FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

I could really use the group's expertise and help.

+3
jeffcpr
BigMaxFloats
Dannicus
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

First you should know a few things to understand my current challenges.  I own a Fish Cat that is approximately 20 years old.  I used it weekly for perhaps 10 years but then work and family issues took me away from the sport for an extended stretch.

Covid-19 effectively killed my business and I have elected to retire at 62 (this coming June)  The inactivity of the last few years and the stress of losing my business probably played a roll in the fact that I gained about 100 lbs.  I topped the scale at 349 lbs.   Since then I have worked hard to take off weight and am currently around 280.

I decided that getting back into a float tube would serve several purposes.  The zen of being on the water to alleviate stress, the happiness of fishing which I have loved my whole life, and the low impact exercise I really need to continue on a better path for my health.

When I dug my Fish Cat out of storage I had to replace both valves as it would not hold air.  After doing that I pumped it up and although it held, it looked as if the seams had seen better days.  As far as waders... forget about it.  At 5'10 280 lbs. and a 57" chest.   I have ordered and returned 2 sets from Amazon already.  Even at my college football play weight of 220 my chest and leg size were a challenge in finding waders.   Now it appears I am going to have to settle for waders with a 12 to 15 foot size (I am a size 9) and an inseam almost 10 inches too long in order to get waders big though in the hips and chest.

I very much want to get back on the water on a good tube, but I have a fixed income and limited budget.  I have another set of waders on the way and hopefully they will work even with huge feet.  I am really looking to get advice on a good quality tube and any other thoughts regarding new products and trends you think would be helpful.   I am certainly not new to float tubing, as I have been doing it since 1975, but the recent 10-15 year break I took has offered up a plethora of new products and now feel like I am almost starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or assistance you all might offer.

Kindly
Dan
San Diego CA.

Pablosparky likes this post

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

Well Dan here goes:
I’m roughly your same size and face the same challenges. Let’s start with waders. I use the short stout xxl Caddis deluxe breathable stockingfoot waders. They’re a little baggy but on the float tube it doesn’t seem to be an issue. The stocking foot is definitely too big for my size 10.5 but I sometimes use a surf booty over it to encase everything and gives you some traction and protection while walking around from the truck to the tube/beach. For the streams and lakes I use a regular wader boot and pull the socks up tight first. That works just fine. Check out Jeff’s video on the surf boots and the fins he uses over them. Works great.

Now for the tube if you’re going to upgrade . I have the Classic Accessories Cumberland and it’s rated at 350lbs. So me at 275 and all my crap ( I’ve modified it up pretty nice) it still floats nice and is super maneuverable. I’m very happy and it was reasonably priced. I think Amazon is $225 right now. There are some sweet hybrids out there right now for us big guys that can carry over 400 and are real fast but some extra cash will have to go out too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here’s a couple of pics of the Cumberland. One with my daughter’s Decalthlon FLTB5 which she loves and would be a good option for you at $269, and one with Jeff’s new Float Plus 1. The Float Plus 1 is awesome. I’ve tested it out for a very short bit and can tell you it’s stable and fast. And has the provisions for a motor. Read Jeff’s review for more details. Downside is that It’s about $800 to US. Maybe a little less.

If you’re going to keep the FatCat, get some TearAid type B and seal the seams of the bladder and put it back in the fabric cover and it may give you some peace of mind that you won’t have a leak on the water.
Whatever yiu need to do to get back out on the water. I agree it’s very therapeutic both physically and mentally. And you’re in San Diego and there’s some nice fishing in Mission Bay. Go get some .

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

jmytuna and Dannicus like this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dannicus, I have to say I think BigMaxFloats nailed it on the head. I agree with the Cumberland as a good option to get you on the water. It's weight rating is good and it is priced good. Sometimes they can be hard to find so when you see one if you and ready to buy to wait to long.

For waders you are in a pickle but the short stout xxl Caddis deluxe breathable stockingfoot waders could be a good beat. Wader boots are a great idea as well for longevity of your waders. There are some great hybrids out there like the Float Plus 1 but they can be pricey (although well worth it in the long run).

As BigMaxFloats said any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Welcome again to the forum and good luck in your search for your needed gear.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men

Dannicus likes this post

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thank you for your kind responses. I have been looking at a lot of float tube models. Pretty much leaning toward the Cumberland at this point. I should have clarified that the seams I was referring to were the ones in the material covering the bladders and not the bladders themselves.

Interestingly, the waders I have on the way now are the exact ones you mentioned. Caddis XXL short stout. So you have risen my hopes that they will work. I am really hoping that my old Fish Cat will hold our for at least a few outings as I look for my new tube

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

Keep us posted and I’m hoping to make a Mission Bay trip this summer so I’ll hit you up when it gets closer and maybe we can get out together.

Dannicus likes this post

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey guys, I just thought I'd let you know I pulled the trigger and ordered a new Cumberland Tube from Amazon. Thank you for your educated advice. I am confident that I will love it.

Pablosparky and Dannicus like this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dannicus wrote:Hey guys, I just thought I'd let you know I pulled the trigger and ordered a new Cumberland Tube from Amazon.  Thank you for your educated advice.  I am confident that I will love it.

Congratulations that is great you are closer to getting out there in the water.

Jerdon and Dannicus like this post

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

That’s awesome . Can’t wait to see it . You’re gonna love it.

Dannicus likes this post

part.time.angler

part.time.angler
FTFF Gathering Officer

I got say sad to hear that You had to force an early retirement but it is great to hear that you will have more time for tubing. Congratulations on the weight loss. This sport can definitely help in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I’m about the same body shape as yourself so I understand the difficulties in finding the right fits. I got say that I love my Cumberland. Just wish the seat was wider and softer. Let me know what you think. I’m looking for a way to up grade the seat. Well good luck to you.

Dannicus likes this post

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hey Dan,
I have recently relocated down to the Ramona area in SD and it puts me about one hour away from Mission Bay!
Which waters do you fish?

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SP Dan wrote:Hey Dan,
I have recently relocated down to the Ramona area in SD and it puts me about one hour away from Mission Bay!
Which waters do you fish?

SP Dan

Hey Dan, I fish Otay a lot.  Also San Vicente, El Capitan, Hodges, Murray, Cuyamaca.

I also like fishing Mission Bay, caught a lot of sandies and a few halibut there.   I'd like to try some other areas such as San Diego Bay but I don't know the areas very well having primarily fished lakes.

Last edited by Dannicus on Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. My new tube arrived yesterday. I plan on taking it on its maiden voyage this Sunday. The Caddis waders will work too by the way, so I am stoked to get out there.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dannicus wrote:Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.  My new tube arrived yesterday.  I plan on taking it on its maiden voyage this Sunday.  The Caddis waders will work too by the way, so I am stoked to get out there.

Ya buddy that is great looks sweet and ready to float. Good luck be safe and let us know how it goes.

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well, had a four fish morning in my new tube and waders. Nothing huge, but still a successful first outing! Thank you all for kind help and advice.
Regards, Dan

Pablosparky likes this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dannicus wrote:Well, had a four fish morning in my new tube and waders.  Nothing huge, but still a successful first outing!   Thank you all for kind help and advice.
Regards, Dan

Ya buddy nice work the smile says it all. Welcome to the float tube world

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

That’s awesome. Glad you got the new tube out and got a few fish. How did the waders fit??

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

BigMaxFloats wrote:That’s awesome.  Glad you got the new tube out and got a few fish.  How did the waders fit??

They fit. They are a bit long and the feet too big, but all in all they worked nicely. Again thank you all for your help and advice. Looking forward to another day of fishing this weekend. I got a fish finder mount, but likely won't get it wired before this weekend. I will try to take some pictures of the rig after I get it the way I want it.

jeffcpr likes this post

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

BigMaxFloats wrote:Well Dan here goes:
 I’m roughly your same size and face the same challenges.  Let’s start with waders.  I use the short stout xxl Caddis deluxe breathable stockingfoot waders.  They’re a little baggy but on the float tube it doesn’t seem to be an issue. The stocking foot is definitely too big for my size 10.5 but I sometimes use a surf booty over it to encase everything and gives you some traction and protection while walking around from the truck to the tube/beach.  For the streams and lakes I use a regular wader boot and pull the socks up tight first. That works just fine.   Check out Jeff’s video on the surf boots and the fins he uses over them.  Works great.  

Now for the tube if you’re going to upgrade .  I have the Classic Accessories Cumberland and it’s rated at 350lbs.  So me at 275 and all my crap ( I’ve modified it up pretty nice) it still floats nice and is super maneuverable. I’m very happy and it was reasonably priced. I think Amazon is $225 right now.   There are some sweet hybrids out there right now for us big guys that can carry over 400 and are real fast but some extra cash will have to go out too.  

Here’s a couple of pics of the Cumberland.  One with my daughter’s Decalthlon FLTB5 which she loves and would be a good option for you at $269, and one with Jeff’s new Float Plus 1.   The Float Plus 1 is awesome.  I’ve tested it out for a very short bit and can tell you it’s stable and fast. And has the provisions for a motor. Read Jeff’s review for more details. Downside is that It’s about $800 to US.  Maybe a little less.

If you’re going to keep the FatCat, get some TearAid type B and seal the seams of the bladder and put it back in the fabric cover and it may give you some peace of mind that you won’t have a leak on the water.  
Whatever yiu need to do to get back out on the water.  I agree it’s very therapeutic both physically and mentally.  And you’re in San Diego and there’s some nice fishing in Mission Bay. Go get some .  

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.  

NICE TRUCK [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

Yep . Looks familiar, huh?

rjb_Skins

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dan...I have not been on the forum for a while and read your note about trying to find the right waders to fit you. I have the perfect solution for you...Wader Skins. You can check them out on my website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I advertise here on the forum, and SP Dan has a pair and can tell you about his experience. We offer both Wader Skins Pants & Leggings. And the best news of all, we can custom make them (right here in California) to fit you perfectly. You just need to take a few measurements, and we have the made for you. If you want more information, let me know.

Ron Beltramo
Founder of Wader Skins

jeffcpr and Pablosparky like this post

http://www.waderskins.com

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

rjb_Skins wrote:Dan...I have not been on the forum for a while and read your note about trying to find the right waders to fit you.  I have the perfect solution for you...Wader Skins.  You can check them out on my website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I advertise here on the forum, and SP Dan has a pair and can tell you about his experience.  We offer both Wader Skins Pants & Leggings.  And the best news of all, we can custom make them (right here in California) to fit you perfectly.  You just need to take a few measurements, and we have the made for you.  If you want more information, let me know.

Ron Beltramo
Founder of Wader Skins

Ron, thank you very much and these look amazing! I got a set of Caddis waders that are working for now, and am trying hard to take off another 60 pounds. When I get back to another normalized weight I will most definitely be looking you up to get a pair of these. I assume they work by adding dive boots for use with the fins right?

jeffcpr likes this post

rjb_Skins

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dan...Would suggest you wear wading socks (either from Adamsbuilt or Simms) and your fins. That's what I do. Look forward to when you get to the weight you want, and we will be ready to take those measurements and get some Leggings that fit you just right.

http://www.waderskins.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum