FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which swim bait to purchase?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Which swim bait to purchase? Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Fishingkid

FTFF Gathering Officer

I am looking into purchasing a couple swim baits and trying to get started fishing the bigger baits I have a rod and reel setup to handle the bigger baits I have thrown a couple of the cheaper castaic swim baits the 6 in trout with a single hook on top. I have not thrown it very much just a few times shore fishing DVL I'm interested in fishing these baits for large mouth and also occasionally stripers.i understand there is a lot to learn to this tactic it's not just going out throwing a big bait catching big fish. I just started fishing large mouth more this passed spring. Before I always preferred throwing surface iron for yellows.heres my question which bait should I start with? I was looking into something like the spro swim baits. If I plan to fish Perris and DVL would the 6 in rainbow trout be a good bait to try starting with? Should I go with a surface bait slow sinking or fast sinking? I don't own a boat so I will be fishing this bait from shore or my tube at Perris or occasionally a boat when I get a invite. Thanks for any info

2Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Get ready with your credit card cause your gonna need it.
But no, I think to get started go with a hudd 8" 12rof. It's the best around bait from what I'm understand and a triple trout. Bass or trout pattern.
Maybe couple of the locals guys out there will give you there opinion or go check out Last Chance tackle in hemit. There know those lakes and they have s huge selection of swimbaits

3Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Fishingkid

FTFF Gathering Officer

I've spent a couple hundred on surface irons I'm not saying that's my plan with these swim baits just looking to see what 2 baits would be recommended to purchase to get started I understand you get what you pay for. I seen tackle warehouse sells the spro swim bait for 19.99 what's the different rof numbers for the hudds stand for?

4Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:13 pm

The spro looks nice but I haven't seen anyone fish them and the ones who have don't have luck. My tackle shop sells them they don't even fish them lol.
Rof- rate of fall.
If your looking for 2 baits, I would go with a hudd and maybe a TT.
Hudd's are about $23 plus glue for a $1-$2. Glue is for when you hook up and the fish tears it apart. Glues right back like nothing happen

5Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:15 pm

I don't/haven't fished DVL so I'm not sure what would work best there.

6Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Fishingkid

FTFF Gathering Officer

Ok ill look into those baits try doing a little more research on my own online thanks for the info.

7Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Some folks may not like this, but.....I spent a ton of $$$$ on swimbaits, and a rig to throw them with.

Big bass at DVL can, and have been caught on so called "Normal " bass baits, i.e. jigs, ect. I believe you said you have a reel and rod, what is the lure weight on the rod..? Makes a difference. Anyways, you can spend some serious dollars on baits like some of the Deps, and 3:16 baits, sure they are finely crafted, but, others that cost much less will catch big bass also.

If you want larger baits, the 8" Huddelston's work fine, get the ROF 12, and a couple ROF 5's for the shallower parts of DVL, note: the 5's do not come with hooks, you have to rig a trebble hook on the top of the bait. Youtube has a vid on how to do it..search Butch Brown rigging..anyways also you can these baits in floaters for the points in the early morning, be advised, you may get a striped bass green happy 

Stay away from the castaic, they are not worth the $$ in baits, you usually get what you pay for, also there's a market for used baits, some good ones can be had for a Reasonable price, just don't get suckered by the realistic looking baits, for the very reason that you will lose them...sooner, or later, I know cuz I lost over 100.00 worth of swim baits in about 2 months, and didn't catch any better fish the 150.00 bait, vs the 30.00 bait.

There are swimbait sites that you may want to check out, some of those guys have Thousands invested just in big swimbaits..IMHO, Not worth it.

BTW, I sold most of my "big bait " stuff, I still have a few baits left, if you want a good deal, PM me.

8Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:40 pm

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I make Topwater Rats if you would like to try one out, just click on the Austin Lures picture to the right

http://www.austinlures.webs.com

9Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:56 am

Fishingkid

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yeah I'd be interested in trying out one of those top water rats I've never seen one fished just come across one I seen online. What do you charge I can't click on the link to the right I'm on a cell phone that doesn't show that option. Thanks for all the help so far

10Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:38 am

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

They go for 60 plus $8 for shipping
Let me know

11Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:38 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

spro isnt a bad bait to start with DO NOT get a 6 inch u will regret it nothing smaller then 8in in the trout pattern look at some blue gill baits fish30acre has some awesome baits check them out a hudd will be your best bet i would go with a 5 for dv and a 16 for perris also look at the savage gear trouts there 7in but its still a good bait if your fishin shore dont get a fast sink get a floater or a slow sink

12Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:54 am

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I forgot the link:( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

13Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I just happen to have a 8" spro in a slow sink, trout pattern and is like new. Also have a 8" hudd ROF 5..Red Smile 

14Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Fisher wrote:spro isnt a bad bait to start with DO NOT get a 6 inch u will regret it nothing smaller then 8in in the trout pattern look at some blue gill baits fish30acre has some awesome baits check them out a hudd will be your best bet i would go with a 5 for dv and a 16 for perris also look at the savage gear trouts there 7in but its still a good bait if your fishin shore dont get a fast sink get a floater or a slow sink
Great advice right here. He knows those waters pretty good

15Which swim bait to purchase? Empty Re: Which swim bait to purchase? Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:36 am

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Check out Mattlures. Good stuff! Also, since you are fishing from shore you might consider wakebaits. Not as likely to get hung up and lost. From a boat it is much easier to get a bait loose.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum