FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Today at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Today at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Today at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pontoon reviews ?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pontoon reviews ? Empty Pontoon reviews ? Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:43 pm

dmit2116

FTFF Gathering Officer

New to forum and looking for advise on buying a inflatable pontoon boat. I am a large guy ( 250 6'4" ) so need to know how to buy the right one the first time. Don't mind spending the money for quality if it is worth it. Will be fishing in a pond that will have hydrilla on the surface in the summer and a small bit of dragging on dirt to launch.Will also want to use a trolling motor in the winter. Thank you all for your input and help.

2Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 am

Welcome to the forum. I don't know much about toons but my first look would be outcast products. Their float tubes are awesome and I'm sure their toons would be as well.

3Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:26 am

RocknB

FTFF Gathering Officer

Personally I like Outcast. I own three, two pontoons(9000) and a Super Fat Cat. If you want a float tube I would strongly suggest the Prowler from Outcast, it's made for big people. As for a pontoon recommendation, well, if you don't mind spending the money, the 9000 is top of the line. It's by far the safest pontoon on the water with four individual bladders and strapless frame attachment.
On the same note Dave Scadden tubes and pontoons are top notch also. The Outlaw is my favorite of his, but any of his boats are quality. Another thing about Scadden most of his boats are designed to accept trolling motors.

4Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:18 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Welcome to the forum you are in the right place there are guys here that can help you out for sure. RocknB looks to have given some great info so far. There will be more coming, I am not sure about Toons as I am still in the tube. But if I had the money I would be looking at Scadden, and outcast as well. Either one I don't think you could go wrong.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

NFO (North Fork Outdoors) Bladderless. lighter and the HIGHEST float capacity specially the frameless. New designs.
I have an 8 foot assault and a 9' Renegade with weight capacity at 800 lbs. but both weigh under 40 lbs and both will fit in a rolling duffel Plus "Lifetime" warranty.
Dave Scadden use to be head designer for Outcast. He designed the SFC.

6Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:06 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
First of all Merry Christmas to all our members!! and a happy New Year!!

Now,... just a few thoughts about pontoons...

I think everyone knows that I am a pontoon enthusiast and that I have been at it a good long time. But!, that being said my pontoons are Very old! particularly my frame. (bought it at the Ugly Bug Fly Shoppe in Casper Wyoming, late spring of 93, while I was there working on Starship Troopers, one of the last features I worked on.)

Since the early 80s I have been a big fan of Buck's Bags because they were one of the first, and for a good long time, one of the best. But times have changed and the advent of Dave Scadden and his innovative designs, as well as the techno improvements all of the toon companies have made things a bit more competitive.

There is no argument that Dave Scaddens boats are light, (packable), simple and well designed, so they are definitely an excellent choice. They are the premium priced boats though, and quite frankly I think a bit out of reach for the average guy. I have very limited experience with them, so can only tell you that I was very impressed with how light and maneuverable they were. As far as a motor is concerned I could not tell.

After the Scadden's, (frameless models) most of the competition's designs are very similar. Two pontoons with a metal frame. I like the twin cell pontoons because they sit a bit lower in profile, draft a bit less, and are a bit faster as well. FishCat has a good one, as well as Buck's (there are probably others but these two come to mind because I have tested them) There is also the added safety of four cells, as opposed to two. All the metal frame toons are motor friendly. (although some more than others)

After that, it is features and price that really separates them. Unfortuantely the price of toons has risen substantially over the last few years. (not sure what that is about).

Now,... taking into account your particular situation.....
When I saw the word HYDRILLA I assumed that you live a bit east of here. And I assumed you are fishing still water. I am also assuming you are Bass fishing primarily. If that is the case may I humbly suggest you take a look at the Buck's River Ghost or a similar design.

The Buck's River Ghost is a 9' framed twin cell pontoon, kickboat. More than enough boat for your size, and a shallow draft boat. Built tough, so dragging it (although not recommended for any boat) is not an issue. As far as motors, not a problem. Not cheap but worth the money in my opinion.

Framed boats are good for adding accessories to because the frame provides hard points to mount to.

Just my opinion,.... bodfish

PS,.... Hydrilla huh? .... Hee Hee,.. you might think about a standing platform and a duck pole!! ( I can show you how to add a standing platform for Duck poling.)

7Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Awesome info Bodfish.

8Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

You bring up good points bodfish and I am a nobody here, but I would like to add light to this starting off with saying, I do not work for NFO.
I started off in the 80's as well with a Bucks Bag Alpine. It is still floating to this day.
Weight here is an issue for me. Bucks stainless frames and Urethane bladders are going to add more weight.
Again, I am talking from "MY" experience.
I too have been pontooning for many years.
I bought the 11 foot Cardiac Canyon in 2000. Loved the low profile. 12" diameter pontoons.
Then I bought the proto boat known as the Navigator II by NFO. It was basically a 9' long Fat Cat with a zipper in the back and a shelve for a battery and motor...No frame. Plus oars.
One thing I notice immediately with the U design, no more turning in the wind. The boat stays straight no matter what direction the wind is blowing.
That boat was a limited time boat, since I have bought the X5. The frame model.
10 1/2 feet long, aluminum frame and 1000 lb capacity weighing it at 65 lbs. Lighter than the River Ghost plus Lifetime warranty not 5 year. But as mentioned $1K more for a longer boat. But there are killer sales.
Another nice thing about the U design, no way the pontoons can come loose from the frame.
The most stable pontoon on the water. The fact one end is an air cell means higher weight capacity.
Now, Frameless models. There are two choices of motor mounts and you can run a GAS motor off them.
One is an easy strap on with three Cam Straps. The other requires gluing four plates to the pontoon.
The seat area offers as much air as one pontoon so basically you are floating on three air cells. More on the larger.
They come with oars.
I have pictures of the X5 with both Gas and Electric motor, of the Assault XX and the Assault plus the Renegade with motor and all the accessories like rod holders, sonar. No frame required.
To top this off, 2013 is bringing an 6' and an 8' version made out of Heart Valve material so the 6' is 5 lbs and 8'is 9 lbs. I have seen these.

I am offering hands on information. I am not talking from what I have read, I have and still own these.

Did I mention I can stand up on my frameless, they are that balanced.
Take this for what it is worth.

9Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 pm

dmit2116

FTFF Gathering Officer

Awsome help guys. Love to have options and here of personal experience with equipment. I like the lower profile pontoon. The wind factor was a real concern and stability because of my size.Just obtained permission for 3 more ponds today. Really is fun to be excited about fishing again. Thanks very much. Dan

10Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:45 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hee Hee!!
Back at ya Renegade!
Good points and like I said before I have limited experience with the NFO line of products. I quite frankly don't have the resources to afford one. ( as well as most of my colleagues). And unfortunately the prices don't seem to be getting better year to year. Anyways,....

I know the weight issue is a hands down, a no-brainer that the NFO boats are far superior. But,... I like the frame. I hang so much crap on my toon, and especially in rough conditions with my motor I like the better structural integrity the framed boat affords.
As far as stability, I think both the NFO boats and most framed boats are stable enough to stand in. ( I can easily stand in mine,) but it is awkward. Everything of use is down around your ankles, and it's a bit scary because your center of balance is so high.(The boat wont capsize as much as I will probably fall out of it!) Sooo,...

I have designed and am in the process of installing a lower standing platform (below the water, for use when still water fishing especially), that is 16' lower than most you will see in the available models. It will store just under the seat and then can be deployed for those moments when you need to stand when casting, or fighting a fish, or whatever,..( Something I have been wanting in my boat for awhile, I am a recovering Bassoholic and standing while casting and retrieving is something I sorely miss...) I hope to modify my electric motor controls as well so I can maneuver while standing with out the need for a leaning bar.

In the final analysis, I like frames cuz I can Mad Scientist all the crazy mods, (wait till you see the camera mounts I have planned!) carry a buttload of crap, and even though they are heavier, I still have that old school tendency to want that "boat" feel when I'm away from shore. Sorry, just me....

Hey dmit2116
hope we haven't lost you here,.... Hee Hee!!

bodfish

PS I don't work for Buck's either! LOL

11Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Again, I have both, there is a difference. You need to try one before disclosing them. Because I own both I am trying to shed light on the advantages to the new uni design.
The op wrote "Don't mind spending the money for quality if it is worth it"
I answered...they are worth it.May I show you some pictures, oh, I fly fish so I do take multi rods out with me.
X5 with motor, sonar rod holders, standing deck.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Here it is with gas motor and electric motor plus elevated seat with standing deck out. Standing deck slides under seat.
Here is the other one set up the other way with electric motor in back. Note the Ram mount on foot peg for sonar and rod holders on deck.

Now Frameless:
Assault

Renegade with two rod holders in the back plus gopro and rod holder in the front
Plus can mount a camera in any of the holders
Easy Motor mount that can be mounted on any of the boats.
Again, because I own both, I am trying to shed some light on these boats. At the shows they go for great prices as I said, the X5 is $100. more than the Bucks Bag and is a foot longer, lighter and a lifetime warranty.
Anything that can be done with a frame can be done without.
When I say more stable, you stand on two separate pontoons they can flip, this is not as easy with an X5
Check this out, two frames on the X5 and still able to stand...Larry is not a small guy

12Pontoon reviews ? Empty Re: Pontoon reviews ? Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Damn Dude those are sweet rigs! I wish I could afford one! I really like the gas motor rig with the elevated seat! I would love to take that out to the Federal Breakwater at night! Calicos and Bugs! Hmmm the gears are turning! I have some Ideas! Do you still own all this stuff? Do you guide? Man your killin' me! Going to have to look at the Scaddens again.

bodfish

PS Hey Guys, These are why I dig the toon! Super fishing platform!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum