FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lunging humpback whale nearly swallows up surfer, kayaker

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

A woman on a surfboard and two people aboard a kayak were nearly engulfed by a humpback whale that charged out of the water, its mouth agape, just a few feet away. Barb Roettger's video of the amazing encounter, which occurred near Santa Cruz, Calif., was posted Wednesday. The incident is one of several recent close calls in the area, where a small pod of humpback whales has been surface lunge-feeding on anchovies unusually close to shore. They've become a major draw for kayakers and boaters and at least one kayaker has been capsized, and a sailboat was struck by a whale. This circus atmosphere has led to an enforcement presence in an attempt to keep people at a safe distance from the potentially dangerous leviathans.

"We had our enforcement guy out on the Harbor Patrol boat yesterday trying to clear people away from the whales," Paul Michel, superintendent for the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, told the Santa Cruz Sentinel on Wednesday. "We were out there again today on the water but of course the whales moved off. Once the bait fish went away the small pod dispersed. Wherever there is food they will be, so they could come back and we will keep enforcement going through the weekend."

Officers with the California Department of Fish and Game and Santa Cruz Harbor Patrol also have been on the water cautioning boaters and kayakers, explaining that the whales are protected by federal law and harassing them in any way can draw fines of between $2,500 and $32,000. People for the most part were being cooperative.

Humpback whales, which can measure to 50 feet and weigh 40 tons, are easy to locate because while feeding, they herd giant schools of anchovies to the surface, and birds diving on the bait fish give away the presence of whales. Of course, when the whales are lunge-feeding vertically, breaking the surface with open mouths spilling with anchovies, they're nearly impossible to miss from any nearby vantage point.

Here is a link to the article online and video

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

dam those ppl came close to getting eatin i still dont see the big deal about going and watching some whales

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That's crazy! Lucky no one got hurt but how awesome would it have been to watch so close...

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lmao i would have shit me self if that was me lol

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I normally don't get spooked when diving, but no way would I be sitting in the middle of bait swimming around me while the birds are circling and wales are feeding.

Luckily the DFG was watching closely and ready to write a ticket, for safety reasons of course.

Mendozauly

Mendozauly
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey do they cover the seal also?? The animal protection??

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Mendozauly wrote:Hey do they cover the seal also?? The animal protection??

Yes. All seals are protected under the Marine Mammal Act of 1972. All marine mammals such as whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, and sea lions are protected.

On a side note so are Opossums. I know a guy who is fighting a felony because he put an Opossum in a cage and dropped it off in the woods a few miles from his home after it attacked and killed his pet dog. Apparently it's against the law to relocate one even if it's made your yard it's home and threatens your family and children.

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Really?! If it killed my dog I wouldn't have put it in a cage. So, that was a nice thing he did.

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

n2deepfsw wrote:Really?! If it killed my dog I wouldn't have put it in a cage. So, that was a nice thing he did.

Yeah I feel the same way. He was more concerned with the thing attacking one of his kids and I can't blame him him for what he did. However he's looking at a maximum of $50k in fines and up to 5 years in jail since it's a protected species and a felony to relocate them.

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I can't believe there charging him with a crime, he just relocated the animal. If it attacked and killed his dog what would have happened if it was one of his children. I believe there was no option for him.

Mendozauly

Mendozauly
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

LOL, Sorry but I know that even a proted animal can be killed if it's attaking a human and especialy a child. I had a friend that shot and killed two breadding montain lion. They had killed two red nose pit's and charge after his son that was crying for his dogs to come back and stop fighting the mountain lion. He shot and kiiled them both with his 12 gauge and several buck shot's. he was never charged. Did not ever come out in the new's.
Sorry family first above all, I would have made a nice big hole in the back yard and be done with it. The less people that know the better and maybe no one needs to know. Sorry but I dont care when it come down to my little princes, she cant defend her self. That is why god gave her a daddy that will !!!! NO SYMPATHY Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Mendozauly on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add my two cents)

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

wait when were opossum protected those things are all over shot those things in ohio at my dads @#&* those things they play dead and then try to bite you when u get close ppl get rabies from them

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Mendozauly wrote:LOL, Sorry but I know that even a proted animal can be killed if it's attaking a human and especialy a child.

That's just it, there wasn't an attack on a "human" it was just his dog, but he wasn't going to wait around for that to happen before he did something and neither would I.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum