FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

» Post by jmytuna in Umbrella rig
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

what is your opinion? (not my video)

+2
Komori Jeff
filipino_angler
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty what is your opinion? (not my video) Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:13 pm

filipino_angler

filipino_angler
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

me and my brother got kicked out at this spot couple months ago. lol

Last edited by filipino_angler on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total

https://www.youtube.com/user/kaboom06/videos

2what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:43 am

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That's just nuts! You are in a float tube during the day and you are fishing. You are not sneaking around trying to steal things or rigging up bombs! What's the big F-cking deal?! You are in the water, not up ON any private docks, just trying to have a good time and possibly catch a fish or two. Now I could see if you were back in an empty berth and the boat that belongs there goes to pull in, the boater might get pissed waiting for you to kick out of his way, but even then, I don't think he would really make a big deal out of it. But the thing is.. you made a "mountain out of a mole hill" by challenging the marina security guys and then the Harbor Police. Now more than likely they will put up signs all along there stating: "No Fishing in and around docks". You may have just lost that fishing area. I have to say though that I like your style and your big balls and good for you to take a stand and speak up! I probably would have complained too, but I would just move out and just made my casts in between the boats. I've never done very good in shallow areas anyway.

3what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:01 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

OK I am different, I would just back out but that is me, I don't want any issues, and I agree with Komori a good fight bu that could ruin it for others. I have to say this what is the real law this is the issue. I don't think there is any law that keeps us from fishing open water but really what constitutes open water.

I do have an issue with one comment made, fishing Newport Harbor and fishing near the Coast Guard Cutter. I was told once I could not fish in front of the Cutter, I like I said earlier said not worries my fault I will move and did. It was then explained to me the only reason is when we need to leave on a call we need open water to leave. You might not agree with me but I understand this I would hate to be the one that could not get out of the way quick enough to allow them to get to there call. That understanding comes from my years in EMS and running emergency calls.

I do think the above video and the way it was handled on Law Enforcement side could have been better. But like I said what really is the law on this we should know. This was interesting thanks for sharing, I would like to see what everyone else thinks.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Yo filipino_angler!

You rock brother. I would have not engaged them and just kicked on away from the docks. My worry is how much of my time these guys will burn.That said, you gave out some great information.

Thanks for sharing this.

5what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Jerdon… Filipino_angler said it was not his video.. Wonder who that was in the video?

6what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:26 am

branders

branders
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I agree with Komori... I was the other person referred to in the video that was talking to the Sargent. While I agree with and will fight for your right to stand up for what you believe in and ALL of your constitutional rights. There is always more than one way to get something done. It is important to realize that we represent not only FTFF but the fishing community in a whole. I believe just being cool and saying OK and giving a thumbs up, would have prevented the whole situation. You could have then gone to the other side of the harbor and continued fishing in the docks. Don't forget that there are a lot of fish in that spot and I as well as everyone else would like to catch those fish. I understand that it is important to pick and chose my battles. I believe the person in this video picked this battle and I have to admit it was pretty awesome watching him stand up for himself. Being there I believe this will all blow over and the spot is NOT blown up. BTW I caught over 30 fish that day, it was wide open for me, mostly dinks but super fun day. I cant wait to go back.

7what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I've done as much research in this area as I could on the internet and one of the things you learn right away is that "the law" isn't just one thing and a lot of times it doesn't truly get decided until someone goes to court.

Also, if anyone can actually find any official "Port Of Los Angeles Regulations" .pdf document that addresses fishing in the harbor, please post the link. I can't find anything official one way or the other.

There is no question the marina owns the docks and access to them. The question is the "waterways" and the law there is yet to be decided in my "I am not a lawyer," completely no expertise at all, opinion.

California State law establishes the right of it's citizens access to all navigable waters. In short, you can't own the ocean waters. But the harbor and marina owners (which also include the cities of Los Angeles and Long Beach) would argue that these are not natural navigable waters and since they, in fact, built them, they can control access to them. I don't think that specific part of the law has been tested. No one denies that access to commercial and military docks and immediate waterways should be restricted, and that law is a minimum of 100 yards away from vessels docked or otherwise and stay clear of breakwater entrances and commercial shipping lanes - it's the pleasure boat "marinas" that are the areas of contention.

There was a fishing access case several years ago involving the Long Beach Harbor Commission which you can read about here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you look at the graphic included with the story, it says that all of Los Angeles Harbor is closed to fishing and yet I know from my own personal experience and from postings I've read on this and other forums, that lots of people fish in some parts of Los Angeles Harbor without issue. FWIW, people have been saying on forums for years that it's technically illegal but not enforced.

In point of fact, I was at Los Angeles Harbor the same day and my own experience was quite different. The submarine USS Pasadena was in town for Fleet Week and was docked right across from the launch ramp. This is a "fast attack" sub and looks it. Totally stealth. There were two Navy tenders and two more Coast Guard tenders very actively keeping people away. Every single boat leaving or entering the marina was approached and told to stay clear of the sub. Needless to say, the Harbor Patrol was on their toes. Military security is no joke and not something they take lightly. Naturally, I stayed well clear, but I did kick over to that side of the harbor and right past the Harbor Patrol guys and they waved and asked if I had caught anything. Which, by the way, has been the only reaction I've ever received from any kind of law enforcement people when on the water. A wave or a nod or "catch anything?"

As I was fishing deep into the marina, I was approached by a dock guard who wanted to say hello - he had seen me on YouTube and liked my videos and was planning to get a tube so he could fish there too when he wasn't working. It was a great encounter and we both left with big smiles. So opposite ends of the spectrum for me in terms of security guard encounters.

There is also the fact that boats are not restricted from entering these marinas to gas up or whatever and there are even usually "public" docks just for that purpose. According to the Coast Guard, float tubes are "vessels" and so I don't see why we should have any less access than any other boat.

So what is really "the law?" I think we won't know for sure until someone goes to court.

The Long Beach case in the papers wasn't really about marina access but rather whether or not they should ban fishing wholesale, so I think it's all a bit up in the air with this pleasure boat marina business in all of the harbors. Honestly, I can't even *find* the law, so...

FWIW, the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are available and they say....

"No person shall fish from the walls, docks, or fingers of the Long Beach marinas. Fishing is permitted only from fishing piers or vessels berthed at slips."

I don't think it's really even about the law. I think it's about enforcement and enforcement is whatever happens that day.

For me, I tread as lightly as possible when I fish... for many reasons. Not the least being that I'm there to have fun and drama isn't fun for me. But it's obvious that some people thrive on drama and we each have to do what we think is best.

8what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 pm

branders

branders
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Ornery Bob I agree with you. My encounter with the Sargent was completely different. Our conversation had two hand shakes a few jokes and a whole lot of laughing. We talked about what I was catching and what bait I was using. He explained to me the whole reason they don't want us fishing in the slips is because they don't want lures damaging the million dollar boats, also they don't want criminals boarding boats from the water. He even told me he doesn't really care if we fish there just don't have the police called on us. I don't like dealing with the police and I would be completely comfortable going back and fishing in the Harbor.

9what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:24 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I think this is all good stuff I believe in the tread lightly don't push it and back off to avoid any issues not worth the fight. If we respect those around us they will respect us and it turn no need for Law Enforcement. I understand the statement made "we just don't want and lures damaging million $$$ boats." If you have fished the harbors and taken the time to look around you will see that there is damage to boats and docks from bad casts. And I for one am guilty from time to time in just this issue.

Lets look at it from that point, if we have the million $$$ boat and someone cast up on my boat and scratched it or tore and canape I would not be happy. That would eventually lead to someone calling the cop's and then in time that spot is lost. Again it all comes down to the Law but if there is not one yet and we continue to have encounters like this we will get squeezed out of some good fishing spots. That is my 2 cents.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

10what is your opinion? (not my video) Empty Re: what is your opinion? (not my video) Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Way back when I was a young man, maybe 18-20 years old, we used to go down at night to fish from the private docks in Newport Harbor near the Pavillion and what was then called Art's Landing. We would actually open the gates of private docks walk out and fish mostly with jigs and plastics for the bass and halibut that got very active around the pilings after dark. If we wanted, it would have been so easy to steal things, including expensive fishing tackle and even smaller outboard motors. There were no security cameras then, or security guards. We seldom saw the harbor patrol go cruising by either. When we fished off the Art's Landing docks, we actually had access to their live anchovies, (which was actually stealing) and man did we catch lots of flatfish on live bait! Finally the skipper of one of the party boats told us that we are not allowed to be fishing there at night and we had to leave. Now in 2017, everything is locked up tight and there are guards and cameras everywhere. I've heard of boat/dock owners pointing guns at trespassers. I'm not saying what we did was right, but we thought that "hey, we are just fishing..we are not doing anything wrong or bad" Kids will be kids I guess.. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Kind of funny..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum