FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for INPUT to build a special E-Zine Issue (Buyers Guide).

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hi guys looking for your professional opinion on building a buyer guide for new float tube fishermen.  I have some questions:

1. If you were shopping today what is it you would be looking for in a float tube.  

2. What were some mistakes you made when you first started looking at and purchased your first float tube?

3. What makes your float tube the right one for you.  

4. Any advice you have for someone that is new to the sport and buying for the first time.

I have my thoughts but I would like to hear your thoughts as well.  thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by jeffcpr on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would look at the Cumberlland. I have really liked the one i have and i like the larger gear pockets and the storage behind the seat.
My first mistake when purchasing my first tube was just setteling for the something better than the round tube I was in. I went with the navigator II but should have done research and went with the tear drop style tube. That was my fault, i was working at Turners and went with what we had there and didn't do much research into it.
The cumberland is comfortable, wide and has plenty of storage for all my gear. It keeps me high and dry.
I would say look into all the different styles of tubes, talk to the guys and gals on this forum. You can get a lot of great informaiton on here. Then make the choice that is best for you and in your budget.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Great detail thanks for posting up and sharing.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Hi guys looking for your professional opinion on building a buyer guide for new float tube fishermen.  I have some questions:

1. If you were shopping today what is it you would be looking for in a float tube.
   I start with my budget first, then it depends on what I would use it for. If I had to walk more than a ¼ mile I would have a different choice than if I could park at the edge of the water. I have a Creek Company pontoon that I built wheels for, but it does not like to roll on trails. I have a Cumberland that I could carry quite a way if I needed to. I would like a combination of the two that weighs 15 pounds.

2. What were some mistakes you made when you first started looking at and purchased your first float tube?
  The first/only pontoon I bought took a lot more time to assemble and disassemble than I expected. I have no plans to disassemble it again. So, if you are looking at a metal framed tube(pontoon) consider the set-up times.

I keep adding and changing my rod and tackle storage systems. So, I am not sure I will ever find the “one” right tube. For any type of a hike to the water, the smaller Cumberland is better. If I want to cover more than 2 miles on the water the pontoon is better. Also, I like to fish heavy weed beds and the pontoon gives me a way to get my feet out of the mess.

4. Any advice you have for someone that is new to the sport and buying for the first time.
   Let you budget dictate; this sport is constantly evolving, and you will too. Figure out where you will store it and how it will travel. I like to store my tubes semi inflated and so I need to have a spot for that. My Cumberland sits on a shelf and my pontoon hangs from the rafters over my car. For travel I add a few puffs of air and drive to the water with them nearly inflated, then I just top them off with air, all lung power, and am ready to go. If your storage or car requires you to travel with the tube uninflated consider how you will inflate it at the water. I don’t think I would disassemble and reassemble my pontoon for anything shorter than a weeklong trip, and even then, the Cumberland is just plain easier to transport.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

All great info thanks Jerdon for stepping up and answer with your experience.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Just so everyone knows the buyer's guide will be open to anyone that needs it and it will be in the welcome email when new members join. I have plans to do and a few different guides like this in the very near future.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Still looking for a little more input from members on this subject.  What do you have to add to the experience of getting in to float tube fishing for the first time?

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

1) If I were shopping for a tube today, I would be looking for stability, overall weight and portability. I want a stable tube that will sit higher out of the water but not so high where windy days will cause some issues. Knowing how far I tend to walk from the car to the edge of the water (and back) also has me thinking of how heavy tubes can be. Lastly, even though I have an SUV, I like to know I can pack it away to a smaller size just in case I need to transport more than a tube.
A lot of people also like to look at how much storage space a tube has, but at this time...we can get very creative with pvc and plastics to build what will fit/we need.

2) When I purchased my first tube, I did a lot of research. However, I never took into account of overall weight and other small issues that I mentioned in the previous answer. It was an ODC 420. I loved the tube, but man, it was heavy and it didn't pack away so nice due to the heavy construction and super thick seats. Mind you, I didn't have an SUV at the time and was driving a two door coupe. I made it work, but the transport to/from the car and the pack up left a lot to be desired.
Keeping that in mind, my second tube was super light weight and super compact. It was a Caddis pro 2000. It's a super low riding V shaped tube and was light as a feather. However, with the weight reduced, it also meant I wasn't going to sit as high. I was often sitting in an inch or two of water. It says a lot too since I'm a light weight (130lbs). Also, it didn't have much reinforcement so I had to be more careful in fear of popping one of the chambers
I loved how wind never really gave me an issue, but due to sitting lower in the water, it caused me to use more energy to move around. Also, the storage tilted a little inwards getting in the way of your elbow. I did appreciate having a cross bar to reinforce the tube/netting tray though.

3) I currently ride a cumberland. Its a great tube and meets my needs. It's lighter than my ODC and sits higher than my Caddis Pro. Ample storage on the side pockets that dont get in my way. Also it is reinforced in the right places so I don't need to be super weary of sharp objects. Things happen and it can still rupture (search SP Dan's post where a Sculpin almost sent him to davey's locker).

4) If you are looking for a tube, ask to try some different ones out. U shape, V shape and the super fancy maxxons. Find one that will fit your fishing style the best and will see the most use. If you are hiking to honey holes it would make little sense to pack a heavy tube and it makes little sense to use an ultra light in a super hazardous area. Don't be afraid to look in the secondary market!! THere are lot of used tubes out there that work perfectly fine at a fraction of a cost of a new set up. Sellers often have packages including fins/racks and pumps. Look around before buying, deals pop up often. Lastly, remember tubes can be modular. As long as you are comfortable with PVC/Glue/screws, you can make anything work to fit on a tube.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum