FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

» Post by jmytuna in Umbrella rig
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

swivel for pontoon

+2
Renegade
Pavo21
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1swivel for pontoon Empty swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Has anyone put a swivel chair on thier pontoon? also if they have do you have a lock on it so that u dont swivel? id like to do it just not sure where to start on the chair and if i need to fabricate anything.

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

2swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Pavo21 wrote:Has anyone put a swivel chair on thier pontoon? also if they have do you have a lock on it so that u dont swivel? id like to do it just not sure where to start on the chair and if i need to fabricate anything.

There is pontoons out there with them. The Watermaster pontoon Orvis sold had one.
I would get the locking one like this
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It will bolt right to the bottom of those molded plastic seats. And depending on what pontoon you have, I am betting it bolts the same as the seat.
Why do you want to swivel?

3swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

You dont need a lock on the swivel. Youre only rotating maybe 45 degrees each way, and your feet will most likely be on your foot pegs. Also because if im trolling, im turned towards the side where I mount my motor, and if i get a strike, I dont want a seat lock preventing me from moving.
I got one from West Marine and just bolted it under the seat and onto the frame. I did, however, add some space washers between the seat and the swivel so I sit a little bit higher, about 2 inches

4swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:52 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Casting Call wrote:You dont need a lock on the swivel. Youre only rotating maybe 45 degrees each way, and your feet will most likely be on your foot pegs. Also because if im trolling, im turned towards the side where I mount my motor, and if i get a strike, I dont want a seat lock preventing me from moving.
I got one from West Marine and just bolted it under the seat and onto the frame. I did, however, add some space washers between the seat and the swivel so I sit a little bit higher, about 2 inches

Are you still able to use fin power? Interesting you off set your motor and cruise side ways. Are you going forward?

5swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

On my toon, the rear deck has two places where you can mount the motor, left or right side, not in the middle. Yeah, it still goes forward, and on slow days i turn completely to one side, and hang my feet off the pontoon and just relax..lol
I dont use fins, but thinking about getting a pair, just to keep me oriented in one direction when im drifting, but not for propulsion. I think it would be more difficult than just using the oars or motor.

6swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks. You do know it uses less power being pulled than pushed? Makes a big difference trying to get off in a storm, as you can also row to speed things up. You remove the head of the motor, turn it 180, them put the bolt back in so the prop and handle are facing same direction. Tighten motor straight and steer using fins or oar. That opens the whole area front and to both sides to trolling.
I do encourage using fins. When on the fish, fins can help you stay on them.
But if this works for you, then keep on keepin on.

7swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I saw where people mount the motor in the front, and turn the motor like you described, just been lazy to try it. I wouldnt do that with the motor mounted in the rear though, the prop can eat up the bladders.
I think my motor has a 36" shaft iirc. With the control part sitting in its lowest position, the top of the motor housing is only about 5" under water so turning the prop 180 degrees can slice the bladders.

Johnpeace9@gmail.com likes this post

8swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yikes. That isn't good. Too bad they are off set mounts. Never mind Very Happy 

9swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

well this took off hahahathanks for the info reading everything i might not go swivel but maybe in the future if i change my mind i now have the know how. also casting call, how do u like ur trolling motor on the back do you feel it makes it back heavy? and what size is ur battery and how long does it run for? im 250lbs so trying to stay light but i want a trolling motor for mine, i ahve the same colorado xt as you

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

10swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

My battery is a Group 27. Its pretty heavy. Its rated at 106Ah. I can run it pretty much all day at speed 3 on my trolling motor, and speed 5 to get to a spot "quickly". I dont have a battery meter, but I can get a rough idea of how much juice is left because you can actually see the prop slowing down as the battery drains. But when I get home to charge, it will be at about 20-30% left. A 30lb thrust motor will draw 30Amps at speed 5 (35lb motor draws 35Amps at speed 5 and so on). So with a 100Ah battery, you can run continuously at speed 5 for a little over 3 hours with a 30lb thrust.

You should be ok with a group 27 battery, the toon wont sink. Just adjust the seat position forward to balance out the center of gravity. Its rated for 400lbs but theres a cushion built into that limit.

11swivel for pontoon Empty Yes Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:29 am

Kimall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I float now......
A couple of pics showing the mods I have made so far. As it came the seat was screwed to the frame but I added a ply floor and a swivel seat mount that allows the seat to be lifted up out of the way to make way for a casting platform. Just had it out in a stiff breeze and got back with a dry seat of the pants.Smile
The little boat comes with bags that sit either side of the seat but I was just testing the seaworthiness on this trip..
Now to add fishing type bits and pieces.
Cheers KIM

12swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:18 am

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The only problem I see with this boat is the distance to the back of the boat. Most have a deck right next to the back of the seat. You will have to slide your frame forward to balance out a motor and battery. I would say it is going to be a reach to get to the motor behind you, but it is a reach on my Renegade and Assault XX. The new Fusion will be even more a reach.

Casting decks are fun, but I don't use mine as often as I thought. Of course that will change this year when bow fishing for carp.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

13swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:27 am

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

PAVO, I have been motoring for over 30 years starting with a motor on a donut.  
The #27 is the ideal battery, but if you only go out for maybe 3 hours a trip and you can row to get to locations, the small 12volts used for electric wheel chairs will work.  They are about half the and weight.   Flippers help you move short distances.

I had some friends that bought the Orvis Waterskeeter with the swivel seat and they did not like it, so it is not for everyone. However with a lock, it wouldn't be an issue.

14swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:37 am

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

KIMALL, is your boat one of these:

If so, you are the first I have heard of and look forward to your reports.
How much air pressure can they take?

15swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:49 am

Kimall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Sorry for that VERY late reply. Mine is very much like that one but not exactly. The back part of the frame is part of the rest so when you move the frame forward to balance it the distance to the motor does not change. I have a platform on the back now too and a basket that holds my cooler and the battery for the 40ftlb motor. I was out in it for a few hours in it on the weekend and after 2 trips all the way across the lake the battery meter on the motor still was reading full. The casting platform worked even better than expected for standing and fly casting. One thing I have heard of but did not realise how much difference it was going to make was the amount the pontoons lose pressure as they cool in the water. I blow them up so they are hard to tap on but by the time I got to the other side of the lake (about 10 mins) they had softened a lot. This means more drag which slowed the pontoon a noticeable amount. I could not be happier with this little boat but I am thinking I might get a 55lb motor or maybe a 2hp petrol motor.
Cheers KIM

16swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Kimall wrote:Sorry for that VERY late reply. Mine is very much like that one but not exactly. The back part of the frame is part of the rest so when you move the frame forward to balance it the distance to the motor does not change. I have a platform on the back now too and a basket that holds my cooler and the battery for the 40ftlb motor. I was out in it for a few hours in it on the weekend and after 2 trips all the way across the lake the battery meter on the motor still was reading full. The casting platform worked even better than expected for standing and fly casting. One thing I have heard of but did not realise how much difference it was going to make was the amount the pontoons lose pressure as they cool in the water. I blow them up so they are hard to tap on but by the time I got to the other side of the lake (about 10 mins) they had softened a lot. This means more drag which slowed the pontoon a noticeable amount. I could not be happier with this little boat but I am thinking I might get a 55lb motor or maybe a 2hp petrol motor.
Cheers KIM  

Vinyl bladders are going to be the worse for feeling the effects of temp and altitude. Urethane is much better and bladderless the best. Try setting your boat in the water while you get geared up. In my case I get mine in the water, then put my waders on and string up and put flies on my rods. By the time I am ready to hot the water, the boat is acclimated.

17swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:52 am

Kimall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks mate that is what I plan to do now I know how much it effects the boat.
Cheers KIM

18swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:23 am

Brocour

Brocour
FTFF Gathering Officer

That is the first thing, 1 day after i used mine for the very first time, updated! I bought that swivel, without the lock, for $10. Best investment period for the pontoon! I can now swivel 360 degrees and can use my motor properly as per my profile pictures and videos.

19swivel for pontoon Empty Re: swivel for pontoon Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:53 pm

Johnpeace9@gmail.com

FTFF Gathering Officer

Casting Call wrote:I saw where people mount the motor in the front, and turn the motor like you described, just been lazy to try it. I wouldnt do that with the motor mounted in the rear though, the prop can eat up the bladders.
I think my motor has a 36" shaft iirc. With the control part sitting in its lowest position, the top of the motor housing is only about 5" under water so turning the prop 180 degrees can slice the bladders.
I have mine front mounted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum