FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:56 pm

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

With the mother in law staying over due to her place getting fumigated...times have been quite tough. I got the go ahead as a "thank you for putting up with it" from the wife and I went out to the old faithful coast guard station.
Got out onto the water at 730. The water was going out and I proceeded to go my normal direction of west. Water was much dirtier than last time with a lot more eel grass floating by. Scored a few ok sized spotties going out there...nothing as fat as last time and all of them were pretty skinny. All of them are caught on the 3" sexy smelt with a 3/8oz head. Baby barracuda were putting on a show by going airborn every few minutes. Chasing the pinhead baitfish in the water. Worked my way out to Carnation Ave before getting fed up of getting tossed around by boat wakes and dreading the kick back against the tide at the bottle neck...
I decided to tie on my drop shot and get some practice in for the entire trip back (I was anticipating on a long slow kick). Worked my way back in with one pancake to show for it and a few aggressive light biters. Out of the water at 1130, exhausted and dehydrated. Note to self...make sure bottled water is in tube before leaving car...
I now pose the question: do you guys shake or not shake the drop shot? It seems in my experience, shaking gets a lot more bites, but the bounce and pause gets the hook up. How do you guys set? people are telling me to just retrieve and let the fish set itself, while others are telling me a sideways trout style set. I've done both...never any consistent success though...looking for insight
The hali was taken with a bounce/pause/bounce retrieve, while the nibbles were achieved by the shake. I still hate fishing the drop shot, but I think I'm making progress...

2 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:35 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I like the shake myself but there are times when just dragging it pays off, just have to try different methods to see what works best. As for the hook set swing for the fences, drive that hook home buddy. Welcome back to the water and thanks for the report.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

You didn't say what type of hooks you are using.
I have not fished the saltwater, but I do use the drop shot.
I switched to all circle hooks for my drop shot this year and it really seems the bass and Bluegill are nearly setting the hook for me. I still give a good swing with the rod tho.

4 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:26 pm

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the advice Jeff. I try to get out when I can now.
Jerdon, I'm using size 1/0 Mosquitos. How is it hooking up plastics with a circle? I should give that a try too.

5 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

The circles are not much different than the mosquitos.
It looks a little funny at first, but I'm getting more hooksets in the corner.

6 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:03 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Kin....whats up...way to go bro.....beats getting skunked....im headed out tonight....I work the drop shot but I use a ewg hook4/0 or even 5......as for the action I do both drag one on a troll and work the other...both have gotten hit about the same time with a good hook ratio....sometimes if u let them hook themselves sometimes they get gut hooked...sort of sucks but.it happens....happened to me last wednesday....either way the drop shot is my go to right now....hope this helps...

Tony g

7 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:28 am

supsurfer

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I'm a fly guy so I have not done what is in this video myself, but John Skinner (Long Island Sound) technique and videos are very instructional. Skip to 2:45 for is explanation on the jigging.
Cool underwater footage of fluke following and taking the jig.

DavidT2

8 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:38 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Good stuff david t2! I use that same technique weighted hook with another about 15 inches up......its deadly

Thanks for sharing.....

9 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Fishingdachronarch201E7 wrote:Good stuff david t2!  I use that same technique weighted hook with another about 15 inches up......its deadly

Thanks for sharing.....

Tony G,

With the weighted hook are you talking about two Flukes?
One fluke on the weighted hook and one above it on a dropper loop?

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

10 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Jerdon wrote:
Fishingdachronarch201E7 wrote:Good stuff david t2!  I use that same technique weighted hook with another about 15 inches up......its deadly

Thanks for sharing.....

Tony G,

With the weighted hook are you talking about two Flukes?
One fluke on the weighted hook and one above it on a dropper loop?

Yes sir Thumbs Up its a killer in the bay.....thats what ill be throwing tomorrow Twisted Evil, u have to come out one of these days....

11 To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Empty Re: To shake or not to shake NPH 9072015 Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:09 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thanks for sharing.....

Ths just what I i use in the bay and seem to do great with it, it is a jika rig with a dropshot rig about 8" to 10 " above. and I wiggle it just a little bit. Razz

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum