FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by jeffcpr Today at 11:05 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Tuber in Alaska

+5
rusty hook
.:LOLLY:.
Tony G Fishing
Ifishtoolittle
Martyv
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Tuber in Alaska Empty New Tuber in Alaska Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:48 pm

Martyv

FTFF Gathering Officer

Actually I haven't even bought a tube yet. I hope to get some good input about that here.

I initially hope to fish the local lakes for trout but this is Alaska after all. I might even want to try a little salt water in areas where the tidal currents aren't too dangerous.

The water is still solid here so I have a little time but hope to order something soon.

Any ideas of what a newbie should get. I've been fishing all my life but never from a tube. I'm 60, in need of exercise, and thought tubing would be a good match.

2New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dang! Tubing the salt in Alaska?! This I want to see.

I would think for open areas up in your neck of the woods you would want to stick with a pontoon style float tube.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'm quite fond of this one since you can kick and paddle with it. It'll be good for an upper and lower body workout. For those windy days a oar definitely works much better than your legs. Some of the guys here will disagree with me, but hey that's their opinion.

3New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:39 am

Martyv

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks, what makes that a pontoon style, the longer tubes?  Obviously I'm a noobie.  I do like the option of oars.  The wind can pick up quickly around here.  I do like the looks of that boat.

The only area that I might feel comfortable in the salt is in Whittier.  That is in Prince William Sound and the tide is not strong their.  Cook Inlet has 30 foot tides and the current gets pretty hairy, I think I'll stay out of that.

There are a lot of lakes with some pretty good fishing.  But I do want to get into salmon too.  The salmon are in the rivers and the salt.  It would be a kick to get a big halibut but I'm not sure where that would be possible.  Most guys go out pretty deep for those.

4New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:56 am

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

You're welcome. Dang, I'm not use to looking at so much forest and so little development. Very Happy  It was a little troublesome to find Whittier. It looks like a cool place to tube.

I'm no expert either for tubes, but from what I understand about pontoon-styled tubes is that they have longer bladders.

Oh and by the way, I wouldn't recommend tubing the salt by yourself. Even in the safest areas it's never a good idea. It seems a especially risky since your area looks like a person wouldn't be seen for days if he/she got blown away.

One last thing.  Red Smile  What kind of fish can you get at Whittier? Rockfish? Or is it just salmon? Thanks!

5New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:13 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Welcome to the forum Marty...and im no expert...but im sure plenty of peeps here have great info on what pontoon to use or float....good luck........ Thumbs Up 

Tony g

6New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:27 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the boards.

Float tubes are mainly for smaller bodies of water like lakes and harbors/marinas. That we you can get close to docks/structure with out crashing into them since you are powered by your legs. People have been known to go long distances on them but they are not the ideal vessel for that.

If you are mainly fishing open water I would recommend either a pontoon (since they have oars) or even a kayak. I don't like fishing kayaks in confined spaces because when you hook a fish they will pull you into the a boat or tree or whatever exposed structure is around.

I rambled a bit but I hope it makes sense LOL. Good luck with your purchase.

7New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:59 am

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Hello Marty and welcome to our cave.
I would agree that up there a pontoon would be nice as your up and out of the water more. You can also hook up a motor to you pontoon as well. I have a Cumberland float tube and love it!! However I live in San Diego and in the winter it can get below 80 degrees sometimes, so being in the water is not that bad. I started tubing when I retired and never had so much fun. My wife and I will be traveling to Alaska some time in June and I am taking my tube and polls with us. Perhaps we could meet up? My uncle was the 11th govenor up there, his name is George Parks so we want to see where he live etc. There are some good YouTube clips of guys tubbing in Alaska you may want to see as well, all good information.
Good luck Marty

8New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 am

Welcome to the boards and I could not agree more that a Pontoon Style tube will be the best choice up there in Alaska . I used to go every year in my Teens with the Grandparents and we always had a blast fishing he lakes and also going on charters out into the Sea and hooking some big Halibuts ! Beautiful remote Country to fish anywhere .. Welcome again and don't forget once you get that first tube to post us some pictures up and a report on how the outings went . Be safe

WES

9New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hey Marty, sounds like you are getting some good advice on what you should be getting. You mentioned wind and I think if on a pontoon the wind might mess with you more being that you are not in the water creating drag. But that is what an anchor is for correct. The water temps there would make me say the Toon is a better bet for you. Plus with the distnace or size of the waters your talking about Pontoon make sense.

Now you are talking about ordering, there are a lot of great options and deals, don't forghet though that as a member you get a 15% discount from out sponsor Cover Bonanza. Check them out they might have what you are looking for. Welcome to the board looking forward to some pictures and reports from your neck of the woods.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

10New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:16 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

welcome to the forums be awesome to get some huge halis from a tube out there

11New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:33 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Fisher wrote:welcome to the forums be awesome to get some huge halis from a tube out there

What would you do with it once you got it up, shoot it???

12New Tuber in Alaska Empty Re: New Tuber in Alaska Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:47 am

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome aboard glad u found us

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum