FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Umbrella rig
by jmytuna Today at 9:49 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Today at 7:08 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 4 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bladder Puncture Repair Made Easy by SP Dan

+2
TobyB
SP Dan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SP Dan

SP Dan

OK, I had 5 bladders that were punctured from fish turning around and barbing me after their releases.
One bladder had  Rolling Eyes  3 punctures in it!
Maybe I'll start launching the fish 10 ft; thru the air, away from me.  Smile lol
So, it's obvious that I need to repair some bladders tonight so that I can get back out there on the water tomorrow!

Step 1: Fill the interior of the bladder with 1 1/2 cups of a real soapy solution with red dye mixed-in or red food coloring if you prefer.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Step 2: Inflate the bladder (be careful not to over inflate), close the Boston Valve an shake the red soapy solution all over the inside of the bladder.

Step 3: Locate the red bubbles and mark each hole with a small circle around the indicated hole using a permanent marker.

Step 4: Release all of the air from the bladder by partially removing the base portion of the Boston Valve.
Dry the surface around the puncture hole and clean the surface using Isopropyl Alcohol up to 3" all around the hole or an area larger that the patch that you intend to use. Note: Don't worry about the red liquid inside the bladder, it will eventually evaporate.

Step 4: I mixed the Aquaseal adhesive with the COTOL-240 accelerator per the manufacturer's recommended directions. I place a small drop of the Aquaseal on the hole and spread it to 1/8" all around beyond the hole or damage.
I used scissors to cut a circular patch that was at least 1 1/2" beyond the hole being repaired. I centered the patch and pressed down in the center on the hole and then I pressed all of the air out by working all of the surfaces from the center of the patch toward it's outer edges. Do this until you are satisfied that patch is installed well.

Step 5: I like to press the adhesive patches with a flat of drinking water for at least 3 hours.
It should be ready to go ... until the next fish punctures one of my FT bladders again!  Rolling Eyes lol

Note: This is a very good time to take a damp cloth to wipe the inside of the FT skin clean before placing the repaired bladder back inside the FT skin.

Thanks for taking the time to check out this posting,
I hope that this was helpful!  Cool

Please cross your fingers for me for tomorrows 3 mile session!

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Thanks for sharing Dan.

Do you find a lot of sand and dirt inside the skin? I do, and I have not had a puncture in 4 years.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Great great info right there very helpful thanks bud.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

SP Dan,

Ever use Tear-Aid?  Works a treat. Thumbs Up   It is just like a super adhesive tape (all-in-one patch) that comes a 3" x 5' roll and there are two different types for different applications, vinyl/vinyl-coated and fabrics.

Last year fishing Crowley, I developed a slow leak.  Got off the water and headed back into town.  I got to The Troutfitter and told them what happened. One of the staff told me they use this stuff all the time on their rental tubes. He went to a drawer, cut off a 6" section and told me what to do (he didn't want to do it because the shop would have to charge a repair fee, but he stood over me like a hawk and made sure I did it correctly.)  Offered him money; he told me put it away and go just go fish.

1. I pulled the bladder out and held it under water to find the hole.
2. I wiped it with an alcohol wipe from our first-aid kit and dried it.
3. I cut the patch down (3'x3" for a pinhole) and slapped it on. You want to try to do it on a flat surface and you only want to apply it once. Once it's stuck, it's stuck. Take your time.  

The curing time was about 30-45 mins (the time it took to get back to Crowley and unload my stuff) + an hour, to kickback.  He had mentioned that it would be good for the patch to put it back in the skin under a little pressure to form and set the patch in place.  

I've had no problems with my tube since... except for plugging my tube with a streamer when it was windy (not the patch's fault.) I did that repair on the shore.

Next morning, I went back and bought both types of Tear-Aid. I don't mind spending money there because they always get me on the fish with the right info, right flies or this time, quickly, with the right patch kit.  I am not associated with either The Troutfitter or Tear-Aid; just a happy customer of each.

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hi ya chipmcd,

That sounds like a great product!
I'll have to look into it online.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with all of us! Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan

SP Dan

OK ... I went ahead and I purchased a box of the Tear-Aid on eBay.  Thumbs Up  It's worth a try.

I've used only vinyl patches in the past and most of them would let go after a while and that's why I've been putting a small dab of the Aquaseal directly on the hole(s) prior to attaching the vinyl patch, for extra assurance.
So far my method has worked 100% for me but if Tear-Aid is as good as you say it is then I'll be able to stop purchasing Aquaseal. Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Well, my hope is that you never have to use it. Smile    But, if you do happen to take a machete to your tube's bladder, keep the aquaseal around for your peace of mind but if you have the same luck I had with it, I think you'll be fine and you won't need it.  You might want to try a longer cure timefor the patch if you have the luxury.  I just wanted to get back to fishing and the confidence of that associate at The Troutfitter gave me assurance.

BTW, under the FAQ's on Tear-Aid's website, they claim that the vinyl repair can be applied underwater (situation - vinyl pool repair.)

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

chipmcd wrote:Well, my hope is that you never have to use it. Smile    But, if you do happen to take a machete to your tube's bladder, keep the aquaseal around for your peace of mind but if you have the same luck I had with it, I think you'll be fine and you won't need it.  You might want to try a longer cure timefor the patch if you have the luxury.  I just wanted to get back to fishing and the confidence of that associate at The Troutfitter gave me assurance.

BTW, under the FAQ's on Tear-Aid's website, they claim that the vinyl repair can be applied underwater (situation - vinyl pool repair.)

Wow, underwater that is great to know thanks for sharing this and the whole thread.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

SP Dan

SP Dan

First off .... I want to thank chipmcd for his sharing this fantastic product with me.

Sat 10-20-2018 it's 0840 hrs and it was a beautiful morning at LA Harbor and suddenly I get a heavy tap followed by a pull down of my rod tip that brings my scenes to full alert!
POSTER ON THE POST OFFICE WALL READS .... THE CULPRIT!!
I get this Sculpin aboard, I photograph it's measurement on my lap tray and I toss it away from me during the release and then all-of-a-sudden I felt it  Shocked  brush back against my fin as it panicked and swam the wrong way ...  Shocked back  towards me and my float tube!!!!! NOOOOooo!!

Razz  PHEWW!! ... I felt fortunate that it only ran into the rubber of my fin and not into myself or my tube .... WRONG!!
So at approx 0900 hrs as a habit ... I routinely check my air bladders through out my sessions ... and ... Oh no! Left side is deflating fast! Dang!! Not again!! It's a good thing that I always carry my air bladder inflation tube with me.
I huffed and I puffed air back into my bladder all the way back to my launch site.

I cut my session a bit shorter that I had planned.
I get home and I removed the deflated air bladder, I put a small splash of water inside the bladder, closed the Boston valve and then inflated it (it still had some soap and red dye in it from my previous repair) I shook the soapy /red dye and immediately the puncture appeared. I took a permanent marker and I drew circle around the area.
I deflated the bladder, cleaned the area using alcohol and I applied the repair patch.
Note: The adhesive on the patch is super aggressive!

No more of the 2-part Aquaseal for me!
This product is the BOMB! My repair was completed in just minutes rather than in hours.

I have already re-assembled and re-inflated my float tube and it is presently loaded-up in my truck and ready to go for tomorrow's session!

FYI ... I find that the most difficult part of the entire bladder repair operation is to properly get the air bladder set back inside the FT skin with the Boston valves also being properly positioned at the same time.
It took me (3) three deflates, (3) re-adjustments and (3) re-inflate attempts in order to finally get it correct! lol
It's not like I'm new to this!  Very Happy  Ha ha ha!!

Thank you again chipmcd! Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Evolution of tube repair!
Good information right there.

f4mnect

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

greatest repair thread ever. this morning my bladder went flat, i panicked, i have to fish when water gets cleaner...so i bought another float tube, will be here friday. then i did a search of forum and found this gem by sp dan. ran to west marine, grabbed tear-aid and some squid, 1/2 hour later my 1 hole repaired and come friday i'll have 2 float tubes and a very pissed off wife. thanks dan

mac_2_nite likes this post

SP Dan

SP Dan

I sure that there are many versions of repairing a flat, this is just what I worked out for me and it seems to work ok!

SP Dan <"))><

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum