FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Motor project finished!

+4
Whacked
Jerdon
SP Dan
Dannicus
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Motor project finished! Empty Motor project finished! Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:54 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

First I measured carefully and drew around the fin mount that I ordered along with the Bixpy motor.  Then I applied masking tape around the perimeter.  I cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol, and lightly sanded both the tube and underside of the mount.  Finally I cleaned both surfaces well with MEK.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I applied a thin layer of H-66 PVC cement to both surfaces and let it mostly dry.  After applying a second slightly heavier coat to both surfaces mated them while they were still pretty tacky.  I used a regular spoon to press out any bubbles and burnish the glued surfaces together.
The motor slides in and locks in place well. I'm  gonna let everything set and dry thoroughly in the sun today and tomorrow I will figure out how to best secure the battery on top.  I'm excited to try it out this weekend!

Last edited by Dannicus on Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title Change)

Whacked, Jerdon, SP Dan and BHfish like this post

2Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:20 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Quality DIY installation! 👍🏻

SP Dan <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Dannicus likes this post

3Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:06 am

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The motor install and folding wheel system is finished.  Everything is solid and quite easy to wheel around.  I am very happy with how it turned out.

I designed the wheels to be long enough that when they are in the down position the motor is off the ground.

This is what the wheels look like in the up position.

Whacked and Jerdon like this post

4Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:36 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

That looks great. I can't wait to read your review on how it performs.

Thanks for sharing

5Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:31 am

Whacked

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dannicus wrote:The motor install and folding wheel system is finished.  Everything is solid and quite easy to wheel around.  I am very happy with how it turned out.

Looking at this post again...

In that one picture, is the stock motor mount upside down so the wheels can give the Bixby clearance? How is it secured topside?

I thought the wheels would just flip up/down but it looks like you have to take them off to flip positions?

6Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Whacked wrote:
Dannicus wrote:The motor install and folding wheel system is finished.  Everything is solid and quite easy to wheel around.  I am very happy with how it turned out.

Looking at this post again...

In that one picture, is the stock motor mount upside down so the wheels can give the Bixby clearance? How is it secured topside?

I thought the wheels would just flip up/down but it looks like you have to take them off to flip positions?

The motor mount is inverted.  The wheels do flip up and down. The vertical posts go through the motor mount rubber holes on the tube and entire assembly is secured in place with a PVC cross bar I made and a quick release strap around the inverted motor mount bar. Effectively locking everything in place.

Whacked likes this post

7Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:03 am

Whacked

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dannicus wrote:

The motor mount is inverted.  The wheels do flip up and down. The vertical posts go through the motor mount rubber holes on the tube and entire assembly is secured in place with a PVC cross bar I made and a quick release strap around the inverted motor mount bar.  Effectively locking everything in place.

Nice!
That's the way to do it, flippable.

My first boat was a Colorado, with the wheel barrow type wheel.
To fold it you removed the pin, pulled it out, rotated 90deg, put wheel back in the mount, then insert the pin.
It was difficult enough with a empty boat, that thing was a beast. Loaded with gear, damn near impossible lifting the boat up and reaching under to fiddle with the wheel.
Only took a few times before I ditched the wheel, manhandled the beast to the water. Eventually I sold it and bough a MUCH lighter CC Sport, then my Togiak.

jmytuna likes this post

8Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:04 pm

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

That all turned out so awesome . Super happy for you. You’re going to love the Bixpy motor and the new K1 is gonna be super fast .

jmytuna and Dannicus like this post

9Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:46 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

BigMaxFloats wrote:That all turned out so awesome . Super happy for you.  You’re going to love the Bixpy motor and the new K1 is gonna be super fast .

I got the K1....it's awesome!

jmytuna and BigMaxFloats like this post

10Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:28 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Have you had any problem with weeds wrapping around the prop of your motor? Twice I had to beach the tube to unclog the eel grass from the shroud and prop.

I hope this mod does not restrict the performance of the motor, will be testing Thursday at HH.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:39 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

GT wrote:Have you had any problem with weeds wrapping around the prop of your motor? Twice I had to beach the tube to unclog the eel grass from the shroud and prop.

I hope this mod does not restrict the performance of the motor, will be testing Thursday at HH.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have, about 10% of my trips for have the problem. Bixpy makes a replacement shroud with smaller inlet slots. It helped a lot. I rarely have problems in the lakes now, but eel grass is a different matter.

jmytuna likes this post

12Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:00 pm

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

I definitely have, especially at Newport. That eel grass goes right through. Put the tighter screen on which help but not completely. I saw your K1 the other day already has the smaller screen . That looks like it might help. Please keep us posted.

jmytuna likes this post

13Motor project finished! Empty motor Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:46 pm

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

Way too much  eelgrass in LA harbor spots so have not used my motor.

With the high water this year at barrett, able to fish way back in the arms among flooded trees, tons of moss.
Fouled my traditional Haswing  65# brushless tolling motor multiple times which in previous years I could just power thru or raise the motor and clear.

Had to beach the tube and take off prop to get muck out, otherwise I would have been literally up the creek 3 miles from launch without a paddle.

14Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:58 pm

Pablosparky

Pablosparky
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

That's a fine looking vessel you got there. Hope to see it up close and in person next time we get a chance to fishing together again. Which I hope is not too far in the future.

15Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Tue May 07, 2024 3:03 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

As you can see, my screen mod for the Bixpy works. This was at NPH on 5-2-24, evening session with Tont G.

jeffcpr and Dannicus like this post

16Motor project finished! Empty Re: Motor project finished! Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Looking good GT.

That is some gooding lloking grass it kept out [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum