on the Assault from the Maxxom is both ends of the Assault are rockers. A smaller footprint on the water and easier to move. As you can see in the picture, the front of the boat is not in the water so it tracks like a U shape. Also the seat area on the Assault is inflatable. The whole boat floats. It also has removeable foot rest on the inside.

desmobob likes this post

ronniek524

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I love my stealth pro ( upgraded from my outcast fatcat deluxe);Lots of room. It also can carry up to 400lb weight. I did 450 haha, including a battery and trolling motor. I also like the scotty mount sleeves.

This if folded right it fits in the same bag as the fatcat fits, and it still gives you space inside the bag for the oars, footbar, and the accessory bag.

Last edited by ronniek524 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Renegade and desmobob like this post

Socal Perky

Socal Perky
FTFF Gathering Officer

For covering more distance with inflatables like float tubes first I would look at models where just my legs were in the water producing less drag. Next I might look at a tube that also has oars and in a perfect world I would be able to have my feet and fins out of the water for less drag or resistance. Then if I still wanted more distance in my day, I would just get a kayak and fish from that. Not as small to transport as a tube, easy to handle or move on land. But once you get them in the water you can cover some distance for sure. Best of luck with your decision and I hope you find what fits your needs to a T.

desmobob likes this post

HNTFSH

HNTFSH
FTFF Gathering Officer

Socal Perky wrote:Then if I still wanted more distance in my day, I would just get a kayak and fish from that. Not as small to transport as a tube, easy to handle or move on land. But once you get them in the water you can cover some distance for sure.

Agree with your progression of mobility but I'd never trade a tube for a kayak. I see guys, even on really small water, zipping around with their kayak but most seem to spend more time with paddle in hand than a fishing pole. Slightest breeze blows boat, sitting still to cast a structure almost impossible.

I personally decided years ago if I need to move around fast, have a tackle box, multiple rods, cooler, etc. I'd use a real boat.

I learned a long time ago the benefit of fishing slower and more thoroughly in fresh, smaller water or larger water with the correct launch point. And most of the best spots to fish don't have drive-up parking lots.

To each their own but I've met quite a few guys more interested in equipment than actually catching nice fish.

NulodPBall likes this post

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I do have a kayak (Wilderness Systems Pungo 140 set up for fishing) and three canoes. I hate fly fishing out of a kayak and really hate fly fishing from a canoe. Smile

I have loaded my FatCat into a canoe and paddled to the far end of a lake, beached the canoe and fished from the tube. That works, but it's a lot of extra hassle to load/unload the canoe (and my bad shoulders don't enjoy doing it). That's why I was curious as to which type frameless tube covers water easiest.

I'll be taking a harder look a the Scadden products like the Zonker, Raptor, Detonator, etc.

SP Dan

SP Dan

In 2014, I purchased a brand new fully-loaded 12’ Hobie Outback with the Mirage Drive. It was fast!!!!!
It was also the first year that they came out with the transducer mounted to the bottom-side of it’s hull.

It was fully loaded and ready to fish live bait!

The things I didn’t like, hence I sold it were:

It was way too heavy to carry around, it constantly got wind-blown, the hull was too noisy, I didn’t care for my legs being on-top and straight-ahead of me; instead of down like on a chair or a FT, and my lower-back was constantly sore.

And the main reason is ..... kayaks will roll!!!
Bye bye to all gear!!!!

I sold it and bought a Outsast Fishcat Deluxe-4 but ended-up selling it due to it’s flimsy lil’ plastic lap-tray legs design.

I have ended up in a Cumberland float tube for the last four years and still luv it! I own three. One is for buddies or parts.

The Cumberland still meets all of my needs and I still catch lots of big fish on it!!! 👍
I guess, I would prefer to go slower on a float tube.

Tight-lines!

Last edited by SP Dan on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Socal Perky

Socal Perky
FTFF Gathering Officer

SP Dan wrote:In 2014, I purchased a brand new fully-loaded 12’ Hobie Outback with the Mirage Drive. It was fast!!!!!
It was also the first year that they came out with the transducer mounted to the bottom-side of it’s hull.

It was fully loaded and ready to fish live bait!

The things I didn’t like, hence I sold it were:

It was way too heavy to carry around, it constantly got wind-blown, the hull was too noisy, I didn’t care for my legs being on-top and straight-ahead of me; instead of down like on a chair or a FT, and my lower-back was constantly sore.

And the main reason is ..... kayaks will roll!!!
Bye bye to all gear!!!!

All good points. I still have my kayak but actually looking to sell it in a couple months. Too hard to move around, load, and honestly 40yrs old was some years ago, lol. But I do have an old ODC 816 that’s gotta be 10 yrs old now that I use in the salt. All faded out, pretty ratty looking but I love it. I’ll use it until parts are no longer available then use my super fat cat that I think I’ve used 2 times since I’ve owned it. But I’ve only owned those 2 tubes so I don’t know the ins and outs of the other brands but I’m sure they each have their strong points 😁

Socal Perky

Socal Perky
FTFF Gathering Officer

HNTFSH wrote:
Socal Perky wrote:Then if I still wanted more distance in my day, I would just get a kayak and fish from that. Not as small to transport as a tube, easy to handle or move on land. But once you get them in the water you can cover some distance for sure.

Agree with your progression of mobility but I'd never trade a tube for a kayak.  I see guys, even on really small water, zipping around with their kayak but most seem to spend more time with paddle in hand than a fishing pole.  Slightest breeze blows boat, sitting still to cast a structure almost impossible.

I personally decided years ago if I need to move around fast, have a tackle box, multiple rods, cooler, etc. I'd use a real boat.  

I learned a long time ago the benefit of fishing slower and more thoroughly in fresh, smaller water or larger water with the correct launch point.  And most of the best spots to fish don't have drive-up parking lots.

To each their own but I've met quite a few guys more interested in equipment than actually catching nice fish.    

Good points. When I was using my kayak I was also hoop netting off it. Since I stopped hooping and going offshore it’s sorta a meh for me now. I do agree 100% about working a precise area in a tube, nothing beats it that I’ve tried. I’m sure a kick boat might work and some other designs as well, but a kayak if there’s a current or breeze going holding positions can be a challenge.

I agree with getting caught up in all the gear instead of catching fish. My gear is old, I’m old but that’s ok too.

SP Dan

SP Dan

Socal Perky wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

Agree with your progression of mobility but I'd never trade a tube for a kayak.  I see guys, even on really small water, zipping around with their kayak but most seem to spend more time with paddle in hand than a fishing pole.  Slightest breeze blows boat, sitting still to cast a structure almost impossible.

I learned a long time ago the benefit of fishing slower and more thoroughly in fresh, smaller water or larger water with the correct launch point.  And most of the best spots to fish don't have drive-up parking lots.

Good points. When I was using my kayak I was also hoop netting off it. Since I stopped hooping and going offshore it’s sorta a meh for me now. I do agree 100% about working a precise area in a tube, nothing beats it that I’ve tried. I’m sure a kick boat might work and some other designs as well, but a kayak if there’s a current or breeze going holding positions can be a challenge.

I agree with getting caught up in all the gear instead of catching fish. My gear is old, I’m old but that’s ok too.

All excellent viewpoints!!! Thank you for sharing them!!!
Myself, am in the last months of my 60s.

I consider my float tube “style of approach” to be a simplistic one and yet a minimalistic “style” for what I will carry for bait, gear and for my style of fishing rod set-ups ... and of course according to where I will fish, what they want and how they want it presented to them!!!

Skill ... lies in the seasoned experienced anglers ... that’s it!!
Either you’ve got it or you don’t ... you can’t buy it!!!

I chose the most comfortable ride out-there for fishing the inner-harbors of SoCal, I went with the Cumberland float tube. Thumbs Up

SP Dan

SP Dan

Oh ... and when I designed and built (DDIY) my newest wooden lap-tray ... this was the winner! ... my over-the-top winning deal maker for me!!!

On my Cumberland float tube I’ve got (2) large zippered storage pockets, (1) back-side-of-backrest, full mesh pocket and (1) pocket at the top of the seat for my American flag to wave and now I have all of this flat-surface-area to work on, to eat on, to set my Bluetooth ALTEC speaker on ... ect. on and to also place and measure all my catch’s-on, using my DIY built-in fish measuring-tape with bump-board.

Last edited by SP Dan on Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

HNTFSH

HNTFSH
FTFF Gathering Officer

I just got back after hitting one of the local metro park quarries.  It's convenient but tough to fish albeit there are some nice bass in it.  Don't catch a lot but can catch big which is my goal.  They run 3 Friday nights in the summer where the park stays open till midnight.  That's the best clear water fishing time anyway so I try and hit those.  A few years ago about 10:00 pm I hooked and landed a largemouth that came in at 25 1/4 inches.  It was beat up as hell, long but not real fat.  Had to come from the neighboring little river at some flood event years ago.

I measure not weigh fish so don't know the weight.  Was shocked at the length but even more shocked I didn't have my phone or camera with me (duh).  I put it back.  I've caught 24 inch hogs but never 25.  When I got home I went online and found this calculator that estimates weight based on length.  Here's what it spit out (as I recall):

22 Inch = 4.5 - 5.5 pounds
23 Inch = 5.5 - 6.5 pounds
24 Inch = 7 - 8.5 pounds
25 Inch = Liar

LOL!

I'd put it at maybe a little over 5, like I said it was silvery, beat to hell with scars, and skinny.

Anyway - today I was reminded why I hate kayaks.  Everybody and their brother with $259.00 and a Dicks Sporting goods nearby was out.  I don't mind a guy fishing but these people just get in little groups and paddle the shoreline all the way around the quarry scaring every fish they can off the little bit of structure a quarry offers.  

I imagine as boring as that seems (this isn't like some beautiful country where you can enjoy nature in solace for hours) that kayaks are probably pretty easily found at garage sales for $15.00 come fall.

HNTFSH

HNTFSH
FTFF Gathering Officer

SP Dan wrote:Oh ... and when I designed and built (DDIY) my newest wooden lap-tray ... this was the winner! ... my over-the-top winning deal maker for me!!!

On my Cumberland float tube I’ve got (2) large zippered storage pockets, (1) back-side-of-backrest, full mesh pocket and (1) pocket at the top of the seat for my American flag to wave and now I have all of this flat-surface-area to work on, to eat on, to set my Bluetooth ALTEC speaker on ... ect. on and to also place and measure all my catch’s-on, using my DIY built-in fish measuring-tape with bump-board.

I've seen your catches I know you are after the fish. But if you were on a farm pond or quarry with a blue tooth speaker playing I would sink your boat. :-)

BTW - water was 53 degrees today at surface.

SP Dan

SP Dan

This might be helpful to a lot of people out there fishing largemouth bass who don’t like to hang to weigh your fish!

I don’t like to hang to weigh my Halibut because; a large fish’s-weight can break their jaw-bone or damage their gill plates, and I always plan to release them alive and well.

Their links are the most important to me, their weights are secondary.

SP Dan

SP Dan

SP Dan wrote:This might be helpful to a lot of people out there fishing largemouth bass who don’t like to hang to weigh your fish!

I don’t like to hang to weigh my Halibut because; a large fish’s-weight can break their jaw-bone or damage their gill plates, and I always plan to release them alive and well.

Their links are the most important to me, their weights are secondary.

SP Dan

SP Dan

HNTFSH wrote:
SP Dan wrote:Oh ... and when I designed and built (DDIY) my newest wooden lap-tray ... this was the winner! ... my over-the-top winning deal maker for me!!!

I've seen your catches I know you are after the fish.  But if you were on a farm pond or quarry with a blue tooth speaker playing I would sink your boat. :-)

BTW - water was 53 degrees today at surface.

I play my music so quietly that only I can barely hear it ... nobody else hears it!!! I enjoy hearing all the sounds around me as well
Ha ha ha!!! I really don’t like to hear other peoples music neither! It pisses me off as well!!!

Please don’t threaten to shoot towards this Vietnam combat sniper!!! Ok?!?
Not too friendly! 👍

So, where in mid Idaho do you fish?
I wouldn’t mind trying some pond fishing.

Last edited by SP Dan on Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

desmobob wrote:Hi folks,

I just registered here.  I'm a long-time stillwater float tuber.  I currently have my first tube, a very old Browning Predator, my favorite tube, an Outcast FatCat, and a backpacking tube, a Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro.  

I keep the old Browning around as a loaner.  I have yet to use my Backpacker Pro other than a short test.  I hope to do some  hiking to the ponds with it this spring.  The Browning and the Outcast were both chosen due to their capacity.  I'm 6'2" and 250lbs.

I really enjoy my Outcast, but wish I had something that could cover more distance easier and still fit in my Subaru Forester.  I started looking at the Outcast Stealth Pro and the OSG Commander, the the Scadden Assault XR and Zonker Lo Pro.

I realized I don't know the intended preferred uses for the open-front vs. enclosed hull craft.  Is one designed for moving water and one for still water, or is it just a preference thing?

Thanks for any insights on design types and brands/models I hadn't considered.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bob

So here is one boat I have that has the closed front. The plus is the weight it can hold up to 600 lbs. This is more then likely the big reason for the closed front in this boats.

desmobob likes this post

SP Dan

SP Dan

That’s a good price.
For me, I’m looking for an open front in my float tubes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum