FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Empty SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Yardsaleunderwear

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Question # 1 Saltwater Tubers, Have you ever encountered Sharks?
Question # 2 If so , what do you think they thought you were?
The reason I ask is my uncle lives in Myrtle beach SC and I want to tube in the Intercoastal waterway when we go to visit, I love to catch Flounder down there and my tube would be perfect for getting in under the docks where they hide. Though many sharks inhabit these brackish waters, are they much of a threat to my dangling feet, or should I be in a pontoon and use oars.

2SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Empty Re: SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:33 pm

looking at reports down in Myrtle beach it would be highly unlikely that you would encounter a bad situation . yes I see there are Bull sharks and tiger sharks , heck the world record tiger shark was caught out of Myrtle beach.. your more likely to encounter a shark around the piers like most places and why is that ? fisherman discard there bait / catch fish off of them and its easy pickings for them.

you should be fine

3SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Empty Re: SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:09 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

As I mentioned in PM, I'd be as worried about boaters. A float tube isn't something they encounter much around South Carolina.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

4SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Empty Re: SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:38 pm

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Some of my first salt water tubing was actually done around Catalina Island. My father and I owned a boat but my dad was always scared of getting to close to the kelp... so I would bring my tube and jump off and go deep in to chase calicos. On a few occasions I saw sharks.. none of the great white kind but I did see blues and a small mako ... it kind of sends a strange chill but they just cruied by... but it would nt surprise me if one day a tuber does get attacked by a white or other aggressive shark. As tubing progresses and people push the boundries of the sport then encounters will eventually happen.....

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

5SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Empty Re: SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Yardsaleunderwear

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I also wonder if anyone in the swamps of Louisiana ever float tube with alligators in the vicinity? I have some good ideas and plans of building a plastic kick boat and wonder if I could market it in areas with dangerous inhabitants, I once had an encounter with a 3ft gar hitting my fin as I moved over its nest I guess, she wasn't to happy with me and thrashed around. Don't want to hear of any tuber getting attacked by a shark, alligator, or even a dreaded snakehead.

6SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Empty Re: SCARY WATERS, Scary big Teeth Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yardsaleunderwear wrote:I also wonder if anyone in the swamps of Louisiana ever float tube with alligators in the vicinity? I have some good ideas and plans of building a plastic kick boat and wonder if I could market it in areas with dangerous inhabitants, I once had an encounter with a 3ft gar hitting my fin as I moved over its nest I guess, she wasn't to happy with me and thrashed around. Don't want to hear of any tuber getting attacked by a shark, alligator, or even a dreaded snakehead.
I've seen the Cajun pirogues in Louisiana; they aren't much to speak of.
But your idea has some merit, if an uphill battle convincing folks it is swamp worthy. A solid deck might do the trick.
Check out Venture Outdoors' 6T rigid float pontoon. That ought to give you some ideas. Here's another, and these guys sell the pontoons by themselves:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum